mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Weight Reduction for Scott Scale 40

Hi,

I'm riding a Scott Scale 40 (with V-Brakes) and I got kinda stuck figuring out how I can reduce the weight further without resorting to drastic measures (i.e. keeping it to $1 USD/g saved if possible). My goal is to hit the 8.5kg mark, but there are a few components I would like to keep as far as possible:

1) Scott Scale frame (The weight unfortunately, is so far from its carbon counterpart...)
    2) Shimano XT Dual Control set (I know these are heavy beasts :/)

I am planning to get a new crankset that would cut around 90g (new one weighs 568g without BB), a new headset that would cut 40g (new one weighs 80g).

I have also considered the XG-999 cassette (save 90g) and a lighter saddle (Selle San Marco Carbon Aspide - save 80g), but those will cost a little more. It's a little hard for me to find old SID forks with v-brake posts out there (100mm travel), so I'm still trying to source for a more readily available fork.

Any recommendations for me? All help is appreciated

Here is my build:

mtbr member

If you're strict on $/g saved, you can get a carbon saddle from eBay for ~$50 and you'll save over 100g.

You can then look at going to a 1X setup, although the cost/g is trickier for me to calculate. You'll lose a shifter, FD, and at least a ring, but you'll have to sort out the cost (and weight) of adding the 1X solution of your choice back on.

The rest of your stuff seems pretty light already, so suggestions would be expensive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thx for ideas Yup... I'm looking into getting a lighter saddle, but hopefully a more padded one than a pure carbon saddle (because I ride without padded shorts).

I don't really plan on going 1X at the moment though and my dual control shifters will look kinda weird if there was only the shifter combo on the right and a generic brake lever on the left :/

Maybe I'll have to be less strict on the cost/gram savings rationale for now and see what can be done to further decrease the weight... any other ideas?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Personally, I'd go for heavier tyres and ditch the tubes for tubeless. I don't know those tyres or tubes but a 300g tyre and 100g MTB tube seems frighteningly light to me. No amount of weight saving is worth the hassle of frequent punctures IMO.

1571g is not that light for wheels on a 26er...your hubs and rims are light, so there must be some lead in there somewhere.....how about using DT rev spokes with ali nips?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    jim: I recorded the weight for the inner tubes wrongly, apparently, they turned out to be 140-150g each. So the total bike weight is actually around 9020g :/ At the moment, I'm not up for tubeless yet as I would like to wear out my current set of tires (pretty new) which aren't really good for tubeless setups (Maxxis Maxxlite 310s).

And you have a good point there about my wheelset... I was wondering why it landed up being so heavy. My rims are the v brake ones tho, so they weigh about 380g each instead of the 355g that are for disc brake rims. My spokes and brass nipples are probably on the heavy side, but according to my theoretical calculations, even after changing to DT revs and alloy nipples, my weight savings will only stand at around 90 - 100 grams?

i.e: Rims (~380g X 2) + DT rev spokes (~143g X 2 for 64 pieces) + alloy nipples (10g X 2 for 64 pieces) + Hubs (118g + 289g) = 1473g (which is still not that light for 26er wheels...) -> Savings ~90 - 100g (probably 90g considering the rim tape)

I'm wondering if my calculations are wrong or is it just not worth it to upgrade the spokes alone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HiddenStar View Post
    Thx for ideas Yup... I'm looking into getting a lighter saddle, but hopefully a more padded one than a pure carbon saddle (because I ride without padded shorts).

I don't really plan on going 1X at the moment though and my dual control shifters will look kinda weird if there was only the shifter combo on the right and a generic brake lever on the left :/

Maybe I'll have to be less strict on the cost/gram savings rationale for now and see what can be done to further decrease the weight... any other ideas?
    You might not notice the hard surface of a carbon saddle on the track, where you're out of the saddle a lot, but yes, you'll notice it on pavement, gravel. Padded shorts are good.

Re the 1X, you can retain your dual controls on both sides of your bar, except the front shifting would not be connected.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That's true, but I'll lose a great chance to save alot more weight. Those dual control beasts weigh ~250g+ per side lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hiddenstar: Yes, that's probably about right. The spokes and nips aren't a huge saving but if you really want to get the weight down, you have to grab those 100g everywhere you can. I wouldn't change a set of existing wheels but if you're about to order a new wheel build, I'd say it's worth considering.

Be prepared for weight variations too. Tyres and rims, in particular can vary a lot from manufacturer stated weights and it can be rather disappointing when your orders start to roll in to weigh the stuff and find out it's quite a bit over the stated weight

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Alright, it looks like I've hit a glass ceiling in terms of finding 'reasonable' components to change for now.

Cranks, headset, cassette, then saddle will be on the line, but those won't get the Scott down to 8.5kg. Looks like I have to consider the spoke change or even the dual control combo change (yikes) :/