Big Boy

weight loss with brake switch

I'm having a hard time finding definitive weight. I am thinking about swapping out my brakes BB7's for shimano slx.

Any idea what a weight loss for this would be? I would be swapping lines, levers, and calipers. Rotors would not change. I am hoping 200 grams or more, but I will likely buy the slx regardless because I am used to the feel and power of hydros.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Big Boy
    nobody has made this switch?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't think it will be 200 grams maybe, but there will be some weight loss, Weight loss aside your braking will improve 10 fold. Brakes are the one area I have really never worried about the weight of.

mtbr member
    Why SLX? Have you thought of something like the Hygia Usagi's? I swapped my Hayes Stroker Carbons for these and dropped a few grams. They're fairly cheap, light and more than powerful enough. I'm running them 160mm front, 140mm rear.

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringboy View Post
    Why SLX? Have you thought of something like the Hygia Usagi's? I swapped my Hayes Stroker Carbons for these and dropped a few grams. They're fairly cheap, light and more than powerful enough. I'm running them 160mm front, 140mm rear.
    I settled on shimano because of the constant rave reviews they have gotten the past two years. I have actually never heard of the hygia usagi's. How are they in the power and feel departments?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    I settled on shimano because of the constant rave reviews they have gotten the past two years. I have actually never heard of the hygia usagi's. How are they in the power and feel departments?
    They're good. I think they use shimano pads so not sure if they're based on shimano. Picked mine up for about 120 and don't have a bad word to say about them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You probably won't lose that much. Especially if you already have light rotors (which you may have because you are not replacing them). Also, it depends on the levers that you are running with your BB7's. All of these weights can be found online. There is nothing wrong with a properly set up BB7. I had an older set with aluminum and ti hardware, light levers, and light rotors. I only saved about 100g going to Hope Evo X2's.

Big Boy
    i have lightish rotors (alligator serrations). The levers are fr-5's which I havent weighed. I may just stick with them. I priced a set of slx brakes today with the lbs....$350. Pretty much made my mind up for me with that price.

mtbr member
    Don't know whether or not you're interested but here's a link to some Hygia's on Ebay Hygia Usagi | eBay

There's also a couple of threads here on mtbr with reviews of them.

I'm also running mine with lightweight Alligator rotors (not the greatest of photo's but you get the general idea):

And on the scales:

Front

Rear