Thread: What can i do

mtbr member
    May 2006

What can i do

Hi Im trying to find what I should upgrade on my bike. I want it to be lighter but im not sure where to start. Im thinking a new wheelset and/or tires. Maybe a new fork as well ( i dont really like the Maz exr pro)

It is a Marin Wildcat Trail

Fork Mazocchi EXR Pro, 120mm travel
    Crankset Truvativ Five D, 42/32/22
    Shifters Shimano Alivio
    Brakes Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic brakes
    Brake levers Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic
    Front derailleur Shimano Alivio
    Rear derailleur Shimano Deore
    Head set WTB Comp ST Threadless
    Bottom bracket Truvativ power spline cartridge
    Rear cog 8-speed, 11-32
    Front hub Shimano Disc
    Rear hub Shimano Disc
    Rims Alex DP-20, 32-hole
    Tires WTB MotoRaptor, 26x2.24"
    Spokes DT 15 gauge
    Stem FSA FR240
    Handlebar DH rise
    Seat post FSA SL-280
    Saddle WTB Speed V Comp
    Pedals BMX platform
    Chain IG31

Its my first mountain bike and I kind of whish I bought a lighter bike/frame becuase I like more of the xc side of mtbing so im trying to get it at least a little closer to a xc bike.

I think it weighs about 32lbs right now I would like to get it to the 28-30 range or at least get it so it "feels" lighter

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Yoink; 07-24-2006 at 03:00 PM.

B3 MTB
    your main goal is to get rid of rotating weight away from you (tires/wheels).
    basically, losing (theoretically) 400g in wheels is a much more noticeable difference than 400g in seat/seatpost/etc. you'll be much quicker to accelerate.

hutchinson python air lights are about 490g. weight weenies lists the motoraptor at 620g, so theres a total of 260g, or 0.57 lbs.

its hard to say what you can lose without knowing what you're willing to drop into it. its easy to just say get a sid world cup, crossmax sl's, full xtr and call it a day. sure you lose a whole bunch of weight but for easily more than the coast of the bike.

plus, what does your bike weigh currently? it may be worth it to sell the marin and look at bikes that will be lighter stock.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think it weighs about 32lbs. Im thinking about selling it just havent found any light hard tails that catch my eye. Ive looked at the On One 456, but i dont want to pay shipping from the UK. I really like that style of frame tho so im looking for something similar and it doesnt have to be steel.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoink
    ... Ive looked at the On One 456, but i dont want to pay shipping from the UK. I really like that style of frame tho so im looking for something similar and it doesnt have to be steel.
    The On-One may ship from the US distributor in San Francisco. Even if it does ship from the UK the shipping is reasonable and little, if any, more than domestic rates.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Do you think the on one 456 would be a solid base on building a lighter bike? Or should i look for something a little lighter? Not looking to make a 19lb race machine Just something in the 24-26lb range.
    Last edited by Yoink; 07-24-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0