mtbr member

Under 24lbs Anthem!!

Sweet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ballbuster

Nice...

Quote Originally Posted by gambo2166
    Sweet.
    ... but I suggest verifying it on a good digital scale. Something strikes me as fishy with this, considering the Prodegy XC cranks, Race Face Prodegy stem and disc brakes.

Still, Purdy bike! How does it ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... but I suggest verifying it on a good digital scale. Something strikes me as fishy with this, considering the Prodegy XC cranks, Race Face Prodegy stem and disc brakes.

Still, Purdy bike! How does it ride?
    Sweet bike !! the fruit scale at my LBS is 1/2 # light compared to a Alpine sports digital scale , I agree with pimpbot cranks( raceface evolve ?? = 940 grams) ,stem (race face prodigy??= 230 grams) what wheel set is on it ?? tires are ?? If the tires are Maxxis Maxxlite 310 those aloan saves a pound over a light set of XC tires 1080 grams ( my michelins XCR Dry & XCR mud) - 630 grams (maxxlites) = 450 grams ~ 1 lb. So that would put it around 24.5- 25 pounds that makes more sense !

mtbr member

nice

very nice, those do look like maxxite tires. you can easily drop some more weight easily (foam grips for starters, that is a cheap 50-80 savings).

what frame size is it? hard to tell, but looks like a small?

how does it ride?

mtbr member
    Its an 18. I re built the wheels with the WTB laser lite hubs rev. 2.0 1.5 spokes, alloy nips,XT cassette, sram holow pin chain, EC70seat post, EC90 h-bar , twin ti eggs ,gobi ti sadel, x9 shifters anr rear derr. maxxlite 310 (race tire only) tires, tubo tubes. I know the scale isnt perfect but is close. The bike is very light. I still need a new stem,brakes (marta Sl) cranks then I will be done. The bike ride great, it goes up like its real light but on the DH is dosent feel scechy at all feels very stable. One of the best race bike iv had and iv had a lot. I have worked at a bike shop for about 20 years and have had over 40 high end bikes so far this is the best XC racer IMO. BTW the stem on it now is a EA50 Easton.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gambo2166
    Its an 18. I re built the wheels with the WTB laser lite hubs rev. 2.0 1.5 spokes, alloy nips,XT cassette, sram holow pin chain, EC70seat post, EC90 h-bar , twin ti eggs ,gobi ti sadel, x9 shifters anr rear derr. maxxlite 310 (race tire only) tires, tubo tubes. I know the scale isnt perfect but is close. The bike is very light. I still need a new stem,brakes (marta Sl) cranks then I will be done. The bike ride great, it goes up like its real light but on the DH is dosent feel scechy at all feels very stable. One of the best race bike iv had and iv had a lot. I have worked at a bike shop for about 20 years and have had over 40 high end bikes so far this is the best XC racer IMO. BTW the stem on it now is a EA50 Easton.

Sorry, I didn't intend to flame you on the scale , with that rim set and your other mods it's closer to being dead on than I was giving you credit for , as far as the supension does it have a firm feel and progressive or is a little softer and linear ?? it looks awesome ! also what are the maxxlite tires like?? I was considering those for a couple of short track courses, would like to know how they work on hardpack and loose over hardpack?

Thanks

mtbr member

Am I being too harsh?

I have always been a big fan of Giant but honestly I am a bit dissapointed with the overall weight of the Anthem. This is the biggest Bike company in the world with the most elite manufacturing techniques and the best buying power and to get the bike under 24-25 pounds you have to put ~300gm tyres on it. Of course the frame components could be upgraded completely to make it ultralite but I can upgrade the wheels and tyres on my Stock FSR 120 comp and get the same weight. So what gives Giant?

I love Pisgah
    More pics please. Good looking bike. I like the color too. I think the weights right on.

Now you've done it...you just caused me to ck for Anthem frames on Ebay. Of course theres ZERO on there. Good. ..must..maintain..control..

"Then I will be done"..Done? Done? Its never done. Keep at it man. As you guys have discussed, theres still some nice weight savings to be had. Gobs could be saved with some lighter cranks (5 bolt compacts are my fav cause you can run a 42-30-20t so you can then run a 11-27t duraace cassette more easily) with a good light BB. Then some Olympic wheels, SLR, ti/alum fasteners, Extralite post, Syntace stem, Stans rotors, bolton skewers, King ti cage, and and..oh..sorrry. I get carried away sometimes..

I had a 21lb 2oz 02 NRS with discs until I made an 18lb.10oz 19" XTC hybrid with the components last summer. Yes thats with Conti Twisters(340-370gms), but I've raced'm prolly 20+ times now, so its all good. Also have 2 NRS(02 18.5" 03 20.5") frame builds with both running from 22lb to 24lb, depending on which wheels, tires, pedals, etc. I just went the HT way. Now I'm eyeing the other direction(more rear compliance) for longer race like 12/24hrs, Pisgah death march, etc.

The Anthem could be gotten into the 21lb range easily with the same stuff I use atm imo.

Again..more pics please.

Thanks,
    Duck
    Last edited by Duckman; 02-17-2006 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm with Duckman on this one- more pictures please!!!

The Anthem is due to hit Australia in the next few weeks, and I know quiet a few people out there ording one or even pre-ordering one. I know I'd probably be one of them; if I wasnt addicted to Titus

Very nice looking bike- so laods of pictures please
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

midnight special

Big Disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tach
    I have always been a big fan of Giant but honestly I am a bit dissapointed with the overall weight of the Anthem. This is the biggest Bike company in the world with the most elite manufacturing techniques and the best buying power and to get the bike under 24-25 pounds you have to put ~300gm tyres on it. Of course the frame components could be upgraded completely to make it ultralite but I can upgrade the wheels and tyres on my Stock FSR 120 comp and get the same weight. So what gives Giant?
    Yep.

The Anthem frame is a whale - and not even stiff.
    I could have gotten one for the wholesale price if I had ridden it for a "Maestro racing team"
    and I declined with thanks. I also don't like the "design" or color at all.

I really hope Giant will some day manage to build a really stiff and light Carbon frame.

midnight special

big disappointment

sorry,
    server malfunction.

Members who have read this thread: 0