mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Weighed: Light Bicycle 30mm rim, Stan's 12x142 hub, Sapim Laser

New 29 rear wheel picked up today.

Rim: Light Bicycle 30mm 3K glossy 32H (384g)
    Hub: Stan's ZTR 3.30 12x142 (246g)
    Spokes: Sapim Laser, black, 2x, DS brass, NDS alloy

Built by velomech.net

No tape, no rear axle, no valve stem: 811 grams

165 pound rider, XC racing, not a lot of rocks or roots or big jumps. Tubeless with Specialized 2Bliss tires. Same setup as the other LB wheels. Went with brass DS nipples hoping to get many years of durability and avoid alloy nipples popping out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sounds very cool!, you'll have to snap a picture. I think similar rims are somewhere in my future.
    Have you had problems with allow nipples? Maybe I just ride really 'light', I don't think I've ever broken an alloy nipple, I've rebuilt the wheels on my old xc race bike several times having worn out, nearly worn through several rims, -using DT db 14/16 spokes and alloy nipples. I'm 6'3 175 race weight (rode up to 50# heavier for a while...), did a lot of c1 races on those wheels too, but all at the lighter wieght.
    I imagine the carbon rim weight savings makes up for any gain the brass nipples would make.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've never had alloy nipple problems, but in full disclosure I never kept wheels long. Sell 'em each year. For this set I plan to race in many NUE and marathon races, and the wheelbuilder whom I trust said the training, travel, entry and expenses would be for naught should a drive-side alloy nipple pop after a few years use. Whether it happens or not....dunno. I purchased the spokes from Dan's Comp and they gladly shipped half brass, half alloy. Brass nipples were significantly less cost. I believe one Laser spoke with brass nipple was 95 cents and one Laser spoke with alloy was $1.14

The LB 30mm rims aren't any lighter than my American Classic or Crest rims, just a ton more stiffness! Alloys me to use a narrower tire and get great traction and less sidewall roll.

I forget how much more 16 brass nipples weigh than the alloy. I believe it was about 11 grams, and after a year or so of truing I'd take the brass durability (again, not that I've had any corrosion or reliability with alloy nipples)..... but using high quality four-sided spoke wrench may make it a moot point, using anti-seize or adding one mm to calculated spoke length to reinforce the flange of the nipple by threading the spoke all the way through. At the very least I can be the center of parking lot pre-ride blabbing with my "drive side is brass and non-drive side is alloy..."