Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ultralight front mudguard, only 8.5g !

17K views 59 replies 14 participants last post by  David C 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's my first attempt at making a fork mounted mudguard to keep my cockpit clean and the weight low.

It cut out of a 8.5x11" 10mill synthetic paper sheet that is waterproof, tear proof, stain proof and can be printed too. Just got a good ride on it today with two solid crashes and it survived like nothing happened. It is quite stiff, won't flap around or get packed up, nor bend down. Plus you can throw it in the dishwasher too.

I do not have a proper scale to weight it, but beside using 4 tie-wraps, it's lighter than the sheet of paper it's made from. I'll try to find the exact weight of that sheet at least. Maybe the lightest if it's kind out there ? I know the Mucky Nutz Bender Fender Lite is 16gr, but doesn't offer as much coverage.
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory Automotive tire Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel
Blue Electric blue Cobalt blue Plastic Pipe
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Winter

See less See more
#2 ·
So a quick calculus define the 8.5x11" 10mil. paper sheet to weight at 18.53g (1.21g/cm³ density at 0.010" thickness). Since I used about 75 % of the sheet, that means this is about 13.9g plus zip-ties (4 of them). Considering it has more coverage than the 16g Bender Fender Lite, and cost me less than a dollar in material, plus I can print whatever I want on both sides, this is very interesting.

Custom number/name superlight mudguard for race days anyone ?

#3 ·
That's awesome! ingenuity at it's finest.

You could eliminate the 4 zip-ties. make a tab, appx 1"x3/8" from scrap, Cut 2 slots just under the brake-hose bolt and run the tab down, through the slots, and back up to the existing bolt. The brake arch will maintain the curve. Would probably be weaker than the current mounting for a minimal weight savings.

Either way, I'd buy that for a dollar.

#4 ·
Thanks. Well I'd be happy to simply mail you one, but I'm out of paper xD

You can buy these by pack of 50, but these were samples I got from the Canadian distributor at a graphic design show last year. Then after printing your awesome design (thinking t-rex with laser guns) all you need is a cutting mat, steady hands and a sharp x-acto. I did use a hollow punch instead of a standard paper hole machine to get precise and small holes.

I think the zip-ties are better than just a paper tab, because they allow for a custom fit and also stay in place better if you crash (like I do). Or maybe use only two rubber bands on the lowers and with modern more square arch it should stay in place nicely ?

I have no problem buying a pack of 50, print out whatever turns you on and ship it to North America for $5 a piece though... Postage will cost me $1.50 already, then at least $0.50 each sheet to buy, then factor in the printing cost (takes a lot of ink for a full print), time for each one, etc, and I'm pretty sure people will still find it too expensive... But it's still better priced than any other out there (the cheapest being MarshGuard at $10) and comes with your own graphics (ex: a map of your local trails or best loop times, because yes, you can write on it with a pen just like normal paper and it won't fade away !).

Maybe you could also call the company and request a sample sheet haha

#8 ·
Wait.... I just ran some uber precise calculus from the vector file itself to get the exact area of paper I used and it's 16,6437cm² (not deducting the holes for the ties), which gives me a 7,0361cm³ volume (0,0254cm thickness). Now using the paper density of 1,21g/cm³, I am actually at 8,5136g, so about 8.5g if we deduct the holes for the ties and add the ink weight of the print. So my initial estimation of using roughly 75% of the sheet was way off. I was actually using just under 46% of the material (45,92% to be exact, without holes).

In the end, it's all about the weight/volume ratio of the material used. Since we both used 0.01" thickness, the carbon is quite heavier than this synthetic paper. Although carbon looks cooler haha

So my mudguard is 8.5g without ties and has a 9.4" of overall coverage length with 1.35" forward coverage and above 8" of backward coverage, with a minimal width of 2.82" front coverage and max 4.28" to minimum 3" backward width coverage. That's a big mudguard.

I'll post a technical drawing if anybody is interested into making their own. Let me know.

#9 ·
Wait.... I just ran some uber precise calculus from the vector file itself to get the exact area of paper I used and it's 16,6437cm² (not deducting the holes for the ties), which gives me a 7,0361cm³ volume (0,0254cm thickness). Now using the paper density of 1,21g/cm³, I am actually at 8,5136g, so about 8.5g if we deduct the holes for the ties and add the ink weight of the print. So my initial estimation of using roughly 75% of the sheet was way off. I was actually using just under 46% of the material (45,92% to be exact, without holes)...
We should just buy you a scale. :)

#12 ·
So, after a few months of testing at sub-zero temps and now recently in the easter mud, the mudguard is still good as day one and does quite a decent job.

The North American distributor of the synthetic paper I used is gladly sending me a few more sample sheets in both 10mil and 14mil thickness that should come in 2 days so I can make a thicker mudguard to eliminate the flapping noise issue and also a 23" long sheet so I can make a rear mudguard prototype too. I'm starting to gather the resources and info for a potential run of 300 to 500 mudguards using a die-cut and then print-to-order graphics option.

I'm targeting every application, from road bike to commuter, CX, MTB, racing, etc. You can also cut to fit afterward to shorten the mudguard depending on the down tube clearance. I'm aiming at making the world's lightest mudguard that can fit any bike and is user customizable, at a very low retail price.

Ideally, I would need 2-3 volunteers to test the new 14mil thick mudguard on their bike, either road, CX or MTB. Upon request, I'll print out, cut by hand and mail you the mudguard (within North America) for free, and in return I'll ask you to install it properly and ride the crap out of it for a few weeks and then give back your honest and comprehensive opinion on the product, and also to write me a review and suggestions on possible flaws, modifications, upgrades, etc. Then the mudguard will be yours to keep and if you want, I could make you a brand new revised version, with custom printed and sized design mudguard for a very cheap price to go on your WW bike. Please contact me by PM.

Here's some pictures of my latest rides :

Bicycle frame Tire Blue Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar

Blue Teal Bicycle accessory Aqua Turquoise

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Rim

#16 ·
I started the second generation mudguard blueprints this morning, so far with the thicker 0,014" material and a bit longer forward coverage, the mudguard should come in at 12,08g, not including the zip-ties. The flapping noise shouldn't be a problem anymore with the thicker material. So far I have 3 testers on MTB, and I just posted over RoadBikeReview.com to see if I can get some CX and roadies to help with testing too.

#19 ·
Sure, all kinds of bikes are welcome. PM me and we'll get it going.

I'm still working on the second generation shape, as I've noticed most newer forks have a more square and deeper arch that requires more complex mounting holes to fit all type of bikes without having the user to fiddle with punching more holes. Also I'm trying to refine the design to have the mudguard flex rounder at the back end to prevent flapping over rough terrain. I guess that's something the user should try to achieve when installing the mudguard, but I'd like to make sure it got it down as best as possible before spending the $$$ on a die-cut.

#21 ·
So I'm down to version 2.3 and looks like I'm heading down the right path of stiffness.

You can see how little far the 2.3 version bends at the end, and that's only from a sheet of normal paper. Looks promising :p

Finger Nail Office supplies Writing Thumb

#22 ·
Prototypes of the [dirt]Guard v2.4 are gonna be printed on the 14mil paper Friday morning and should be mailed to the testers over the weekend. I'll post pictures tomorrow and more info on the prototypes.

I'll also setup a webpage on my site to start a R&D fund via donations to be able to buy more prototype material and rent a flatbed cutting printer to cut real prototypes on the fly instead of using standard paper and cutting by hand. I'll post the link later when it's ready, probably not before next week.

Thanks to everyone for their support into this new product !

#26 ·
Installed the prototype on a customer's bike I just finished today at work on my lunch break and it is definitively plenty stiff and installation was quick and easy I'm thinking I could make it even longer to give more coverage for the wagon wheels (29er) since I have about 2" more of available space on the sheet and stiffness isn't an issue anymore. There is no flapping noise at all and is very sturdy. Plenty tire clearance left due to the paper thin material and looks fast too.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle accessory

Automotive tire Tread Engineering Synthetic rubber Machine

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Fender Composite material Kitchen utensil

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.