mtbr member
    Jul 2008

what size Ti bolt for V brake mounts?

What size bolt do i need for mounting V brakes? Any problem using Ti in this aplication?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There is no problem using Ti in this case.

The bolt threading into the brake bosses is often a special shape. I have some that came with my Avid Ti V brakes. I haven't seen them sold that look like mine, however www.torontocycles.com has a kit for $27 per set. You would need 2 sets for a complete front and rear brake set.

http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Rotors.html

mtbr member
    IIRC - M6x22 or x25. Shallow/button head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by egebhardt
    There is no problem using Ti in this case.

The bolt threading into the brake bosses is often a special shape. I have some that came with my Avid Ti V brakes. I haven't seen them sold that look like mine, however www.torontocycles.com has a kit for $27 per set. You would need 2 sets for a complete front and rear brake set.

http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Rotors.html
    On the Avid Ti V brakes what parts are suposed to be Ti? I am running a Avid Ti on the rear and a Avid Single Digit 7 on the front. weight is 168g and 187g including pads and bolts. it was all used so i am not really sure if it has the right Ti bolts and stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rc51kid
    On the Avid Ti V brakes what parts are suposed to be Ti? I am running a Avid Ti on the rear and a Avid Single Digit 7 on the front. weight is 168g and 187g including pads and bolts. it was all used so i am not really sure if it has the right Ti bolts and stuff.
    Take a magnet to the bolts.

mtbr member
    you can get away with any M6x20-30mm bolt, head shape only really matter on what look you are going for, us a good alloy washer and your set, the Shimano and Avid bolts were a funky shape and had a special washer that fit them, you can use any bolt though.

just measure the thread length of what you removed to order your new bolts, you can go a bit shorter on the rear bolts and even alloy if you want but i would go as long as you can in the front since the brakes want to be pulled off the studs on hard braking, there rear are pushed onto the studs
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.