mtbr member

Wheelset build questions

I am thinking about building a wheelset. I'm kinda thinking of going with:
    stans olympic rims
    sapim cx-ray spokes
    dt aluminum nipples
    am classic disc hubs or 240 disc hubs

i have some questions about using the sapim spokes. since they are bladed am i going to need to drill out the hub flange to fit the wider spokes? i'm wouldn't be too thrilled about doing that. also what do you guys think about those stans rims?
    thanks
    -Mpap

mtbr member
    The spokes are only bladed in the middle section, the ends are normal shaped.

That's the rim end, but you get the idea.

As for your other questions, I'd recommend the American Classic hubs over the DT swiss ones. My last wheelset (Bontrager Racelite) used DT hubs, and I've found the AmClassic to be a bit more reliable.

mtbr member
    well is the middle section of the spoke too wide to fit into a normal mtb hub flange?

mtbr member
    Do you see how those spokes taper down to a normal shape at the end? They do that at both ends, so they should work like any other spoke.

mtbr member

The spokes will fit..

thru any standard hub flang without the need to do any drilling.

KMan

mtbr member
    thanks for the quick answer...i leave a question when i go to bed and the answer is there when i wake up. do you guys know the best place to get these spokes? i see that universalcycles.com has them for 2.49 each. any cheaper.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...9&category=780
    thanks
    -Michael

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    The spokes are only bladed in the middle section, the ends are normal shaped.

That's the rim end, but you get the idea.

As for your other questions, I'd recommend the American Classic hubs over the DT swiss ones. My last wheelset (Bontrager Racelite) used DT hubs, and I've found the AmClassic to be a bit more reliable.
    You must have just had bad luck, because in general the 240's are vastly more reliable than the AM Classic, not even close.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    Do you see how those spokes taper down to a normal shape at the end? They do that at both ends, so they should work like any other spoke.
    It's not about the ends, he's talking about the width of the bladed section in relation to the diameter of the spoke hole at the flange. If the bladed spoke is too wide it won't go thru the holes in the flange of the hub unless the hole is slotted by hand or is slotted from the manufacturer.

mtbr member

I got mine from

Thorusa, same price give or take a cent, but the black CX-Rays are cheaper at Thor.
    http://www.thorusa.com/product10.htm

I see that Universal have 10% off offer on for order over $100 so a set of CX-Rays should qualify

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by consolidated
    It's not about the ends, he's talking about the width of the bladed section in relation to the diameter of the spoke hole at the flange. If the bladed spoke is too wide it won't go thru the holes in the flange of the hub unless the hole is slotted by hand or is slotted from the manufacturer.
    yeah, thats what i was thinking. is attempting to slot them myself to risky. i've heard it voids the warranty. are there any hubs that are pre slotted. Thanks
    -Michael

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by mpap89
    yeah, thats what i was thinking. is attempting to slot them myself to risky. i've heard it voids the warranty. are there any hubs that are pre slotted. Thanks
    -Michael
    You don't need to slot them at all, as someone already said above, CX-Ray's fit through normal spoke holes just fine. I build with them all the time and have never had to use a slotted hub.
    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Don't CX-Ray spokes come with Sapim Polyax nipples?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Daner
    Don't CX-Ray spokes come with Sapim Polyax nipples?
    I have always ordered nipples separately. Never needed a locking nipple either.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Aslo look at DT Swiss Aerolite spokes....

same weight and overall better quality from what I am hearing.
    Also look at Wheelsmith XE14 "The Edge" spokes. Cheaper than both, close in weight and bladed.

Mike @ oddsandendos built my set with these for cost, strength and his reccomendation.

I am using DT Aerolites on my road set and I am very happy after 800+ miles now....
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member

cheaper sapim cx-rays

i found some really cheap cx-rays. I found them on wheelbuilder.com for $2.10 silver or $2.20 in black. then its an extra $.26 for colored alloy nipples.
    http://www.wheelbuilder.com/closeup....d=142&offset=0

-michael

mtbr member
    Michael,

I was just about to post a link to wheelbuilder.com. I also found them to have the best prices on the CX-RAY's.

By the way, did you determine the lengths of your spokes ? I was just playing with a few generic spoke calculators and they all seem to be much shorter than the calculator on the Sapim site - like up to 7mm different. I find it strange since the Sapim calculator is also a generic one which doesn't even take into consideration the type of spoke you're using.

Ken.

Members who have read this thread: 0