Light is Right

What magazines? And why?

All this fuss about Mountain Bike Action magazine, in relation to their test of the Extralite F1, got me thinking: If MBA (to which I subscribe) is a dud, which magazines are better?
    What bike-related magazine(s) do you read? And why?

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I like MBA, and I like Dirt Rag even more.
    Herro prease

Lactic Acid is my friend.
    I like Bicycling. Both road and mountain, exercise tips, tuning tips, etc. A little bit of everything, and it's not full of advertisements.

mtbr member
    velonews because the info is current to whats going on and they follow most disciplines

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrenchester
    All this fuss about Mountain Bike Action magazine, in relation to their test of the Extralite F1, got me thinking: If MBA (to which I subscribe) is a dud, which magazines are better?
    Singletrack (http://www.singletrackworld.com/ ) , subscriber
    - not very scientific approach to equipment but good stories and less than 25% ads (their decision)

Dirtrag, infrequent buyer
    - well...

German magazines Bike ( http://www.bike-magazin.de/ ), Mountain Bike ( http://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/ ), Tour ( http://www.tour-magazin.de/ )
    - gotta get monthly fix of lab tests..

Procycling ( http://www.procycling.com/ ), buy sometimes
    - even if they hire former pro's their tests are pretty useless

Bicycling (US version), buy seldom
    - Umm, well I just buy these sometimes

+ MBA and some other mags depending what's available..
    I have to do 1-2h flights quite often and buy ton of bike and car magazines each month...

Trail rider and racer
    MBA sucks. It has nice pictures but the reviews generally lack in much detail. I tend to find that all the good information, insider information and specs can be found right here on MTBR.

I occasionally buy RIDE which is an Australian road cycling magazine which comes out quarterly. Frankly out of most of the cycling magazines I have seen from abroad the Australian RIDE magazine ranks very highly - but that may have something to do with it being a quarterly production.
    Trev!

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrenchester
    The ones I subscribe to:

MBA - for the pictures. I may not agree with everything (or even most) of what they say but it is more info.

Dirt Rag - Great info, a bit off topic sometimes. Reminds me of the General forum here. I trust their reviews for the most part.

Bike - Great ride pictures and stories. Equipment stories seem more of an advertisiment than even MBA at times.

If it was only one mag it would be Dirt Rag.

I buy infrequently some of the british mags and even more infrequently BuyCycling because the stories and equipment write-ups do not inspire me. I'm still pissed over the 14 word reviews - Good - seven words, Bad seven words. I've got seven words for them.

There have been a few others I've seen but see them so infrequently that can't pass judgement.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Trail rider and racer
    Another good publication, though its a online one, is the cyclingnews.com page. I know its not vaguely comparable to a magazine but I love there reviews and MTB features..
    Trev!

mtbr member
    DECLINE!!!!!! definitely my favorite. i like mba and bike too.

mtbr member

and websites...

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Another good publication, though its a online one, is the cyclingnews.com page. I know its not vaguely comparable to a magazine but I love there reviews and MTB features..

I'll second cyclingnew.com. Its a good site. I surf on pezcyclingnews.com as well. They have a different "flavor" but generally pretty good on reviews. They have a daily distraction link as well which has some pretty good pictures sometimes.