I like bikes :)
    May 2004

what should i change?

im currently racing on a new oryx t-line 750 hardtail, but its about 23.5 pounds right now. i want to find some cheap ways of cutting that down a bit.

Frame Oryx T-line 750 21"
    Fork 04 Marathon SL
    Rims Alex FD-16
    Spokes Unknown
    Hubs XTR
    Tires Maxxis Larsen TT/Mimo
    Chain HG-53
    Stem Race Face Evlove
    Headset FSA no. 18
    Cranks XTR
    Shifters XTR
    Saddle Oryx
    Bar Easton EC70 Alloy
    Levers XTR Dual Control
    BB w/ cranks
    Front Derraileur XTR
    Rear Derraileur XTR
    Cassette XTR
    Pedals Time Atac
    Seat Post Race Face Evolve
    Brakes XTR Hydraulic Disc

i dont want to get sid's, too flexy, it scares me, and im keeping the discs, i just wnat to save a bit. im gonna wiegh the seat soon, but it know its not too bad

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Chain Sram Hollow pin (if you dont mind using it with shimano derailleurs etc)
    Stem Sette/Pazzaz stem
    Pedals Egg beaters

Those are the cheaper things I can think of. You could get an extralight or caron seatpost as well. I reccomend foam grips or road tape as well assuming you dont already use them. To save more, youll have to spend some cash on Ti and alloy bolts. An SLR would save a bit too. Also, consider some bolt on skewers. Depending what you have now, they could save 50+ grams easily.
    Herro prease

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    Chain Sram Hollow pin (if you dont mind using it with shimano derailleurs etc)
    Stem Sette/Pazzaz stem
    Pedals Egg beaters

Those are the cheaper things I can think of. You could get an extralight or caron seatpost as well. I reccomend foam grips or road tape as well assuming you dont already use them. To save more, youll have to spend some cash on Ti and alloy bolts. An SLR would save a bit too. Also, consider some bolt on skewers. Depending what you have now, they could save 50+ grams easily.
    Yeah....What he said....

XTR components are high quality but not always the lightest, (sometimes quality is more important). You could go a bit further to a Syntace F-99 stem, but it will cost more than the Pazzaz.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    Yeah....What he said....

XTR components are high quality but not always the lightest, (sometimes quality is more important). You could go a bit further to a Syntace F-99 stem, but it will cost more than the Pazzaz.
    I typed all of that up! I deleted it cause I though it wasnt really needed. You spend that much on XTR, youre gonna use it. The Syntace will def. be better than the Pazzaz or Sette. Lighter by 40g or so too. Even though you did pay so much for the xtr, it is somewhat heavy. The shifter levers at least. I reccomend SRAM shifters because they are lighter and works better IMO. Levers, I can't reccomend any...
    Herro prease

May 2004
    i got the bike from oryx for $2400 cdn because my racing team is sponsored by them, and it came with the full xtr. im quite happy with it so far, and i would think of changing any of it. the only thing i have changed on the bike so far is the new handlebar, and instead of foam grips, i wrapped my bar with an innertube held on by rubber cement. i find i have more grip with that than the foam grips with gloves on, and it isn't much heavier.
    should i think about getting stan's notubes and then maxxis minotaur 380's? (about 100g lighter per tire)

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by full_xtr_racer
    i got the bike from oryx for $2400 cdn because my racing team is sponsored by them, and it came with the full xtr. im quite happy with it so far, and i would think of changing any of it. the only thing i have changed on the bike so far is the new handlebar, and instead of foam grips, i wrapped my bar with an innertube held on by rubber cement. i find i have more grip with that than the foam grips with gloves on, and it isn't much heavier.
    should i think about getting stan's notubes and then maxxis minotaur 380's? (about 100g lighter per tire)
    Notubes = Yes, or the Eclipse system. Reduced weight and rolling resistance, as well as flat protection. One of the best upgrades you can do.

Minotaurs = Not necessarily. You need to try them first before racing with them. The Minotaurs are the best of the superlight tires IMHO and grip fairly well. I used them for about 5 months. The problem with all skinny, low profile tires is that they respond too quickly to any input from the handlebar or any input from the ground, giving them a "squirrely" feel, which does not inspire confidence. They are great for climbing, but downhill or anything technical and they leave something to be desired. I find I am much faster with a larger tire, such as the Karma DTC's.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    Minotaurs = Not necessarily. You need to try them first before racing with them. The Minotaurs are the best of the superlight tires IMHO and grip fairly well. I used them for about 5 months. The problem with all skinny, low profile tires is that they respond too quickly to any input from the handlebar or any input from the ground, giving them a "squirrely" feel, which does not inspire confidence. They are great for climbing, but downhill or anything technical and they leave something to be desired. I find I am much faster with a larger tire, such as the Karma DTC's.
    the bike came stock with maxxis flyweight 330's, and i loved them, even on double black technical downhill, the only reason i got new tires was because the flyweights wore out, and the pinch flatted too easily

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by full_xtr_racer
    the bike came stock with maxxis flyweight 330's, and i loved them, even on double black technical downhill, the only reason i got new tires was because the flyweights wore out, and the pinch flatted too easily
    You may like the Minotaurs then. Its worth a try, they are awfully cheap right now. They may feel a tad slower than the Flyweights. The Flyweights came out very well on the last rolling resistance tests.

Also, using one of the tubeless conversion kits such as Stans or Eclipse should take care of the pinch flat problem if you wanted to try the Flyweights again. Thats a pretty small tire, but it may work. The Minotaurs worked well with tubeless conversion.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 08-06-2004 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

beware or hollow pin chain.

[QUOTE=TheRedMantra]Chain Sram Hollow pin (if you dont mind using it with shimano derailleurs etc)

I have recently had the pc-99 hollow pin on a pg-990 cassette and the thing streached to .75 and it only took about 3-400 miles.The performance was definately there and the cassette is fine but the chain went early,maybe it was just mine but the chainline was right on so maybe it was just the chain.And it did work well with the XTR rear der.i would reccomend you get a spare if you go with it,but it definately performs.