mtbr member

What kind of pulleys are the lightest?

Is it the drilled aluminum pulleys with sealed bearings (I think, for example, Tune made a set way back), 8-speed Shimanos, ceramic bushing-type Shimanos, or something else?

Anyone have a list of weights? (there is no pulley category on weight weenies...)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGSmed
    Is it the drilled aluminum pulleys with sealed bearings (I think, for example, Tune made a set way back), 8-speed Shimanos, ceramic bushing-type Shimanos, or something else?

Anyone have a list of weights? (there is no pulley category on weight weenies...)
    Ain't sure - I have a set of quite old alu pulleys on my old bike - they were made by Carmichael (I think).....I never weighed originals nor the Carmichaels, but I think the stock plastic Shimano ones were tiny bit lighter - the the alu ones are still in (occasional) use to this day.

mtbr member
    The shimanos (XT) weight in at 20g. The carmichael`s are a whopping 24 grams. Both are 11 tooth, with hardware (washers). Drill holes in the shimanos and get them down to 18g.

banned

homemade...

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGSmed

lightest i remember were old (before '98) XTs with ca. 15g.

i guess my homemade pulleys set a record mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Plastic shimano pulleys are the lightest generally, because aluminium is a denser material to make a pulley out of, and titanium is denser still, and the machined pulleys all rely on cartridge bearings to spin on, instead of the much lighter/simpler bushing method shimano uses.

The advantage to the aluminium or titanium is color alternatives, and wear characteristics. Plastic pulleys wear out in a year or so of riding, the teeth become sharp points, and so forth, from mud and grit in the chain wearing them down. Aluminium and titanium are harder materials, and can last years before that happens (and I've got Al pulleys that have distintergrated / worn down to sharp points too). One problem i've had with aftermarket pulleys is the cartridge bearings typically fail in only a couple years, while the teeth might last 5 years.

So you go metal pulleys and replace bearings several times over, or go plastic pulleys and replace the whole pulleys because the plastic fails. The latter is ironically cheaper in the long run, and lighter. Oh and since most Al pulleys have slots or holes or something cut into them to remove material and weight, these often actually trap mud/dirt/grease and add even more weight to the suckers, during usage.
    Last edited by DeeEight; 01-13-2005 at 12:19 PM.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Nino - nice for show... but I woulldn`t trust those under pedaling stress. Do you use those?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

Here are some pics to show what I mean...

Aluminium pulleys, cartridge bearings, complete bushing and washer hardware as I sell them...

Same Al pulleys, without the bearings and hardware...

Titanium pulleys I sell, same design as the Al ones, without hardware, for weight comparison...

A worn down Al pulley next to a pair of new ones...

The titanium set complete, would be 32 grams, so thus roughly 50% more than say shimano XT pulleys, but the pulley teeth should last around 10 years. How many times you replace the cartridge bearings in those 10 years depends on where you ride, and what quality replacement bearings you buy, and how well/often you clean your drivetrain.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

banned

pulleys aren't stressed...

Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    Nino - nice for show... but I woulldn`t trust those under pedaling stress. Do you use those?
    the only stress the top pulley gets is when shifting. that's some sideload. other than that they simply roll on the chain and act as tensioners. wheter you pull with 1000 wats or 50 doesn't change a thing for the pulleys.

no, i don't use them. i still haven't finished them but will soon do so to complete my ultralight build. but i don't see a problem with using these.

meanwhiole here's apic of some nice Al-pulleys i have in my garage...
    Attached Images Attached Images

nightriding is fun !
    DeeEight, check your PM
    Titanium or Bust !

mtbr member
    May 2004

Where did you get those?

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    the only stress the top pulley gets is when shifting. that's some sideload. other than that they simply roll on the chain and act as tensioners. wheter you pull with 1000 wats or 50 doesn't change a thing for the pulleys.

no, i don't use them. i still haven't finished them but will soon do so to complete my ultralight build. but i don't see a problem with using these.

meanwhiole here's apic of some nice Al-pulleys i have in my garage...
    I've been looking for aluminum pulleys for a while now. Carmichael pulleys are not available and Bullseye pulleys are only available in a 10t size. The pulleys you have in the pic seem to have bushings like Shimano ones do unlike others that have a bearing. Where did you get yours and can you get them in red? Thanks dude.