Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hack Racer

What is the story on Acros .54 hubs?

Front Hub Disc: 103g w/ Ceramics
    Rear Hub Disc: 208 g w/ Ceramics

and if you don't believe in Ceramics (I'm not convinced they are better except for being lighter), there exists non ceramic models:

Front Hub Disc: 113g w/ Ceramics
    Rear Hub Disc: 214 g w/ Ceramics

Are the claimed weights accurate? Hubs reliable?

Comparison:

Tune King: 136g
    Tune Kong: 225g

Dtswiss 240S front: 154g
    Dtswiss 240s Rear: 273g

Is this the new 'must have' hubs? Ever since Tune started getting creaking issues (I haven't had a problem), and Alchemy Bicycle Works here in the USA stopped being the distributor for them... Tune seems to have fallen out of favor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That would save 100gr compared to a 240 setup.

I would like to see how those hub are made (inside).

Hack Racer
    Looking at prices online... just do a search on google for "acros 54" shows from UK bike places they are around

$145 USD
    $265 USD

when VAT is removed and the British Pounds converted to USD. Which is a damn fine price if you ask me. I wonder if Acros will give me a free set for just mentioning it here on this forum.

Looking at the Acros manual it says the rear hub has 5 pawls with 30 points of engagement. In the manual the lightest weights mentioned are 136g and 242g... so there is some discrepancy between the website and the user's manual...

mtbr member
    well Acros is Distributed in america by J&B, a very common distribution center, so that's great news either way.

and those are great prices, even if they only are the same weight as 240s and the like.
    Disclaimer:I work in a Bike Shop.http://www.northcentralcyclery.com/

mtbr member
    If they have different hub caps to use 9mm RWS skewers id definetly be interrested...

mtbr member
    Any more info on this hubs? Where to get the manual?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Universal Cycles has these hubs, and the weights listed there are about 50 grams more per hub.

mtbr member
    Even so, not bad if they proove to be reliable...

Hack Racer
    I never ended up going with these hubs. When I was searching for these things back in Nov 2008 there were no where to be found. If you wanted the "ultimate" versions that are the lightest they are not sold by BTI or the other USA distributor...

I went with Tune in the end.

mtbr member
    * Bump*

Anybody got some more info/ride reports on these hubs ?
    They look really interesting......

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Last season I raced on a .54 based wheelset. It took a lot of abuse from my side but it's still running smoothly. I will continue using it this season.

There isn't really much more you can say about working hubs, is there? Well, Acros seems to be one of the better companies (if that matters at all). My "personal" wheel builder, who also works for some pro teams, speaks in high terms of this company and their products ... and he's definitely more qualified for making such a judgement

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The hubs are Chin Haurs, these are a similar version labeled as A2Z on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-a2z-Disc-Bra...item27aeca4263

119g and 231g respectively for 350g total. I remember when a shimano rear hub alone, non-disc, was 350g.

mtbr member
    I thought Acros wase a craftmanship company, but also they relabel there stuff.
    Is it the same with there headsets ?

@ quax

Are you using a standaard .54 hubset ? or the ultimate ones ?
    What rims and spokes you use them with ?

Hack Racer
    What does Chin Haurs hubs have to do with Acros hubs?

Acros is a manufacturing house in Germany. They produce many parts for Tune. I was trying to get my hands on a set, but availability 1 year ago was poor. Also I got a sweet deal on a set of tune hubs from Alchemy Bicycle Works.

Cassoulet forever !
    you can clearly see on the hub flange of the drive side that these are NOT the same.

Deeight, you are wrong.

Acros are reputed here in france for the quality of their products. I haven't tried them myself, but know of several happy ridders.

By the way there are lighter version of the tune hubs than the weight listed here.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    DeeEight, sorry, that's bs what you're saying. Acros is finest German engineering, no relabeling. You can see their machinery for the hubs at 45sec in that video:

(Source: German mtb forum)

Dex11, I could only afford the standards. Setup is with ZTR 355 and Sapim CX-Ray.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'll be damned. He picks up one of those hub shells and shows it to the camera. I would have also guessed that they came from taiwan too, the design is so similar to them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Acros BB

I am using an Acros ceramic bearing BB. It is excellent and very light. Machining quality is the finest.

Oh yeah, no similarity at all.... just nearly identical flanges, disc mounts, end caps, all that's just a coincidence.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    damn communists, I knew that they are still around, flooding the hub market

end caps are completely different, Acros hubs are much larger in diameter and have no gap between disc mount and flanges

you're right about the flanges, they have both 32 holes

(I actually feel a little bit silly explaining what really everyone can see.)

Chin Haur is a big manufacturer and there are slight stylistic differences between all their many branded hubs. Are you naive enough to say that because an AC hub doesn't look like a WTB hub, that they didn't share a common manufacturing origin ?!?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    "Hand built in Renningen, Germany"

mtbr member
    Different opinions where they are made.....

Anyway, weight wise they are interesting. To bad not many people have used them, after all those horror things I had with my Tune hubs, as well as a lot off other people here, I am in doubt between these and DT Swiss 240's....

After the post from Quax, I think I am heading Acros. ..

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Chin Haur is a big manufacturer and there are slight stylistic differences between all their many branded hubs. Are you naive enough to say that because an AC hub doesn't look like a WTB hub, that they didn't share a common manufacturing origin ?!?
    I was buying some stuff from universal today and saw these hubs - $583 for the set

They better not be chinese for that price !

They're only $583 because of the import duties. Same reason Hope hubs are expensive in NA, but cheap in the UK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast