Sublime Absurdity

New question here. What ever happened to combo bars?

You know, the old cowhorn style bars that had integrated barends. For instance, Scott AT-2. Why did manufacturers stop making these? Why is there no modern carbon fiber version? Even with this riser bar fad, people still run bar ends right? (Riser bars make no sense to me - if you need your bars up higher, why not use a steeper angled stem / put in more spacers? )
    A year ago, I managed to score two NOS AT-2s, but they are a little flexy and still weigh 250grams. I am sure that the flexiness/weight is just a matter of old school aluminum tech - they are 10yrs old.

The value of these bars is not just the potential weight savings - I have a set of 60gr bar ends and you can find 120 gr bar end compatible bars - the real issue is comfort and hand positions. I have mine wrapped with cork roadie bar tape and everywhere I grab the bars it is so comfortable...

Is there really no market for these? Did they stop making them due to liablity? How many of you WWs would buy a 180gr set made with modern carbon fiber tech?
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

bleeding eventually stops

count me out

Thought that barends were all that and a bag of chips. Then tried it without and felt a lot of control come back and reduced wheel flop. As for the risers, tried them out too, didn't think they were all that great, then I tried to ride with my old flat bars again and realized how great the risers were.
    A lot of niche marketing going on though...maybe there is a market for CF combos, but none for me thanks.

Sublime Absurdity
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.dirt
    Thought that barends were all that and a bag of chips. Then tried it without and felt a lot of control come back and reduced wheel flop. As for the risers, tried them out too, didn't think they were all that great, then I tried to ride with my old flat bars again and realized how great the risers were.
    A lot of niche marketing going on though...maybe there is a market for CF combos, but none for me thanks.
    I guess that it depends on the kind of riding you do and what is important to you. I like that satisfaction of making it up a steep, slippery singletrack climb more than anything else and my set up reflects that as much as possible. For those situations, the forward stretch and added leverage of barends are much more helpful than having your bars higher. Screaming fireroad descents are a whole different matter, but again, I still don't get why riser bars are the solution as opposed to simply getting your bars up by other, lighter methods...
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Other reasons...

I went to the Easton Monkey Lite riser so I could have a 26" wide bar.

When I bought them, 23" or 24" were about all you could find in a flat bar. I did get a 25" Titec Hell Bent bar, but it is far heavier than the carbon riser. But about a third of the cost.

Maybe Easton, or another carbon bar maker could re-create some combo bars...they make road drop bars light in carbon. One never knows where the marketing will go.
    Last edited by Kronk; 12-27-2004 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk
    I went to the Easton Monkey Lite riser so I could have a 26" wide bar.

When I bought them, 23" or 24" were about all you could find in a flat bar. I did get a 25" Titec Hell Bent bar, but it is far heavier than the carbon riser. But about a third of the cost.

Maybe Easton, or another carbon bar maker could re-create some combo bars...they make road drop bars light in carbon. One never knows where the marketing will go.
    scott used to have some light carbon combo bars. You might find some on ebay, seen them there a bit

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

They were made...

190g AT-LF2 in Al and 165g Carbon Version.

Scott pulled out of the American market so I don't know if it was a chicken and egg senario. (Bars weren't selling Scott pulled out or Scott pulled out and stopped selling bars, etc).

I'm still running the combo bars. Good hand position, lighter than the 140g bars and 100g bar ends I was comfortable running before.

I'm thinking if I ever hit the lotto to have Titus make a few sets out of Ti for me. The biggest downfalls with the bars that I ever heard was that you were limited to just using rapid fire type parts on 'em.

And yes there is a market. The Carbon and LF versions go on ebay for decent money. (Not as much as some new stuff, but used AL bars will hit $40 regularly.)

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    You know, the old cowhorn style bars that had integrated barends. For instance, Scott AT-2. Why did manufacturers stop making these? Why is there no modern carbon fiber version? Even with this riser bar fad, people still run bar ends right? (Riser bars make no sense to me - if you need your bars up higher, why not use a steeper angled stem / put in more spacers? )
    A year ago, I managed to score two NOS AT-2s, but they are a little flexy and still weigh 250grams. I am sure that the flexiness/weight is just a matter of old school aluminum tech - they are 10yrs old.

The value of these bars is not just the potential weight savings - I have a set of 60gr bar ends and you can find 120 gr bar end compatible bars - the real issue is comfort and hand positions. I have mine wrapped with cork roadie bar tape and everywhere I grab the bars it is so comfortable...

Is there really no market for these? Did they stop making them due to liablity? How many of you WWs would buy a 180gr set made with modern carbon fiber tech?
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Flight Junkie

check out Jones H-bars

Check out some Jeff Jones H-Bars at Jonesbikes.com. A lot of SSers use them. Many hand positions and very comfortable too. They feel like cruiser bars, but in a good way.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Crappy sales... most stores that sold 'em either have vast stockpiles of them still or sold out their inventory to folks like me for $5/bar (down from $70/bar) to get wharehouse space, and I then turned around and peddled them online for $15-20/bar to desperate collectors of combo bars.

They can't be used with twist-grip shifters either and they are hard to fit to many non-removable face stems (pre-hinge syncros were the worst). Reason? The clamp area of stem and the shifter barrels are too wide, and can't fit around the bends of the combo bar. Also with Scott at least, the actual usable width of bar is pitiful. A 22" wide AT-3LF for example, has only 19.5" of actual inside width to work with.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

what he said

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Crappy sales... most stores that sold 'em either have vast stockpiles of them still or sold out their inventory to folks like me for $5/bar (down from $70/bar) to get wharehouse space, and I then turned around and peddled them online for $15-20/bar to desperate collectors of combo bars.

They can't be used with twist-grip shifters either and they are hard to fit to many non-removable face stems (pre-hinge syncros were the worst). Reason? The clamp area of stem and the shifter barrels are too wide, and can't fit around the bends of the combo bar. Also with Scott at least, the actual usable width of bar is pitiful. A 22" wide AT-3LF for example, has only 19.5" of actual inside width to work with.
    the demise of combo bars is a mirror image of the rise in popularity and market share of gripshift

I always found I wanted the barend portion more nearly level than the combo bars provided, without ending up with the backsweep sweeping slightly down

and like he said the functional width of them was always quite a bit narrower than the actual width

most folks don't run barends with risers. I do, screw the fashion police. since your hands are higher and you're sitting more upright with risers, the ability to stretch out on the barends for climbs is MORE important than that ability with a low flat bar. so I firmly believe bar-ends on risers make MORE sense than on flat bars.

nukeproof used to have a carbon combo bar, might have been carbon wrap over al.
    even rarer and cooler, they also had a carbon, or carbon wrap? dirtdrop bar. wish I had one of those.

when is easton going to get its collective head out of its collective nether regions and produce an all carbon dirtdrop, instead of wasting their time with stupid road bars. hello? lots of road bars on the market. NO dirtdrops being made currently to my knowledge (yeah I know I got a Salsa, and I don't want to hear about Jones. I mean a real honesttogosh dirtdrop ala WTB. Make that in carbon, Easton. Hello?
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!