Seeeriously easy Livin

Whats your opinion of hope minis?

I was just curious It seems like a lot of you guys are running juicy ultimates, and magura martas, but aren't hope mono mini's lighter? What are your opinions of the minis?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've had my Hope Mono Mini Pro's for about 8 months now - I run mine with braided lines. Is heavier but imo worth the increase. 160mm front & 140mm rear.

I really like my Hopes. They are very light however I have not had a problem with brake fade ever.

I normally ride XC but the hardest test they had was a recent 3 km run down a rough, very steep fire trail - steep enough to get the bike up to 60km/h in no time. At the bottom when I stopped a huge plume of blue smoke came off the front brakes they were that hot - however they performed flawlessly the whole run.

The modulation is much better than the old Juicy 5's I had but not as good as the new XT's I tried on a mates bike. Power is acceptable (I weigh 75kg's, bike is HT weighs 9.8kg and getting lower thanks to this forum) but of course there are more powerful brakes out there.

They look very sweet and people definitely came in for a closer look after I put them on my bike. The lever feels very nice in my hand.

The only issue I have had with them is the rear pads seem to get knocked back - I lost my rear brake for 60km of a 100km ride which was annoying. Happened again 2 weeks ago but not as bad - rear brake worked just had more lever travel than usual.

Don't think it is the heat as never been a problem with the front. They come good the next day so is kinda wierd.

But I am very happy with them - bled them once after 1,300kms. Been through only one set of pads.

Rotors still work fine - I've heard people complain of problems or pinging - I have had neither.

Hope that helps.

banned
    I have a total of four sets- one still in use (due to upgrades to bigger brakes). The Mini is an excellent brake.

When I was using them, front and back, I first started on 160's. Braking was more than adequate, although I wanted a larger margin and simply upped to a 180 rotor in the front. They are capable brakes with excellent modulation-something Hope appears to focus on by making specific brakes for specific applications. You can also vary things by changing rotor size. I experimented doing just this, but eventually had to come to terms with the fact that I'm going to be riding in real mountains in Europe, such as the Alps, and it wouldn't be proper to ride something not designed for it only to complain.

Our other three sets are ready to go, but we just need another bike to put them on. Never a problem and great feel and power. Don't use Goodridge pads. I stick with Hope Golds.

mtbr member

Hope Mono Mini / Mono Mini Pro

Hi, I test Hope Mono Mini 160 / 160 on my friends Blur XC many times. Before his Grimeca too. Mini are compact, light, quite easy maitenance. Blur was set with Grip Shifts X.0. Levers are long adequate. For harder rides or bigger rider You could choose 180 at front.

Now I'm running my own Santa SL with Mono Mini Pro . 160 / 160, RS Reba 115, RP23 100, XC/XCM light setup. I like to ride some technicals w/o drops. They heave titanium bolts, carbon levers so they are lighter a bit . I used too Grip Shifts X.0. Carbon levers are on the short side. For smaller hand ok, but mayby - for more AM ride or bigger hand - it must be checked if is long enough (type of shifters counts, look below).

I'm breaking with one finger only located on the end of the shorty lever. Sometimes 2 fingers. If You want go light with Mini Pro - I don't now which shifters You are on - RF, triggers, grips? If GS - it's possibility too cut grip a bit - for the individual case but not necessary. Generaly I'm happy with them. Both: lightness & functionality .

Ask for more info if You want

I love Pisgah
    I raced some Minis alot this season(20lb HT). 160/140mm setup(Stans alum up front). Great modulation and decent power(I never use more then 1 finger). Just ordered a 2nd set for a Motolite build currently.

Only apparent mentionable flaw, is the 140mm rear will get hot faster then normal(at least compared to my Hayes Mags, Avid mechs, Formula B4Pros..all using 140s as well) on longer 2000+' type descents(I live in the NC mtns) and lose most of its power(I then have to go front only for abit until it cools off), which can be alarming at such moments. For XC racing tho, this has never been an issue.

Watch out, the std line setup is way too long for most bikes.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    I run the older style Mono Mini. Had em for three years, totally awesome. 160 F/R with floating rotors for me. Been meaning to upgrade to the new Mono Mini Pros for a while, I might get around to it eventually :P.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

MonoMini-Pro

Just got these together, and I am pretty happy with them. I would have opted to go with carbon levers, but that would mean having to be careful with low branches, and these are what, 12 grams heavier? I could care less about that, since the bike is already about 19lbs.. I will say that these brakes build up easier than the Maguras I had, and are lighter, and have a much better feel at the lever. I like the look of them, but who knows how long that is going to last. I tend to break stuff, but we shall see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I broke both of my levers in one nasty crash, the alloy is pretty soft and will bend if you put enough force on them. I stack a lot though and that's the only time they bent, so I may just have been unlucky. Got some replacements pretty cheap on ebay.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've had Marta Sl (My Fav), Ultimates (2nd fav), and Hope Moto Minis. The Hopes have been rebuilt 3 times my pros (BTI, QBP, My self) and still feel like A$$.

Members who have read this thread: 0