mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Sella Italia X.0 215g, modification in progress...

okay now I have a ''Vélo Saddle Pronto Z2'' that weight 235g...

I just found an old saddle in my toolbox

It seems to be a old Sella Italia (1999 or 2000) X.0 (The regular one, but i am not sure)
    Its not realy padded like my other x.0... This one seems a lot lighter...

Anyone know its weight ?

It have a completly rigid shell with FeC Alloy Rails (I would eventualy like to rip the saddle and just have the shell to save weight)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Megaclocker; 05-23-2006 at 04:10 PM.

I <3 29ers
    Couldn't tell you, but i'd love to see a profile pic of that seat if you do decide to rip off the leather/foam. Sometimes I wonder just how much SI changes their molds for different seat designs (wondering if they just changed the shape of the foam to save money).

Good luck with it. My SI Flite hack job knocked off 86 grams (224 to 138).
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just found what it is !

Its a 2000 Sella Italia X.0

http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030....00&model=10323

I would like to know its weight just to compare to my current saddle before i start removing all the padding

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just got the weight !

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Saddle/product_22691.shtml

215g it is !

I am gonne rip it offtonight probably just the cover and the foam... After i will maybe cut the extra useless shell...

I will keep you posted with pics !

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Finaly i finished it !

Its now way lighter then my old 240g saddle... I guessing this one weight arround 180g maybe less... (No scale for now ) I drilled a few holes the saddle ( just to look cool) , and i did'nt modified its shape.

Any comments ?

Pics for the interested !
    Attached Images Attached Images

I <3 29ers
    Thanks for the pics! Wow, holy sloped nose!!!

Comment? Yes. Start cutting!!!

Gotta ask - why no scale? Breaky?

Oh, watch the flex at this point. Once you start cutting that plastic it tends to want to get weak. Also, pay attention to the length of your seat clamping bolts! You have nuts, but NOT the kind you want to try to stick a screw into!!! (yes, i'm assuming you're male - apologies if you're not)

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How much a digitala scale cost

It would be fun

I have a dremel so it will be easy to cut it...I will do this after i got my scale (it will be more motivating)

I will ride this saddle like this a little bit, before doing further modification

The saddle is quite thick in the middle about 5-6mm (I drilled a hole in one place because there was a sort of plastic malformation there )
    The plastic seems to be real strong !
    Last edited by Megaclocker; 05-24-2006 at 07:45 PM.

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaclocker
    How much a digitala scale cost

It would be fun

I have a dremel so it will be easy to cut it...I will do this after i got my scale (it will be more motivating)

I will ride this saddle like this a little bit, before doing further modification

The saddle is quite thick in the middle about 5-6mm (I drilled a hole in one place because there was a sort of plastic malformation there )
    The plastic seems to be real strong !
    Words of advice ..... and warning;

When I did my Flite I put a notch in the back, similar to many others. The notch is no problem - you'll save weight and sacrifice nothing. BUT watch with trimming the SIDES! I found that when I started trimming the sides the flexibility of the saddle went WAY up. Without the support the sides offer the center section of the saddle looses strength, thus the increased flexibility. Most of this is a structural thing. I'd recommend trimming the sides in stages, maybe 5-6 mm at a time. The specific area is on either side of the saddle, at it's LOWEST point.

Also, if you want to put a notch through the center of the saddle, like SI's Flow channel, you should be okay there, too. I didn't notice any great compromise there with flexibility.

I can't comment on trimming/cutting the nose. I never got that far.

Above all else, take your time and work in stages. At the very least, doing so will mean you can LEARN as you go - if you wreck this one you know that much more for the next time (if you try it again). I speak from experience here. I'm not far off from having a junked SI Naked Flite. If I weighed any more my saddle wouldn't be worth crap.

Good luck and keep us updated.

... and cookies.