mtbr member
    Jun 2004

What happens when you buy a disc only frame...

is that you need disc brakes!

I'm finally getting all of the parts in for my 05 XC race bike, a specialized Epic marathon frame with Chris king hubs, Fox 100x fork, and disc brakes. The problem right now is what brakes to get!

Obviously, being on a race bike, weight is very important, but reliability is the most important. Most of our races have rolling hills or small ski hills in the midwest, so I don't need anything with large rotors or lots of stopping power, weighing in at 165-170 lbs.

The following are the options I have available. Prices are all good unless noted otherwise.

Avid Juicy 7 - About 860 grams toal (mid priced).

Hope Mono-MINI '05 #5, #3 brake, IS, 160mm front and rear -- With new alloy carrier rotor, about 715g (mid priced)

Formula B4 Pro-Plus brake 04', 160mm rotors - about 680g total

Magura Marta disc brakes 05', 160mm rotors - about 730g total, BUT EXPENSIVE

I have already placed an order for the Juicy's, but I think I'm going to sell them for a lighter option. What brake would you run?

mtbr member
    Main reason I got a 5-spot last year was because it has a rear V-brake option. I can possibly understand a front disk brake but in the back a V-brake locks the tires with half-finger pressure ...

Anyway: now you are stuck with an extra pound, why don't you get a pair of Avid Mechs?
    Cheap and easy to work o.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Sounds good, but....

I guss that disc brakes are a decent advantage, so I figure that if I'm going to use them, I miht as well take advantage of them by using Hydraulic brakes, right? Besides, the Avid mechs are the heaviest XC disc brakes on the market with 160mm rotors--ARE THERE ANY GOOD OPTIONS? I'm getting frustrated, and worried, about those Avid Juicy 7's that I ordered. I think I'm going to weigh the set when they arrive, and if they're too heavy, I'll return em' right away and get the Hope mono mini's. Sound good?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Anti Shimano? You could say that....

But I still run a XT front derailleur. Yes, the Epic Marathon came with the new XT hydro's, but I didn't like the weight or the shifting design, so I sold them asap. I've heard bad things about runnning XTR calipers with the old XT levers, so I'd prefer not to do that. The XTR's do offer a good balance between weight and performance though....about 800g/pair with the XT levers. Any thoughts?

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    im using 04 xtr hydros (yes, 04, they were redesigned) and i love them.. not the lightest out there but they work great. definately worth a consideration if you can get a good deal

happy new year!

mtbr member

The Marta's are a good choice...

They bring my big 190lbs carcuss to a stop with ralitive ease. I have been runing them since mid April "last year" (2004), they have seen many many trail, race and enduro miles and have not been touched once- I am still runing the original pads on both the front and back!

They really have preformed flawless, over my almost year of use- and would strongly recomend them to anyone. If the expence bothers you check out ebay, new sets go pretty cheap... I got mine shipped to my door (which happens to be in Australia) for $460 AUD, in this country they retial for over $650 AUD per end!!!
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member

Buy the Hopes

I still say they are superior to any other disk brake out there, but i may be a little bias

chips & bier

I would agree

I have used Hope Minis for years.

I'm currently running Hayes Mag+, which are great, but also an "Oh **** my I need a brakeset in three days for my next race" solution. The roblem is I really need a little extra power for endurance event in Alpine terrain. I could find the right combo of Hopes so bought the Hayes instead.

Compared to them, the Hope Mono Minis are cheaper (at least, this side of the Atlantic they are), have slightly better modulation, and have less power.