mtbr member
    Jun 2007

weight differences in Hope hubs? SS and standard

Changing my wheelset to a setup with a lighter rim that is laced to a SS hub. Putting 8 gears on it after some machining. The wheelset it's replacing has a standard Hope hub (135/disc).

Just wondering if anyone has weight on hubs before they're laced up. Shouldn't be much difference at all though

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by banksd1983
    Changing my wheelset to a setup with a lighter rim that is laced to a SS hub. Putting 8 gears on it after some machining. The wheelset it's replacing has a standard Hope hub (135/disc).

Just wondering if anyone has weight on hubs before they're laced up. Shouldn't be much difference at all though
    I believe the SS is about 60 grams heavier in QR format. Curious to see the machining that allowed you to get 8 cogs on that cassette body. Details or pics?

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    My Hope Pro II SS hub, QR version, stainless steel freehub body = 379g

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I did not have my scale with me when I built my Hope SS wheels but they were claimed to be 380g.
    I regret not going for something lighter like DT 240 SS with the 36 POE upgrade kit or the WTB SS hub which is claimed to be 318g (Unknown no. of POE).

I have managed to squeeze 7 cogs to the Hope hub by modifying a DA cassette, 8 will be a challenge :-)