mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Weep hole issues on carbon bars with formula brakes (r1)?

So I was at the bike shop the other day and they had a sign saying they don't recommend using formula brakes with carbon bars because apparently the weep port can damage the carbon. Since I have r1s on carbon race face next sl bars I was concerned. Because i have ridden my bike downhill (north star) i was very concerned. I took them off but saw no signs of damage.

Has anyone experienced problems with these?

Thanks!

ups and downs
    Formula brakes use DOT 4 brake fluid rather than mineral oil, so any time you end up with brake fluid on the handlebars it's likely to attack the clear coat on the carbon bars. Most likely it will just attack the finish and not the carbon structure.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Formula brakes use DOT 4 brake fluid rather than mineral oil, so any time you end up with brake fluid on the handlebars it's likely to attack the clear coat on the carbon bars. Most likely it will just attack the finish and not the carbon structure.
    Good to know. Would you recommend then switching to mineral oil or would that have a negative effect on the brakes?

ups and downs
    You can't change brake fluid type without changing brakes. Magura and Shimano brakes both use mineral oil. Formula, Avid and Hope use DOT fluid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    my old oro puros leaked through that port onto my ec90 monkeylite bars. yes, it ate away some of the finish. as stated above, it appears to only attack the top layer - but i'm not sure though. i got rid of those troublesome brakes a while ago, but still use the bars (with a different brand of brakes).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    You can't change brake fluid type without changing brakes. Magura and Shimano brakes both use mineral oil. Formula, Avid and Hope use DOT fluid.
    Yeah that's not going to happen. R1s are the best in my opinion.

Maybe there is something I can wrap the bars in or coat them with to protect the finish a bit. Any ideas on what might work well? Maybe Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?

Thanks for the info guys!

ups and downs
    Use alcohol to wipe the bar clamp area down if you see any fluid on them. Brake fluid will eat automotive paint right off of a steel body, so there's not many things that resist DOT brake fluid.