mtbr member

Weight Reduction???

I need some help dropping some weight on my new TallboyC build. It currently weighs 24.2lbs. Here's what's currently on the bike:

Arch EX 29 Rear Custom Wheel
    ARch EX 29 Front custom wheel
    BB UNIT SRAM TV GXP ENG OUTBOARD PR 2011
    BRAKE PART SHI DISC ROTOR RT86 160 6B
    BRAKE DISC SHI BR-M985 BL985 KIT RR RESIN PAD
    BRAKE DISC SHI BR-M985 BL985 PST KIT FTRESIN PAD
    BRAKE PART SHIMANO DISC ADAPTER 160MM POST/STD REAR
    CASSETTE SRAM XX1 11-SPEED 10-42T
    CHAIN SRAM PCXX1 11-SPEED 118 LINKS
    CRANKSET SRAM XX1 168Q 32T 175MM CARBON
    ERGON GS1-L LEICHTBAU PRO RACING GRIPS: BLACK
    FORK SUSPENSION FOX F120RLC DRCV E2 KASHIMA COATING BLACK
    HEADSET PART WHEELS MANUF. SPACER CARBON 5MM 1-1/8IN 5/PACK
    Hope Pro 2 EVO 12x42 End Caps
    KING 1 1/8"-1.5" MIXED TAPERED HEADSET BLACK
    LHT MASTERPIECE 30.9 X 350MM BLACK
    PEDAL CRANK BROTHERS EGG BEATER 1 NATURAL STEEL
    REAR DER SRAM XX1 LONG CAGE BLACK
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.25 SS pacestar
    SCHWALBE NOBBY NIC HS411 29X2.35 EVO SS TUBELESS READY
    SHIFT LEVER SRAM XX1 TRIGGER 11-SPEED BLACK REAR
    Tallboy 1.1 L Carbon 13
    SADDLE BONTRAGER INFORM AFFINITY R 138 BLACK
    STEM BONTRAGER RL 31.8MM 7 RISE 100MM BLACK

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    There's not much room there other than going with a set of carbon rims with hubs lighter than the pro2 evos; have you done Ti bolts already? Tubes or no? What handle bar? Shorter, lighter stem might save you 20-30 grams. The ergons are heavy compared to true weenie grips. Going to eggbeater 11 will save you 100 gram but they're very spendy.

official eMpTyBRain
    That's really light already for what it is. Why do you want to go any lighter? I can see a few ways to drop some noticeable weight but it would limit the capabilities of the bike. Is that what you want???
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    You can probably save on the rotors. Also, moving to Ti eggbeaters will save some, and looking at the components you have already, they seem to be in your price range.

official eMpTyBRain
    You can save an honest 100 grams simply by going with ESI Racer or Chunky foam grips. That's 100 grams less for under $20!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Geez, didn't realize the GS-1s were so heavy, ~150g, depending on size.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies! I currently have a Bontrager RXL carbon handlebar. I'm considering upgrading to the Eggbeater 11's. I'm set up tubeless.

I'm also looking at a shorter Easton EC90 stem. However, both the Eggbeater 11's and Easton EC90 stem will cost a ton of $$$ for about 150g in weight reductions.

Tell me more about the Ti bolts? Pros/Cons?

I really, really like the ergon grips. I work with my hands and they're a lifesaver after working all day and trying to ride. My hands use to go numb/hurt after an hour or so into the ride. Wish I could go lighter, but these work very well form me.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Just remembered instead of eggbeater 11, you could get 50-60gm savings with Ti spindles for $45-60 on ebay. This thread is a good place to start, there are a couple of different options in terms of seller (us made vs china).
    Ti bolts have been covered
    extensively in this forum, as well. Search is your friend.
    There are cheaper options than an EC90 for a stem.

insert sarcasm here
    What's your current stem weigh? What's an EC90 stem cost/weigh?

My 90mm Ibis stem was $52 shipped, and weighs 111g. Cant' beat that.

Weight Reduction???-ibis-stem1.jpg
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    I need some help dropping some weight on my new TallboyC build. It currently weighs 24.2lbs. Here's what's currently on the bike:
    What is your goal weight for the bike? What does your custom wheelset with the Arch rims weigh?

People always post these threads, and then when weight weenies who have "been there done that" chime in with good suggestions, the OP of said threads always respond with comments like "I can't change that part as I really like it blah, blah, blah...".

There are lighter tires. There are lighter grips. There are lighter pedals. There are lighter saddles. There are lighter stems. And on and on.

What's your goal and why? Do you want to drop 1/4 pound? A 1/2 a pound? A full pound? How much?

I could see dropping a pound with a few phone calls and a credit card....

mtbr member
    I completely understand. I'd like to change the stem, saddle, and pedals. Maybe other smaller components that I wouldn't have thought of like bolts, Ti spindles, etc.

Eventually, I go with a carbon rim, but I think we're going to see more manufacturer's bringing them onto the market. We're already seeing Specialized introduce a lower price carbon rim.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    I completely understand. I'd like to change the stem, saddle, and pedals. Maybe other smaller components that I wouldn't have thought of like bolts, Ti spindles, etc.

Eventually, I go with a carbon rim, but I think we're going to see more manufacturer's bringing them onto the market. We're already seeing Specialized introduce a lower price carbon rim.
    I wouldn't bother dinking around with Ti bolts unless you actually buy a lighter stem that comes with - or has the option to come with Ti bolts (like the Syntace stems). You can spit a big loogie every 30 minutes and save more weight than you can using Ti bolts.

Light-Bicycle.com has the carbon rims for 29"ers at a good price point. I've got a pair of the AM ones that are wider and a bit beefier (cost me about $350 for the pair at the time) and the wheels built up to a respectable 1530g. They sell for $165 each and with shipping, you could easily convert your current wheels over and go with some lighter spokes. Much cheaper than paying the $1100 for the Specialized wheels.

In terms of stem, saddle and pedals - just weigh the ones you have, then look for lighter alternatives. Syntace F99 stems or F109 stems are very light and durable. F99 if you use the 25.4mm bars (I do with that stem), F109 if you use 31.8mm bars.

WTB makes excellent light weight saddles around the 170g point for the Silverado Carbon model, or up to the 200-215g weight range if you go with Titanium rails for the Silverado, Rocket V, Devo.

A lot of weight weenie items - such as pedals, wheels, etc.. have a weight limit in the 179-180 pound range. I run the Xpedo Ti pedals (215g for a pair). I am right at the weight limit, but have not a had a problem with them to date. Ti spindles have about the same weight limit for most - including Eggs - so make sure you "qualify" before upgrading.

The new Maxxis Ikon 2.35 trumps the Nobby Nic 2.35 in terms of weight by about 75g or so. I have been testing the 2.35 for Maxxis and the retail version should be avialable later this spring or in early summer. Having run the Nobby Nic 2.35, NN 2.25 and the new Ikon - the new Ikon 2.35 is up to the task and actually corners with bite sooner than the Nobby Nic 2.35. Rolls faster and is lighter. Could be worth it for you, but of course - going with ligher XC tires front and rear will reduce your weight even more and with the FS of the Tallboy on a 29"er - your wheels will stay glued to the trail. You can go pretty minimal tread with a 29"er and still get good traction with the right tire pressure and good handling skills. A NoTubes Raven 2.2 in the rear is a nice, super fast 550g rear tire with full 2.2 volume. Coupled with an Ikon or a Ralph up front - and you're XC good to go with a lighter set up than what you currently are running.

However you do it, you'll have to pull the credit card out and ring up a nice 3 to 4 figure bill to trim weight. And then you'll have to ask yourself was it all really worth it? I say building a bike from the ground up using the light parts is the best and most cost effective way to do it. Chances are you couldn't sell the parts you are replacing for enough to pay for much of your weight trimming which means you end up paying a lot more for a lighter bike than had you built it light from the get go because you paid for 2 of many components.

Your hands going numb might have more to do with your setup than the actual grips. Or you might be using a death grip. Maybe your bars are too low, or you are not stretched out into the best position for the three balance points with proper weight distribution (pedals, saddle, grips). I find if my bars are too close to me, I get numb hands. Goes against logical thinking, but the more stretched out I am on the bike, the better my hands feel as the trio of pedals/saddle/bar is more balanced. Get the bar height distance right for the best balance, and you hardly even need grips in terms of hands going numb. The light Bontrager foam grips (about 20g) are my favorite. That's a pretty big weight savings over your heavy Ergon grips. Certainly worth experimenting with your bar set up/reach to dial it in so numbness is gone without having to resort to heavy grips.

It's a slippery slope. Light wheels and tires being the best way to go after trimming excess body weight down to a lean and mean climbing machine rider.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 03-10-2013 at 12:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendations Bruce. I've been following the LightBicycle thread for a year. I've read all the post and subscribe to the thread for any new posts. I was on the fence when I choosing components for my wheelset. Ultimately, the unknowns of the cheap chinese carbon rims kept me on the sidelines for now.

Thank you for the suggestion on the Syntace 109 stem. That's a great stem for the $$$. I don't know how I overlooked it during my build! I just need to figure out exactly what size I want.

I plan on changing saddles soon. This is somewhere were I could shave 50-100g pretty easily without losing too much comfort. Just need to figure out what feel best.

I've considered the Xpedo Ti pedals, but I really like CB eggbeaters and want to stick with them. Xpedo is a solid SPD pedal, and atleast $150 cheaper than EB11's with maybe 50g heavier.

I will look into the Maxxis Ikon's 2.35's. These are new to me. I will ride the Schwalbes until they were out and change out to the Maxxis' and give them a try.

Thanks for the fit recommendations too. I'm planning on getting fitted for the bike. Hopefully, I can get the grips figured out.

mtbr member

Re: Weight Reduction???

I've narrowed down my stem choice between the Ritchey WCS c260 and the Syntace F109.

I'm 175lbs and do not do any jumping or downhill stuff. Could anyone provide any input about either one of these stems? Tia!

mtbr member

I wouldn't be concerned about either stem given your weight and use; both are great names.

I can give you a heads up on the Ritchey. Since it wraps around so much (260 degrees), you have to slide it on your bars from one side (I tested the road equivalent last year).

So, you'll have to remove the grips, shifter, and brake from one side of your bars to install. Not the end of the world - and I really like Ritchey stuff, but just FYI.

mtbr member
    My vote would be carbon rims/ wheelset. They might be a bit pricy, and they might only save a few 100 grams, but they save a few 100g right where it really matters. Also, lighter tubeless tires. If you can drop just 1 lb of rotating mass it will really make the bike feel more lively.

Also, I would be pretty dang stoked if I had a 24.2 lb FS 29er that has decent travel.