ballbuster

What's a good light rotor these days?

I got a set of Ashima AiRotors 160/160 on my singlespeed with Hope Mono Mini brakes, and they work great. They stop, no chatter. They seem to be wearing kinda fast, but not the end of the world.

I was impressed with them, so I got a set of Ai2 Rotors, thinking they were similar. Well, they chatter A LOT at low speed. My G1 Reba doesn't help, being a flexy noodle as it is. DUBADUBADUBADUBA.

So my question is this: What is a decent low rent light weight rotor that has even braking to use with M775 XTR brakes? Heck, I'll even add a few dozen grams if needed. I'm even tempted to get a set of Avid HS1 rotors, since they can be had for cheap on fleabay.... and just throw the idea of light rotors out the window. Shimano rotors work well, but come in around 115g these days.

Woz
    mtbr member
    I'm pretty partial to the Kcnc Razor. Same performance as the original Ashima Ai but only 74 grams for a 160 and still quite inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I've been sticking to "AiRotors" on the front and "Ai2" on the back.

I understand that the size of most pads relative to the holes in the Ai2 is what set the system up to pulse. On the back it doesn't seem noticeable, on the front, its a common complaint.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
    I've been sticking to "AiRotors" on the front and "Ai2" on the back.

I understand that the size of most pads relative to the holes in the Ai2 is what set the system up to pulse. On the back it doesn't seem noticeable, on the front, its a common complaint.
    Yeah, upon further reflection, I'm thinking of just changing them out for airotors, v1. They are cheap enough and I know they work well.... or maybe try out the Razor rotors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Tried Razors, HSX, HS1 and few others and eventually was brought back to Shimano XTR on my XTR brakes.

Not lightweight but just a reminder to myself that saving weight just isn't worth over apparent decreased performance.

mtbr member
    I'm running 160mm HS1 rotors with my new XO Trail set-up and they were light, I think like 89-91g on my scale if I remember right, and work excellent. I wouldn't be inclined to swap them for something that works less well to only save 8-9 grams.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    I like the Alligator Serrations...they are nice and light (to me).
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Any other options? I have both the AI and AI2 rotors and the AI2 rotors have noticeably less breaking power and much more flex. I was thinking about sucking up the cost (and weight) and getting the Icetech rotors for pure performance unless anyone has experienced a lighter rotor that still provides good breaking power.

Thumper
    Although the reviews don't seem to agree with me, my 160mm SICCC rotors (1st edition, 55g each) are crazy lite and I have had no braking issues paired with my Formula R1 Racing brake system. I can stop on a dime even on downhills. (slight exaggeration depending on tread and terrain). But you get the idea... brakes stopping does not mean bike and rider do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've tried pretty much all of the lightweight rotors (except the SiCCC ones) and have arrived at the conclusion that the HSX rotors offer the most powerful and consistent braking in the broadest variety of conditions. They also keep pad wear low in muddy conditions. They are however 98g for a front 160mm and 85g for a 140mm rear. Of the sub 80g rotors, I like the Aligator Aries and the Hygia SLP rotors. They don't pulse, there's minimal loss of power and pad life with them is OK but they are not without their issues. The Aries wears the pads unevenly, so pads wear out quicker at the bottom than the top. The issue with the SLP rotor is that the rotor wears quicker in the middle of the braking track, so the rotor has a shorter life, but they are cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedLite View Post
    Although the reviews don't seem to agree with me, my 160mm SICCC rotors (1st edition, 55g each) are crazy lite and I have had no braking issues paired with my Formula R1 Racing brake system. I can stop on a dime even on downhills. (slight exaggeration depending on tread and terrain). But you get the idea... brakes stopping does not mean bike and rider do.
    Agree that you won't find lighter than Kettle's ceramic-carbon, but the verdict may still be pending on performance. They definitely aren't "low rent" as you requested initially.

However, there are ongoing support and service issues with this startup firm (I have a long-standing issue myself), so hard to fully recommend. (Plus, you may need to also get their carbon pads for best results.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've been running Kettle's SIC carbon rotors with the C-Processing for several weeks now in alot of mud and snow and I'm very impressed, best brakes I've used to date.
    XTR 985 front with Kettle carbon pads, these have about the same power as steel rotors but with better modulation. Due to alot of slick off-camber rooty trails I've been riding lately I'm running the stock XTR Resin pads in the rear for even more modulation. This set-up is very comparable to XTR 975 brakes in the rear. For summer riding I may go with the carbon pads in the rear for more power.
    Both of my 160mm rotors weighed 53 grams, but after C-Processing they both weighed 61 grams. One set of Kettle carbon pads weigh 8 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's a good light rotor these days?-img_4994_1.jpg  

What's a good light rotor these days?-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Has anyone tried Absoluteblack steel rotors?
    iso raven sl 82g

mtbr member
    after going through a few lighter weight rotors, i'm using HS1's now as they last longer than a week, dont cause any chatter and are reasonably priced. the minimal weight saving was not worth the decreased performance and increased wear rate.
    Designs by Mitch - for all your drafting and design requirements!

mtbr member

Re: What's a good light rotor these days?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
    ..... the minimal weight saving was not worth the decreased performance and increased wear rate.
    I think you posted this in the wrong forum....

Thumper
    Came across these Eagle Eyes, 160mm at 56g, Made in the U.S.A.

Note it says: "These rotors will create high squeaky noise during brake in and downhill stopping."
    1 Light Disc Rotor 160mm ISO 44mm BCD Red Made in USA | eBay

I have never tried but at that weight, might be worth a look. I can't find any reviews on them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    I think you posted this in the wrong forum....
    i'm all for saving weight, but i'd rather it be practical and preferably i dont die in the process.
    if i can build a low 7kg commuter with these "boat anchor" rotors, i'm happy.
    Designs by Mitch - for all your drafting and design requirements!