Weight vs Functionality

Printable View

• 10-29-2012
    dumanichi
    Weight vs Functionality
    I am building a UST wheel set. I am debating which hub to go with. I am looking at the Hope Pro 2 Evo Rear hub 285g and the Hadley rear hub 411g. The Hadley has 72 points of contact vs Hope with 24. I'm not an expert. Should I go light or heavy on the hub?:madman:
  • 10-29-2012
    KevinK
    What UST wheel set are you putting these hubs on? If you want a work horse, that never has problems, I'd go with the DT Swiss 240S hubs. Order the star ratchet, which is super easy to install, and you will have 36poe! I have the dt240s hubs on two bikes, one is 7 years old, the other is fairly new.

If you are a technical rider, I would definitely go with a higher POE like I9 or Hadley, which has 72 POE!, If you hammer, xc, AM, Trail, Downhill, IMO, you really don't need that many points, however, its nice to have, but, at what price? That's totally up to you. Good luck!
  • 10-29-2012
    dumanichi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    What UST wheel set are you putting these hubs on? If you want a work horse, that never has problems, I'd go with the DT Swiss 240S hubs. Order the star ratchet, which is super easy to install, and you will have 36poe! I have the dt240s hubs on two bikes, one is 7 years old, the other is fairly new.

If you are a technical rider, I would definitely go with a higher POE like I9 or Hadley, which has 72 POE!, If you hammer, xc, AM, Trail, Downhill, IMO, you really don't need that many points, however, its nice to have, but, at what price? That's totally up to you. Good luck!

I am running WTB i23 rims. Haven't decided on tires yet but I want something that corners and tracks like the Kenda Nevegal without the extra weight and slow rolling. I looked at the DT Swiss 240s but they are a bit pricey. I am looking at staying under $700 for the wheel build w/o tires. The front DT Swiss hub is out of my price range.
  • 10-29-2012
    vitale232
    I'm runnin frequency i23s on hope pro 2s and loving it. The poe surely hasn't held me back. It's a great value build. I wouldn't recommend it for trials, but for everyday trail riding it serves well. And I tend to enjoy the tech stuff.
  • 10-29-2012
    dumanichi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vitale232 View Post
    I'm runnin frequency i23s on hope pro 2s and loving it. The poe surely hasn't held me back. It's a great value build. I wouldn't recommend it for trials, but for everyday trail riding it serves well. And I tend to enjoy the tech stuff.

What kind of spokes and nipples are on that wheel set?
  • 10-29-2012
    vitale232
    I went with dt comp spokes and some brass nipples. It was my first wheel build, so I stayed away from alloy nips. Probably wouldn't have been an issue, though.

26" wheel, 32 spokes. It's a good balance of weight and functionality. It definitely wasn't a perfect build on my part, but the frequency hasn't come out of (relatively) true in the least.

If you're doing any drops or jumps/weigh a fair amount (I'm 200 lbs geared), it's a great wheel.
  • 10-29-2012
    dumanichi
    Quote:

I went with dt comp spokes and some brass nipples. It was my first wheel build, so I stayed away from alloy nips. Probably wouldn't have been an issue, though.

26" wheel, 32 spokes. It's a good balance of weight and functionality. It definitely wasn't a perfect build on my part, but the frequency hasn't come out of (relatively) true in the least.

If you're doing any drops or jumps/weigh a fair amount (I'm 200 lbs geared), it's a great wheel.

What is your axle setup? I want to do 10mm bolt on on the rear. Do you know if that works with normal dropouts?
  • 10-30-2012
    dumanichi
    Quote:

How much does your current wheel setup weigh?
  • 10-30-2012
    vitale232
    135 x 10 mm rear axle. Check your frame's specs, but it will likely fit. The hub won't come with the axle.

Never had the wheels on a scale so can't help you there. They're not featherweights, but they're great for my style.
  • 11-18-2012
    cassava
    As the thread is about the 'weight vs functionality' may I ask anyone here?If yes first of all I'm not a weight weenies rider and don't mean to mess up this room that filled with those who concern a lot about the light weight bike.

I have two bikes the first one is 2007 Scott Aspect 55 V brake with upgraded drivetrain (Alivio sets) and changed the fork with RST Gila Pro. After that the weight went down to 13.4kg from its original in about 14kg. The second one is a hitensile non-branded Taiwanese MTB equipped with Shimano tourney drivetrain and a rigid fork weighed in 15.3kg.

On occasion I ride both of them alternately. During the ride I never feel anything about the weight difference and surely I couldn't distinct it. Is it because of the weight difference is only in 2kg?
  • 11-18-2012
    rockyuphill
    It's likely because they are both rather heavy, so that 2kg difference isn't that significant at that weight. If you ride a 9kg bike and a 15kg you will definitely feel the difference. If you ride a 9kg and an 11kg bike you will feel the difference.
  • 11-18-2012
    cassava
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    It's likely because they are both rather heavy, so that 2kg difference isn't that significant at that weight. If you ride a 9kg bike and a 15kg you will definitely feel the difference. If you ride a 9kg and an 11kg bike you will feel the difference.

what a quick reply. what are you doing there in the middle of the night? thank you anyway. :)
  • 11-19-2012
    rockyuphill
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cassava View Post
    what a quick reply. what are you doing there in the middle of the night? thank you anyway. :)

Wasn't the middle of the night where I'm located on the west coast.
  • 11-22-2012
    raganwald
    Quote:

As the thread is about the 'weight vs functionality' may I ask anyone here?If yes first of all I'm not a weight weenies rider and don't mean to mess up this room that filled with those who concern a lot about the light weight bike.

In general, you'll find folks in the WW forum eager to help, and their experience trading weight for performance, reliability, and so forth is very helpful.

That being said, I'd encourage you to ask this question over in Wheels and Tires as well. You'll likely get great answers with respect to questions like the value of POE.

I switched from I9s to American Classics, and yes I do miss the 120POE. It's amazing if your idea of technical riding involves ratcheting along skinnies or hopping through gnar. Obviously you can ride without high POE, but like weight, if all other things are equal, higher POE is better just like lower weight is better.
  • 11-23-2012
    raganwald
    Sorry if I'm derailing your question a tad, but I went for a ride with some new parts and wanted to share my observations with you. First, I switched from a Fizik Tundra 2 saddle to a generic carbon fibre "wing" saddle. No give, no cutout, just a carbon foil attached to carbon rails. Super-ight (95g?), and actually quite comfortable on the road. It might be great for geared riders, but I ride a SS and I stand a lot. I also work the bike quite a bit for leverage.

The movement of the bike between my legs caused the sharp edges of the saddle to cut into my thighs. When I got home, the insides of my thighs were a mass of purple welts. I switched it out for a Selle Italia at approximately 125g, and I'm now happy.

I also ride full rigid. I had a nice generic carbon seat post at about 135g for 400mm, but its mounting system couldn't handle carbon rails (boo!). I weighed my options (heh heh), and ended up going for a Syntace HiFlex post. Heavier than many of the alternatives like KCNC, but it is very comfortable to ride.

I'll try to make up the additional weight with lighter rotors.
  • 11-24-2012
    cassava
    Quote:

Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    In general, you'll find folks in the WW forum eager to help, and their experience trading weight for performance, reliability, and so forth is very helpful.

That being said, I'd encourage you to ask this question over in Wheels and Tires as well. You'll likely get great answers with respect to questions like the value of POE.

I switched from I9s to American Classics, and yes I do miss the 120POE. It's amazing if your idea of technical riding involves ratcheting along skinnies or hopping through gnar. Obviously you can ride without high POE, but like weight, if all other things are equal, higher POE is better just like lower weight is better.

I beg your pardon. I'm little new to this thing. what is POE? Did tell about power to energy or something like in motor vehicle term?
  • 11-24-2012
    rockyuphill
    Quote:

I beg your pardon. I'm little new to this thing. what is POE? Did tell about power to energy or something like in motor vehicle term?

Points of Engagement, relates to how quickly the rear hub engages when you begin pedaling. It's a reference to earlier posts.
  • 11-25-2012
    cassava
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Points of Engagement, relates to how quickly the rear hub engages when you begin pedaling. It's a reference to earlier posts.

Ok I see. I know about that thank you.