Light is Right

What's the buzz on Velocity K525 rims?

Bike Nashbar has these very light, discontinued rims at a very attractive price. The weight weenies site has one entry for these rims at 370 grams. I don't find any feedback on them in the MTBR reviews. Are they worth checking out?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm the one...

who posted the weight weenies listing.

I'm not sure what where you're hearing the buzz. I'd appeciate some insight there.

I originally was interested in purchasing and did purchase the Velocity Synergy rims, which of course are disc specific. In talking with Velocity, their guy mentioned the K525's and how great they were - as v-brake rims. In fact, he'd used the most recent version in several races. Apparently, the first gen. version had some issues. Velocity redesigned the rim, but by then the damage had been done and the decision was made to phase them out.

I decided to purchase a couple of pairs because of their light weight and closeout pricing with the intent to build up a disc and non-disc version. I weigh less than 160 depending on the time of year and I like to keep the rubber-side down, so jumping strength wasn't paramount and I'd though these would fit the bill.

I have yet to build up the wheels, but standalone, they are very stiff. I can put quite a bit of pressure the the unbuilt rims with very little flex. Since they are non-eyeletted, I intend to use Revo spokes because of their ability to stretch a bit to reduce the strain on the spoke holes. Also, to mitigate the chance of rim failure I purchased the 32 hole versions. I've built quite a few wheels and I know what and how much I can push them before they collapse, so I'm comfortable with these superlights. I hesitate to recommend them to anyone else as a disc rim.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by pnassmac; 03-09-2004 at 09:23 PM.