mtbr member

whats a good starter bike for xc race and weight

Right on the cusp of getting a trek superfly 6 11.4 or the 8 11kg

budgets about 2k for now plan to swap stuff out here and there.

was thinking scott or air nine as well but trek has the better warranty and rating history.

would like to get to 10 eventually maybe even with a rigid fork as the trails here arent too techy.

def want 29er

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie Rox View Post
    Right on the cusp of getting a trek superfly 6 11.4 or the 8 11kg

budgets about 2k for now plan to swap stuff out here and there.

was thinking scott or air nine as well but trek has the better warranty and rating history.

would like to get to 10 eventually maybe even with a rigid fork as the trails here arent too techy.

def want 29er
    Two parts of the discussion. One is a good starter bike. The other is a light bike for XC racing.

The stock Trek Superfly bikes you mention look good to be good starter bikes and will work fine. Getting them light is another discussion.

Did you consider upping your budget another $1K or so to get a higher end Superfly such as the Superfly 8? The ProCaliber Trek bikes when you get into all the carbon frame, bits and parts is where the light weight shines and you can use as a model for the parts that get those bikes so light.

It starts getting expensive if you buy a stock bike, and then "swap stuff out here and there". Well, at least I've found it ends up costing the same - if not more - than just buying what your end target is from the get go (light frame, wheels, components) either through a DIY build, or a stock light weight bike.

The limit is and always will be one's budget. It's pretty amazing what there is available these days for components that can easily be obtained (compared to a decade ago when you had to hunt down mail order parts from companies like Extralite, Luckynino, Tune, etc...) and pay high costs for the parts. Shimano, Race Face, Easton, Specialized, WTB, etc... can fix you up with all the light components needed from the get go.

Not that the 24-25 pound bikes you mentioned (Superfly bikes) are bad, but for a HT they are 3 to 4 pounds more than what you could do in terms of weight.

I would say build a spreadsheet with the bikes you are considering that lists all the parts they come with and what they weigh in grams and pounds (you can search and come up with nearly every part on the bike in terms of weight). Then build a spreadsheet (or add a column) with your ideal parts for the end weight. Also make a column in that spreadsheet for the cost of each part and a sum total at the bottom of the column that adds up the cost (including shipping). You don't want to buy any part that is a guess in hopes it is light. You need exact weights and costs (do it right once approach).

You might end up with a $2K Trek bike, but spend an additional $2-3K in parts to get it where you want it. You could just start from scratch with purchasing a good frame, and get everything you want on the bike from the get go for the same price or less.

No matter how you look at it, in 2016 if you want a light bike (besides a SS rigid) you are going to have to up your budget. Great light forks from Fox, great light wheels from many vendors, great light frames from many, and the standard 1 x carbon cranks from several, light brakes, light tires - it's all easily out there. If you really want it (a 20-21 pound HT with front suspension), I'd say realistically to double your budget.

mtbr member
    I got my Airborne seeker down to 24 lbs and some change, XO 1x10, Light bicycle carbon rims w/x9 hubs, deity compound pedals and spesh captains tubless. x7t2 RD, stock R/S Recon Gold.

Very affordable bike to start out with, It's my go to bike on my local trails.
    Just a dude being a dude in the woods & Owner of Newark Bike Shop an authorized Diamondback Dealer.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Diamondback Insight ( on the trainer )
    Evo Vantage 7.0

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Figure the size you need, buy used, upgrade components with the money you saved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Figure the size you need, buy used, upgrade components with the money you saved.
    Or get a used superfly frame or something lighter on flea bay (scott scales are lighter than super's and a little more under the radar than trek or speci's) and spend the saved $$ on a light wheelset, fork and other goodies.
    I your on a 2k budg a brand new WW is gonna tough but used...more options and lighter.

mtbr member
    Hi Bruce
    Thanks for the detailed reply and wake up call.
    Realistically anything i buy will be a major upgrade. Ive really only owned 3 different hardrocks including the 2002 model Im still running 150km a week @ 12.9kg.

Ive always wanted a premium bike but not sure how much I really need, but Ive always dreamed of a super light bike. Now my ridding and budget can allow for it so why not.

Thinking to inch up the budget a bit, looking at the superfly 8 and love it but its only .5 kg lighter then the 6.

the only one thats not too far away and sub 11 is the stumpjumper carbon wc which lists 10.6kg

Was actually thinking carbon fork if I did end up custom to shave weight, not super tech here anyway.

will go pester the bike shops here and see how it goes tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jp
    looks nice but shipping might make it a bit expensive here.

mtbr member
    jestep
    Would like to but hard to find used here in big size

mtbr member
    whats a good starter bike for xc race and weight-spech.jpg

Guess i was wrong I managed to get this for nearly 1/2 my budget claimed weight 10.6 w/o pedals!!! MY friend rode it only a few times and got a nomad, his loss my gain.
    now I got some extra budget to spend.
    think its a 2016 stumpjumper comp ht m size
    only mod in the cassette to give a larger gear...

Whats is first?
    go tubeless good value/ performance per $

anyway will check back in later off to give it a proper off road test!!!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Go tubeless, ride the crap out of it and replace bits as they break or annoy you.
    I do like my old 26" Stumpy Comp.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Agreed on just ride it and replace as needed, definitely ride a bunch before making a decision on replacements. Everything on there is pretty decent so unless there is something that you really want to swap out for functional reasons, I don't think I'd mess with much seeing as it's all new.