Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is this weight possible for santa cruz heckler?

3K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Jacques12345 
#1 ·
Hey! I am getting a heckler and am wondering what kind of components I would ened to get it sub 30 pounds. Now here is the setup i'm going to have on it and the weight of every component. See if my total is right or if i'm missing a few parts that I forgot to add on my bike lol. If theres anything I forgot to calculate please tell me thx.

Components:

Santa cruz heckler frame with fox dhx coil shock - 8 pounds
Maverick duc double crown fork with 6 inches of travel - 4 pounds
xt frond derailleur - 158g
xt rear derailleur - 232g
xt hollowtech2 crankset and integrated bb - 860g
xt shifters - 250g
avid juicy 7 hydraulic disk brakes 6" front and rear- 828g(414 each)
xt cassette - 264g
xt chain - 304g
chris king headset - 100g
easton ea70 stem - 210g
easton ea70 seatpost - 205g
easton ea70 handlebars - 250g
wtb rocket v ti seat - 210g
mavic xc 717 disc rims - 790g(395 each)
dt swiss chanpion spokes black 2.0 both wheels - 444g
dt onyx disc front and rear hub - 585g(192 front , 393 rear)
wtb weirwolf 2.3 tires both tires - 728g
wtb technical grips - 90g

Now since 1 kg = 2.2 pounds and theres 1000 g in a kg, I calculates that 450g is 1 pound. The total of my santacruz heckler with what is listed above is 26.3 pounds. Now i've seen some people on here with hecklers in the 30's and some people that had braught down their's to around 28 or so but I don't know about 26 pounds thought because if this is actually 26 pounds this is a great setup. If anyone find something in my list that is missing please tell me. Thx

Jack

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Jacques12345 said:
Hey! I am getting a heckler and am wondering what kind of components I would ened to get it sub 30 pounds. Now here is the setup i'm going to have on it and the weight of every component. See if my total is right or if i'm missing a few parts that I forgot to add on my bike lol. If theres anything I forgot to calculate please tell me thx.

Components:

Santa cruz heckler frame with fox dhx coil shock - 8 pounds
Maverick duc double crown fork with 6 inches of travel - 4 pounds
xt frond derailleur - 158g
xt rear derailleur - 232g
xt hollowtech2 crankset and integrated bb - 860g
xt shifters - 250g
avid juicy 7 hydraulic disk brakes 6" front and rear- 828g(414 each)
xt cassette - 264g
xt chain - 304g
chris king headset - 100g
easton ea70 stem - 210g
easton ea70 seatpost - 205g
easton ea70 handlebars - 250g
wtb rocket v ti seat - 210g
mavic xc 717 disc rims - 790g(395 each)
dt swiss chanpion spokes black 2.0 both wheels - 444g
dt onyx disc front and rear hub - 585g(192 front , 393 rear)
wtb weirwolf 2.3 tires both tires - 728g
wtb technical grips - 90g

Now since 1 kg = 2.2 pounds and theres 1000 g in a kg, I calculates that 450g is 1 pound. The total of my santacruz heckler with what is listed above is 26.3 pounds. Now i've seen some people on here with hecklers in the 30's and some people that had braught down their's to around 28 or so but I don't know about 26 pounds thought because if this is actually 26 pounds this is a great setup. If anyone find something in my list that is missing please tell me. Thx

Jack
first off
453.59g = 1 pound

Not sure on the frame/fork weight exactly

You're missing a few things by a quick glance.
King HS is more like 110-120g depending on what you weigh it with
Seat is more like 240g
Tubes
Cables/Housing
Tire weight will vary, so it could be more
Pedals?
Discs- don't hecklers use bigger rotor's ? 8"
Rims (717/317's are more like 405-420g ea) Why are these on a a Free ride bike esque...
Skewers
Spokes are usually weighed by weighing a small spoke so its hard to say how much each spoke would be unless you weigh one. + nipples + rim strip tape (5-30g each wheel depending on what you use)

I'm sure theres some other weights, but to get an accurate measurement get a scale. If you want a general estimate you can just use weighweeinies.starbike.com as a reference but chances are your bike will be more than these "claimed weights"

#3 ·
Missing a few things

Such as: Skewers (aprox 120-130 grams), headset spacers, shifter cables and housing, nipples for the spokes (71 grams/64), tubes for the tires?

Why such a heavy frame with light weight XC components?

#4 ·
Well, right off..

The Weirwolf are 728 grams EACH so that's more than a pound right there. And pedals, at least are about 300. SO that's over 2.2 pounds right there. Much closer to 28. Still good though.

Dan

#5 ·
you missed cables and housings, which is about 150-200g
bottle cage/s, about 40g a piece for nice lightweight ones
skewers - 150g
tubes - 300g
rim tape - 20g

that handlebar is about 100g ligher than what you have posted and the post is about 50g heavier than posted
and it always ends up being heavier than whatever you calculate, but, itll still be around 27lbs. not bad!

*EDIT* lol, when i started this post, there were no posts, but when i finally posted it, there were like 3! :D

#7 ·
That's b/c we all knew there was no way you're gonna get a 26 pound heckler unless you go crazy light with the parts. And then what's the point of going w/ a freeride frame, you'll just bust something like a handlebar or a taco a wheel hucking it off a 7 foot gap.

Dan

#8 ·
Besdies the parts you missed... theres parts there that just aren't all that great, unless you already have them:)

Too start, I'm a fan of SRAM gear, you should check it out.

Then, the seatpost, stem and handlebar area can be improved on, from my knowledge the EA70 post(in 350) should be closer to 300grams. I would reccomend you get a thompson as it is lighter and stronger.

The stem is also very heavy, i reccomend getting Syntace stem(I believe it's callef the 135 or something, it's the cheaper, stronger, heavier version of the F99).

The bars.. I guess they are alright, but you may aswell look into carbon.

Oh yes... And those hubs, aren't the best. Maybe look at something like Hope hubs??

#9 ·
Hey I calculated all the things you guys added in and for all those who gave me differente weights for the ones I had already, I got mine from the manufacturers websites so I will stick with those for now. I also changed a few thigns that I ahd before, so here are the new things and the total weight.

nipples - 20g
rim tape - 20g
cables and housing - 200g
wellgo platform aluminium pedals - 300g
mavic crossmax xl tubeless wheelset - 1805g
hutchinson scorpion 2.3 tubeless tires - 1800g
I also switched the dt onyx hubs for hope bulb hubs but the weight isn't listed on their website so I will stick with dt onyx hubs weight for now - 600g
I will probably also get an 8" rotor for the front and leave 6" in the back

I know the components I listed aren't all for freeride but i'm not planning on making the heckler an all out freeride bike, I want it to be an all mountain trail bike that can take the occasional 4-5 foot jump wich is why I am giving it lighter components.

The total weigt of this heckler with the new parts is now 32.3 pounds lol big difference from before, I want it way lighter then that so I will be switching a few things on there.

Thanks for all your info.

Jack

#10 ·
Syntace stems

You could go with the Syntace F-139 that weights 137 grams (105mm) or the SuperForce that weights 159 grams (105mm). Both stems are very strong, stiff and affordable. Lightwight stong bars are availble too.

Happy trails

Jacques12345 said:
Hey I calculated all the things you guys added in and for all those who gave me differente weights for the ones I had already, I got mine from the manufacturers websites so I will stick with those for now. I also changed a few thigns that I ahd before, so here are the new things and the total weight.

nipples - 20g
rim tape - 20g
cables and housing - 200g
wellgo platform aluminium pedals - 300g
mavic crossmax xl tubeless wheelset - 1805g
hutchinson scorpion 2.3 tubeless tires - 1800g
I also switched the dt onyx hubs for hope bulb hubs but the weight isn't listed on their website so I will stick with dt onyx hubs weight for now - 600g
I will probably also get an 8" rotor for the front and leave 6" in the back

I know the components I listed aren't all for freeride but i'm not planning on making the heckler an all out freeride bike, I want it to be an all mountain trail bike that can take the occasional 4-5 foot jump wich is why I am giving it lighter components.

The total weigt of this heckler with the new parts is now 32.3 pounds lol big difference from before, I want it way lighter then that so I will be switching a few things on there.

Jack

#11 ·
A 26lb Heckler is doable but forget about doing any Freeriding type stuff and plan on spending a bunch of dough
Frame is more like 3800 grams (8.4lbs)
Fork is around 1720 (3.75lbs)
The fork uses a proprietary stem and front hub (see mavericks website)http://www.maverickamerican.com/products/forks/
You'll need to use lighter drive train parts you can save almost 1/2 pound off what you have listed.
Mix in some carbon goodies, lightweight tires and tubes and you should be sub 27lbs but not by much

#12 ·
Hey! Az steelhead, the frame is 7.9 pounds according to my lbs, they weighed it for me with the 5th element coil, and the dhx is a bit lighter and i'm also planning on going with a ti spring and the fork is 3.5 pounds according to mavericks website but with mounts ect. comes to about 4 pounds.

#13 ·
Som more corrections

You listed a weight for Mavic XM XL whellset but then list a weight for hubs and nipples. The weight you list for nipples would be for aluminum nipples. The weight you list for rim strips (which aren't needed with Mavic XM XL) would only cover one rip strip, 20 grams per wheel. mavic weight for their wheel set is very conservative too, they will be heavier than listed weight.

#14 ·
I had a 03 Heckler that was stuck on the 30lb barrier - couldn't get it under unless parts were used that kept if from its purpose. With 5 inches of travel in back you need the parts there that can hold up when you use all that travel. I had Thomson, stem + Layback post, Carbon Monkeylites, UST Scorpions 2.3, King ISO hubs & Headset, Hayes Hydros (160 rotors), and a Z1 FR/SL fork. It was going to be tough to get it under 30lbs and not make it into a heavy XC bike due to parts. The weight weenie in me ended up selling it because it was too big of a difference switching between my 18.5 lb Ti rigid SS and a 30lb 10 inch of travel all around bike (and I rode the SS more). So I sold the Heckler and went with a Carbon 04 NRS Air - and let the weight weenie in me be happy.

Hope this helps in some kind of way...

FF

#17 ·
Folks need to remember hecklers aren't freeride bikes, that's what the Bullit is in the model line for. Hecklers are the All-Mountain/Trail bike model and the frame is about 7.4 to 7.9 depending on shock/frame size but the largest size with the 5th air was 7.6 Ibs according to SC (and I emailed them to ask). Yes they're designed to accept an 8" disc but most folks use them with 6" discs. The Maverick DUC forks also are not freeride forks but all-mountain trail forks, and I believe the weight is actually about 3.25 for the fork, but another half pound for the maverick hub (since the fork uses a proprietary 24mm axle size). Not sure if DT makes a maverick compatible hub as of yet and I'm pretty sure Mavic doesn't yet either.

#18 ·
You can get the Heckler to 28 lbs easy

You can get to 28 pounds with a good mix of readily available components for good prices, but probably not with the coil spring. The various air shock options work great with the Heckler (though supposedly the coil is better). I have a 5th air on my XL frame. Weighs 7 pounds, so almost 1.5 pounds lighter than the coil option right there. My heckler is 27.5 pounds. Here's how I got there:

Shock: 5th Air
Fork: Fox Talas
Crank: FSA Carbon Pro
BB: FSA Platinum Ti
Pedals: Wellgo Magnesium
Grips: Foam grips
Seat: WTB Stealth Ti
Stem: Easton EA 70
Bars: Easton Aluminum
Brakes: Avid Mech, with Avid cables and steel FMJ
Levers: Avid SD Ti
Wheelset: Mavic 317, 14/15db spokes, Onyx Hubs
Tires: IRC Serac
Tubes: Torrelli lightweight tubes
Derailer: SRAM XO rear, XTR front
Shifter SRAM XO twisties

Could drop maybe close to a pound if I went with some lighter brakes. The Avids are pigs (but work great).

#19 ·
Jacques12345 said:

Jack
For the type of riding you want to do and the kind of weight you want, you should look into a yeti 575 instead of the heckler.

Mine's sub 30lbs right now with heavy 2.35 kenda kinetic tires and heavy mavic 223 rims (deore hub in back and yeti arc hub in front).

Could get her down lower with lighter wheelset and/or going to a talas vs. my vanilla . . .

#20 ·
Hey I did some more research and I wanted tubeless wheels and tires so I was gonna get the crossmaxx xl but I found out about the mavic xm 819 disc wheels wich are also tubeless and also in the all mountain wheels weighing in at only 930 grams for both wheels(465g each) instead of the crossmax wich weighed 1805g for both wheels, that saves 2 pounds right there and also I switched over the hutchison scorpion 2.3 tubeless for hutchinson spider 2.3 tubeless wich weight in at 1490g for both tires instead of 1800g for both tires with the scorpions so thats almost another pound off there. I also took off the rim rape wich weighs 20g because mavic tells me you don't need it with xm 819's

The total weight with the abo changes for the heckler is now 29.7 pounds, brining it in at under 30 pounds.

Now i'm also planning on changing a few more things lik going to sram xo rear derailleur and shifters wich will save a bit more weight there and I might also be able to find light platform pedals then the wellgo ones that are 300g, i'm also planning on switched disc brakes from the avid juicy 7's to something like hope mono m4 or hayes hfx mag because I have heard that there might be some small problems with the juicys so I don't really want to take a chance, is there anyone that might be able to comment on this? Also if I were to switch the coil shock to an air shock I could drop the bike down another pound or pound and a half or if I was to switch to a titanium coil it would drop down the weight again so I think the heckler is coming along pretty well. I will post if I make any more changes.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Jack

#22 ·
Jacques12345 said:
Hey I did some more research and I wanted tubeless wheels and tires so I was gonna get the crossmaxx xl but I found out about the mavic xm 819 disc wheels wich are also tubeless and also in the all mountain wheels weighing in at only 930 grams for both wheels(465g each) instead of the crossmax wich weighed 1805g for both wheels,
819s are not 465g, they are claimed at 465g, but they are well over 500g each.

If you want some "all mountain" rims that are truly around 465g, try the mavic 719s, formerly known as the F519s.

#24 ·
We weighed an anodized 04 large with a Fifth air shock, just under 8 Lbs, as for the Maverick I've only seen weights from Anders (see his post on this board) I think he had it around 1900 grams inc. stem. I had a post last year looking for info to build a 6" travel bike under 30 Lbs base on an Inferno or Bullit, I haven't started building anything yet but may take a very close look at a VP Free / Maverick combo.

#25 ·
Hey!

Gearhead: You can't use rims withought hubs, nipples and spokes, the weights I listed at 465g for each mavic xm 819 rim is for the rims only, the weight for the nipples, spokes and hubs are in my first post, way on top and are calculated in the total weight.

Jm: The xm719's seem like very nice rims and are the rims that are suppose to come with the build kit i'm getting fron santacruz but I would prefer tubeless rims and tires for the added traction and stability wich is why i'm upgrading to the xm 819's Also on the website the 719's are listed at 460g each as for the 819's are listed at 465 g each, just 5 g difference, do you know the actual difference between these rims?

Damion: Yes I might be running an air shock instead of a coil because I won't be doing that many jumps and I think the air shock should be able to stand up to the occasional up to 4" jumps that I might do and the coil might not be worth the added weight because I could be saving maybe 1 to 1.5 pounds by getting the air instead of the coil shock and if decide to get the coil shock i'm gonna be getting a titanium frame. Also for the bars, post and stem I was planing of getting easton ea 70, is there a reason thompson is better for the post and stem?

Thanks

Jack

#26 ·
FORE inserts

The 819 are the same rim used in the Crosmax Xl wheelset. With the 819 you still need to use the FORE inserts, which weigh aprox 50 grams, just so you can attach spokes to them. Th real weight of the 819's actually is 465 + 50 = 515 grams per rim.

I think you may have misunderstood something about the crossmax XL's, you state that you can save 2 pound by switching to 819's. The crossmax are a complete wheelset, where as the 819 still needs eveything else. The only reason the crossmax are so light is because of their minimalist hubs and low spoke count.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.