mtbr member
    Dec 2012

What weight would be considered a weight weenie 29er SS?

I want the lightest 29er SS I can build with a suspension fork, I have seen superlite 29ers posted but I can seem to build one. What am I missing?

ups and downs
    Considering some of the tweaky geared carbon suspension equipped 29" hardtail bikes are down below 19 pounds, you'd likely be down under 17 pounds for a very light SS 29". Super light frame, fork and wheels are going to be the key, you'd likely need to have those three pieces under 4.2kg to get into the uber-light range.

29" SID World Cup XX is spec'd at 1485gms, and Easton has 1415gm 29" wheelsets and there are 29" frames under 1300gms out there
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Your question is very vague and you need to establish a few things...

A) Do you need to win a race / or a bet? If not, what your missing.... is a good reason.
    B) Do you have a more durable bike to train on?, should you make it lightest at all cost (including durability)
    C) Budget, do you have one? if not, then it's whatever is in your cookie jar... this can drastically affect what you do. Don't even start unless this one is sorted out!
    I would estimate the very lightest parts are harder to come by used, you could easily run $3000+ US$ in pursuit of this without resorting to china direct unlabelled/off brand parts.
    D) What exactly would be your target weight, and why? (it could be as simple as, the lightest I can get for $1789.02)

While Rockyuphill has started with an excellent selection of parts, (of which I am a fan as well) some of the "lightest bike" posts already have a complete breakdown of what they used.
    Start by googling "lightest 29er" and "lightest carbon mtb flat bars" etc...,

You need to establish priorities such as a time line, who will build the bike, who is sourcing all the parts, what lengths are you willing to go through to make it weigh ....lb ?

I did the DIY route, sourced all the parts myself, built the bike, wheels, everything I could, and had the shop bleed the lines so I wouldn't make a mess in my living room.
    It took almost 6 months to buy everything except the wheels and small hardware at half or less of retail (that was my personal goal).
    My 1x10 carbon 29er ended up costing about $2000, at 21lb without pedals.

ups and downs
    For reference there's a thread here about 6.3kg SS 29er rigid bike

My Bike in On-Line Italian mag.

That rigid Niner carbon fork is 565gms so you're almost 1kg heavier to add a SID World Cup suspension fork, so that's 7.2kg as a target weight for a 29er SS with a suspension fork.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 02-10-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by kbike01 View Post
    I want the lightest 29er SS I can build with a suspension fork, I have seen superlite 29ers posted but I can seem to build one. What am I missing?
    Put all your intended parts in a spreadsheet so you can see where, what, and how to get the best weight.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    Your question is very vague and you need to establish a few things...

A) Do you need to win a race / or a bet? If not, what your missing.... is a good reason.
    B) Do you have a more durable bike to train on?, should you make it lightest at all cost (including durability)
    C) Budget, do you have one? if not, then it's whatever is in your cookie jar... this can drastically affect what you do. Don't even start unless this one is sorted out!
    I would estimate the very lightest parts are harder to come by used, you could easily run $3000+ US$ in pursuit of this without resorting to china direct unlabelled/off brand parts.
    D) What exactly would be your target weight, and why? (it could be as simple as, the lightest I can get for $1789.02)

While Rockyuphill has started with an excellent selection of parts, (of which I am a fan as well) some of the "lightest bike" posts already have a complete breakdown of what they used.
    Start by googling "lightest 29er" and "lightest carbon mtb flat bars" etc...,

You need to establish priorities such as a time line, who will build the bike, who is sourcing all the parts, what lengths are you willing to go through to make it weigh ....lb ?

I did the DIY route, sourced all the parts myself, built the bike, wheels, everything I could, and had the shop bleed the lines so I wouldn't make a mess in my living room.
    It took almost 6 months to buy everything except the wheels and small hardware at half or less of retail (that was my personal goal).
    My 1x10 carbon 29er ended up costing about $2000, at 21lb without pedals.

I think the OP question is perfectly valid. Sure, it's extremely vague, but maybe he intended it that way to simply get an idea of what to shoot for. He didn't ask "what parts should I use" or "how much should I spend".

To OP, IMO a lightweight 29er SS would be anything sub-21 lb. A weight weenie build would be sub-19 lb.

As rockyuphill mentioned, most important components are frame, wheels, suspension. Lefty's are by far the lightest, but also pretty pricey.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dickt3030 View Post
    I think the OP question is perfectly valid. Sure, it's extremely vague, but maybe he intended it that way to simply get an idea of what to shoot for. He didn't ask "what parts should I use" or "how much should I spend".

To OP, IMO a lightweight 29er SS would be anything sub-21 lb. A weight weenie build would be sub-19 lb.

As rockyuphill mentioned, most important components are frame, wheels, suspension. Lefty's are by far the lightest, but also pretty pricey.
    Best response ever! That's what I wanted to know, thank you!

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it

Mine

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 385
Size:  44.0 KB"To OP, IMO a lightweight 29er SS would be anything sub-21 lb. A weight weenie build would be sub-19 lb."

Great reply. just what OP probably wanted.
    Sub 19 damn....
    Trying to get mine under 21. Without spending a $$.
    I know, I know..
    But old XTR and used carbon bits are fine for me.
    Last edited by henrymiller1; 03-02-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: adding picture