mtbr member
    Jul 2012

upgrades for my singlespeed

Hi everyone!

I have a singlespeed 2013 Kona Explosif that I really, really love, but it is heavy for a singlespeed at 24lb to 26lb depending on the parts and tires I am using. I'm going to have a custom builder make a titanium version for me with a slightly tweaked geometry, and I'm contemplating some upgrades. I'm enamored with most of the build, but I am looking for advice on some of the components. I definitely don't want to sacrifice any durability or ride quality, but I am willing to spend some money.

Current stuff:
    XT BR-M785 brakes
    Avid rotors
    Straight gauge spokes, Brass nipples, Stans Arch 27.5 32h rims
    Surly singlespeed lockring kit
    XT Trail pedals
    SRAM PC850 chain
    Rockshox Reverb dropper from 2013
    Giant Contact Low Rise Carbon bars
    older Ritchey WCS stem

Potential upgrades:
    XTR Trail brakes
    RT86 Ice-Tech 6-Bolt Disc Rotor
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes, Alloy nipples, WTB i24 carbon rims
    Q2 Carbon singlespeed lockring kit
    XTR Trail pedals
    KMC X9SL chain
    Rockshox Reverb Stealth? Thomson?
    ENVE riser mountain bar
    ENVE carbon stem

Thanks so much for any advice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You can get lighter and much cheaper alloy stems than the ENVE. Syntace f109 is a good option. If you just want a carbon look at the Loaded Napalm carbon stem. 91g.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks! I'll look into the f109. Less expensive is better if it has the same performance.

mtbr member
    I just had Funk Cycles build me a ti singlespeed. To help decide on parts, I put a spreadsheet together and it allowed me to look at cost and weight of all the options.

Ask your builder if they can help with pricing on any specific brands. That could make your decisions much easier.

Also from the parts you listed, this is my personal experience:

I have 1 bike with XTR race brakes and another with XTR trail. I like the feel of the XTR race much better, and they are also lighter.

I have 1 bike with XTR race pedals and another with XT trail pedals. I don't really see or feel any benefit of the trail pedals, and prefer the lighter weight of race

If you want a light dropper, look at KS carbon. Very light and probably the smoothest dropper I've owned

I've had a few brands of carbon bars, and like the feel of enve the best. Just the right amount of flex.

I've tried KMC x9sl, x10sl, and x11sl. They all seemed to require frequent adjustment. I've had much better luck with xtr chains.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks, that's very helpful! I especially appreciate the advice on the chain. Are you using the XTR 9-speed?

mtbr member
    I use 11 speed xtr. Compared to kmc, the shimano is quieter and doesn't need tightened as often. Some people love kmc, but I just didn't like them.