Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013

Wanting to put my Trek 69er on a diet

Like I said I want to shed some weight off my bike and wanting to know what the best bang for buck things will be.Right now its setting at 25lbs Here are my bike specs 2008 Trek 69er 3x9 - BikePedia Im wanting to set it up tubeless,wcs foam grips,Bronson tires or maybe some schwalbes not decided yet,planning on getting this wcs bar off ebay Ritchey WCS Flat 5D Wet White Handlebar | eBay probably going to get a carbon seat post,stem and maybe a new saddle "need some recommendation on that"thinking wcs also on that.With things like this what kind of weight could I get down to.Or are their areas I should focus on more?

mtbr member
    WTB Bronsons? Fantastic grip, but heavy, so not WW candidates.

Best bang for the buck? Drop the left shifter, front derailleur, cable & housing, 2 chainrings, and go to a 1X9 setup. (You'll need to add a chain guide.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    WTB Bronsons? Fantastic grip, but heavy, so not WW candidates.

Best bang for the buck? Drop the left shifter, front derailleur, cable & housing, 2 chainrings, and go to a 1X9 setup. (You'll need to add a chain guide.)
    x2. I just did it a week ago, lost over a pound. It was FREE. You may want a different size middle ring, but not required. So grams/$ = infinite

#2 best bang for the buck, tubeless and/or lighter tires. I was SHOCKED at how much quicker the bike feels by dropping 1/2lb from each wheel, the rotating weight makes a big difference. My tires (kenda Nevegals) are in decent shape, so I just pulled the tube, cut stems from old tubes, added sealant and went. Big difference. The Nevegals arn't the lightest tires out there, but they work great in my area, thinking about something similar but lighter when these wear out.

I have my Trek on a diet too, my theory is to upgrade when something needs to be replaced anyway, so the weight reduction expense is only the cost above what you would've paid for a non-lightweight part, ie. my rear der is getting sloppy, so I'll likely get an xtr vs the xt because it's lighter, although an xt would work just fine.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Well i'm not sure if i'm tough enough to pull 1x9 on some of the climbs around here I may try just riding in the middle chain ring the whole time tomorrow and see how I like it.I guess if I converted over and didn't like its not like I would be losing any money.Any recommendation on a good lightweight all round tire for both my 26 and 29 hoop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I wasn't sure either, so I did several short neighborhood rides in middle-ring only, attacked the hills hard as I could instead of just dropping into granny and spinning away, Worked well. I think I'm faster now to boot

I really like the Nevegals I have on currently (2.3front, 2.1rear), just discovered there is a Nevegal Lite:

Kenda Nevegal DTC Lite 26" Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

about middle of the pack weight-wise, but the std Nevegal works great in my area (Western NC) and supposedly works well ghetto-tubeless. All the lighter tires I research have enough bad reviews I'm I'm not sure I want to try them and be disappointed. I think I'm willing to take the hit on weight for something that works. might order a pair next payday, I'm due for new rubber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -sparky- View Post
    Well i'm not sure if i'm tough enough to pull 1x9 on some of the climbs around here I may try just riding in the middle chain ring the whole time tomorrow and see how I like it.I guess if I converted over and didn't like its not like I would be losing any money.Any recommendation on a good lightweight all round tire for both my 26 and 29 hoop.
    It's always a tradeoff with 1X. I would lean towards a combination where you lose the fewest "easy" gears, and drop the most high end ratios. On single track, I'm sure you'll agree that you are rarely, if ever maxing out your speed gear-wise.

As an example with 1X9, going with a 28 tooth chainring up front only drops (going from memory) the easiest 1 or 2 ratios at most. However, you lose several from the high end. As you move to 30T, 32T, etc you lose more and more from the granny side of the spectrum, but you gain max speed. My wife is using a 28T Widgit, and loves it on the trails. (She does get spun out on the tarmac on the way to the trails, but again, it's a tradeoff.) I would anticipate that most people can handle 32T up front, which is a good tradeoff of lower and high end ratios.

Re tires, you are asking for the "holy grail": lightweight and good all-round. Could probably trigger a long debate. As mentioned earlier, I used to run the WTB Bronsons as a "bad conditions" tire, and it is fantastic. But it certainly is not light.

I just moved to 29X2.1 Rocket Ron EVOs. At 485g for the heavier one in the set, you won't get a heck of a lot lighter than that. So far the grip is pretty decent, even in some mucky stuff (not as good as the Bronsons), and the rolling resistance is not bad. I'm happy with them, but they aren't cheap.

Let us know how it goes.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Didn't get to get a chance to go riding today but I know I will be able to over the weekend.But based off a short ride I think I can handle it and it will make me a better rider.To convert to 1x9 all I need will be shorter chain ring bolts and chain guide right? I have a slx crank.I think I may play around with different chain rings to see what feels right.That was the only thing that discouraged me from getting a set of schwalbes but im thinking it will be worth the trade off in weight. I'm going to set it up tubeless,go 1x9,grips,new set of tires,handlebars,saddle and maybe a seat post will see what weight that gets me to and maybe might splurge later in the year and get a new wheel set.My goal weight is 20 lbs and I realize that may be a little to hopeful but im gonna get as close as my wallet allows.

mtbr member
    Good point about the grips BTW. Moving to foam ones is another super easy and relatively inexpensive upgrade. A lighter wheelset is probably the most satisfying in terms of weight loss, and you'll really notice it, but as you mention it can start to get expensive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    A lighter wheelset is probably the most satisfying in terms of weight loss, and you'll really notice it, but as you mention it can start to get expensive.
    x2 on the new wheels. Watch for a deal, I got a set of older CrossMax for $100 (effectively, they were $300 and I sold my heavy bontrager set for $200.. because they needed bearings. $40 for bearings and a good cleaning and I have a great wheelset and dropped at least a pound. (didn't weight the bontragers before dumping them).

Also, now is the 2013 close-out time, to make room for the 2014 stuff. Last years model is just as good and you can save quite a bit if you time it right and combine coupons/sales.

One man's junk is another man's treasure..

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    So I got to ride all weekend and made sure I got to ride the steepest sections I regularly ride.I think overall I will be fine with 1x9.It definitely improved my times and although I had to step my game up a bit I feel more satisfied riding like that then sitting back and spinning. Im going to go by my lbs and picking up some shorter chainring bolts and maybe some grips.I plan on doing the tubeless conversion in a week or two when I get new tires as mine are shot.I would like to get it all done before my next race.I weighed it in with bottle cage,cycling computer and pump and it came in at hefty 26.5.Im not sure how much it adds but I could care less how much it would weigh without it because its not like I will be riding without that stuff.Im gonna keep my eyes out for any good deals and ill just add piece by piece slowly.

mtbr member
    Awesome! I feel like I'm converting you to 1X. Can't deny though that's its good for weight loss: both bike and rider.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    So to do thiss all I will need to do is follow these instructions for xt cranks?How to Remove Shimano Hollowtech Cranks | eHow I read some people used needle nose pliers instead of the cap tool but ill pick one up if I can.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Well converted it to 1x9 today and lost right at a pound.So now im at 25.5 with bottle cage,pump and computer.Going to get a set of tires and go tubeless in the next couple of weeks.Ill probably pick up some foam grips soon and im going to get a co2 pump to eliminate the weight from my pump.