What is the lightest fat tire 2.3 and up?

Any idea what the lightest fat tire would be. I like a fatter tire for epic stuff and communting comfort but hate that most of them are so heavy. If I could find a 2.5 that was close to 600grams I would ride it.

thanks

ganze

Ride on
    Jan 2004

Don't know the widest, but...

The WTB MutanoRaptor Race comes in a 2.4" size. It's not really 2.4" wide, but it is a relatively high volume tire. It weighs in at just under 600g and rolls OK even on roads. It sticks to most dry surfaces pretty well.

bike dork extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganze
    Any idea what the lightest fat tire would be. I like a fatter tire for epic stuff and communting comfort but hate that most of them are so heavy. If I could find a 2.5 that was close to 600grams I would ride it.

thanks

ganze
    Specialized Adrenaline 2.2 (now called the resolution). This tire is much larger than 2.2, more like a 2.4, and it weighs around 700 grams (I think mine weighed in at 690 grams to be exact). To achieve that weight, the casing is rather thin, but it's a nice fat tire. Much bigger and meatier than the mutano 2.4.

Some of the Schwalbe tires are pretty light for the size also.

Recovering couch patato
    I've had Schwalbe Fast Freds 2.35, Light qualifier compound that were 495g. Massive tires, 57mm casings on 21mm Mavic rims.

Check out the Racing Ralph 2.4. It's around 600g I think, and even larger than the Fast Fred 2.35. It won't fit in my buddy bike as a rear, where the FF2.35 does. As a front it's a superb tire in the dry, the only thing better starts at 29x2.25" in my opinion.
    Oh, and both are WAY fast. Faster than the smaller version if you ask me. Especially grip and compound make the difference.

Keep on Rockin...

Mutano's...

These are about the lightest-biggest-fastest rolling tire I've found. The 2.2 Revolution is just a hair bigger but is significantly heavier and likely won't roll as well.

Funny these 2 tires were just brought up. There is a Mutano 2.4 and a Revolution 2.2 on my SS right now. The Mutano is on the rear and has a boat load of miles on it. The Revolution is new and the trails are not yet ready for me to give it a real test ride.

Mike

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I've had Schwalbe Fast Freds 2.35, Light qualifier compound that were 495g. Massive tires, 57mm casings on 21mm Mavic rims.

Check out the Racing Ralph 2.4. It's around 600g I think, and even larger than the Fast Fred 2.35. It won't fit in my buddy bike as a rear, where the FF2.35 does. As a front it's a superb tire in the dry, the only thing better starts at 29x2.25" in my opinion.
    Oh, and both are WAY fast. Faster than the smaller version if you ask me. Especially grip and compound make the difference.
    I gottasecond the Racing Ralph pick. They are awesome tires for rolling fast in dry conditions and it's LIGHT. Rocks are ok too but not the tire for the slop. They are also relatively durable for such a light tire. This is my tire of choice on the front; It corners better then any other tire I have used and it plays well with the Stans for me. Get it for the front and you will be happy.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

jrm
    mtbr member

Kenda Kharma 2.2

[and 2.4 cortez.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The new WeirWolf 2.55 LT looks promising (for non-muddy, hard conditions anyway)

http://content.mtbr.com/TRP_12_219_18crx.aspx

It has the same casing size as the TimberWolf 2.7, but with low rolling resistance and claimed weights under 800g.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Cortez

3 of my 4 Kenda 2.4 Cortez tires were below the claimed weight of 700g at around 690-695g... not 600g, but this is a FAT tire.

Chuky is riding the 2.2 Karma and they are quite a bit lighter. Didn't weigh them.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    [and 2.4 cortez.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The WTB MutanoRaptor 2.4s are big & light for their volume. I don't think I'd call them a true 2.4, but maybe a 2.3 like the original poster is looking for.

I haven't seen the Hutchinson Python Airlight in a 2.3 mounted yet, but I thought I read somewhere it is available in that size. Might fit your needs well & be easier to find in the U.S. than some of the other suggestions.

MutanoRaptor is a harder compound than most, so it might be the best if you ride any significant amount of pavement on your commute. It should last longer under those conditions.

kneecap
    Dec 2003

New question here. Casing comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Daner
    The new WeirWolf 2.55 LT looks promising

It has the same casing size as the TimberWolf 2.7.
    Are you sure about this casing size comparison, seems like quite a spread?

Members who have read this thread: 0