Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    not really a noob

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! U R All Weight Weenies

stop worring about every miligram, if u r in good shape whats a few pounds on the bike. just ride and have fun
    [SIZE=1]I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD[/SIZE]

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcoe newbie
    stop worring about every miligram, if u r in good shape whats a few pounds on the bike. just ride and have fun
    For those who can't read what he wrote in this post.. or in other posts he's written...

He is trying to say:

Stop worrying about every milligram. If you're in good shape what's a few pounds.

That's almost as bad as saying its not who gets there first, its the journey.

These are things slow people say.

The Gnarchitect Sketch.

Um, I take it you've never done any distance/endurance sports. Sit down and do some calculations, just see how much extra work you're doing carrying just one extra pound over a hundred miles or so. I feel you on the "just ride" thing because people can rip and enjoy biking on a wal-mart bike. but what you said makes absolutely no sense. I'm in worse cardio shape than a lot of these people but probably wouldn't notice the difference of a lb or two just because I'm an awfully big/strong guy. Go back to the DH/FR board dude.

locked - time out
    Stupidity should be painful.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

Troll, Troll, Troll your post....

Gently down the page....

Max
    Velodramatic
    just ride and have fun
    that's what we do! tuning bikes is fun for us. and we do ride our bikes. only a small percentage does actually race

it might disappoint you, but you arent the first one trying to convince us how unnecessary weightsavings are. go to wal-mart, get you a 40 pounds bike and find out yourself how much fun riding that POS can be

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Stupidity should be painful.

hehe. FWIW, i agree.

working on dropping a bit off the AC, eh? what's that thing weigh in at anyhow? i'd be leery of doing what you're doing on it if it were too d@mn light.

i've got my Peyto down to 28# at the moment. 30+ when i throw the pads and dh tires on the thing. it ain't getting lighter without me throwing even more stupid amounts of money at the thing. and i like that i don't break things on it, so lighter on it isn't too likely to happen....... after ripping one frame in half over the summer at keystone, i have no desire to repeat perform.

though i'm happy that the Pike, even with the 20mm hub is still lighter on the front end than my Z-1/QR wheel combo was.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    hehe. FWIW, i agree.

working on dropping a bit off the AC, eh? what's that thing weigh in at anyhow? i'd be leery of doing what you're doing on it if it were too d@mn light.

i've got my Peyto down to 28# at the moment. 30+ when i throw the pads and dh tires on the thing. it ain't getting lighter without me throwing even more stupid amounts of money at the thing. and i like that i don't break things on it, so lighter on it isn't too likely to happen....... after ripping one frame in half over the summer at keystone, i have no desire to repeat perform.

though i'm happy that the Pike, even with the 20mm hub is still lighter on the front end than my Z-1/QR wheel combo was.
    Nah - I actually make a point of not knowing what my AC weighs - since it is my "all around" ride. I just noticed that whatshisface above had posted something here, and morbid curiosity go the best of me.

I had a really light KHS hardtail for a while that I loved - problem was that I was used to riding a Big Hit - and a Cove Stiffee before that. I was afraid that if I rode the thing much longer that it was going to disintegrate from beneath me on a downhill somewhere. I really want to build up another hardtail soon (just traded my PX Pitbull for a Bianchi roadbike) - but I think that I will be looking at something along the lines of the Azonic Steelhead instead of something stupid (for me) light.

nightriding is fun !

... and if we just ...

I think most of us are fit enough, so we start looking at extra stuff to make us quicker and/or enjoy the ride more , or makes us get to where we wanna go without hauling along unnecessary weight. Some here do 100+ rides regularly and speaking for myself I rather do them with a 22 pound bike instead of a 30-pound bike!!

Since you seem to be riding a full year now, why not wait a year or 10 and get some real mileage before you make bold general statements like that ?
    Happy new year anyways
    Titanium or Bust !

Alright, let's ride!
    U R All Weight Weenies
    Why thank ya, thank ya very much! :-D

BTW, what is the point of this post? Does it really affect you what other people do or ride? Personally, I don't ride singlespeeds but I don't go to their board and troll.

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdukeferdinand
    Um, I take it you've never done any distance/endurance sports. Sit down and do some calculations, just see how much extra work you're doing carrying just one extra pound over a hundred miles or so. I feel you on the "just ride" thing because people can rip and enjoy biking on a wal-mart bike. but what you said makes absolutely no sense. I'm in worse cardio shape than a lot of these people but probably wouldn't notice the difference of a lb or two just because I'm an awfully big/strong guy. Go back to the DH/FR board dude.
    i will go back to the dh/fr board. but understand this i have to ride at least 4-5 miles on road/ xc to get to my freeride dh spot so i do have a little say

Max
    Velodramatic
    4-5 miles?!? whoa, do you carry a backpack and tent with you if you cant clear that distance before night is falling?

mtbr member
    i will go back to the dh/fr board. but understand this i have to ride at least 4-5 miles on road/ xc to get to my freeride dh spot so i do have a little say
    dude, your avatar speaks for yourself...

hey
    ho
    lets go!

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    dude, your avatar speaks for yourself...

my lama avatar? or my old one
    Attached Images Attached Images

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    4-5 miles?!? whoa, do you carry a backpack and tent with you if you cant clear that distance before night is falling?
    it still isnt much more but its 4-5 miles one way with a 5 inch travel 35 pound giant warp ds3. and i do carry a camel back

inner peace to make peace

it's not about the bike

I'm not a weight weenie, but it's fun to count grams (if you can afford it).

i count grams (not miligrams). I do not shy away from heavier performance parts (m. mx com fork 4.5#, crmo steel frame 4.5#, time atac xs pedals 380 grams, hope mini mono 375 grams), ti handle bar & seat post and ti rail saddle -- all these i could have gotten lighter swag if i was a real weight weenie. I could drop 3#s more on my bike...but why (?) so i finish climbs few minuits faster and then sacrifice downhill speed and performance..nope. it's about blance and speed... fast is fun.

it's really about (light) bike accessories...

i have:
    handle bar light (Nightrider 15w Halogen)
    helmet light (Niterider 10w H)
    rear light (Planet Earth red lights)
    warmers
    winter riding gloves
    mud guards
    cyclocomputer
    bell
    gore-tex winter jacket
    jersey, vest, baggies or lycra (the kit)
    clip
    ti. frame pump (Berbari)
    steel bottle cages
    saddle bag with spare tube, patches, levers & crank bro multi-tool

i want:
    a HID light (price $300~900)
    heart rate monitor (polor 120)

bike motto: don't upgrade, go up grade
    Last edited by TrailNut; 12-30-2004 at 09:28 AM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

-> SickLines.com <-
    it still isnt much more but its 4-5 miles one way with a 5 inch travel 35 pound giant warp ds3. and i do carry a camel back
    Do you realize how dumb this post is? Do you think at all before posting (or use a spell checker for that matter)...

Different bikes have different purposes. Theres a reason why some DH races have SKI lifts to get their bikes to the top. Because its a race to the bottom of the hill.

If you went into a bike shop and told the sales person you would be doing Cat1/2 racing, and he pointed you towards a 36 pound Giant Warp, imagine how mad you would be when you found out you got the wrong bike.

Each bike has a specific purpose. When linearizing your bike, you tayor it more to your type of riding. When you only have one bike, your bike should be strong enough to withstand the harshest type of riding you do. Do you see these super light weight bikes competing in DH races? I think not.

Comming on a board and making brash generalizations shows how little thought goes into your posts.

Its almost as bad a roadie comming onto a free-ride board saying you should all run rigid forks because its more effecient on the road.

inner peace to make peace
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Do you realize how dumb this post is? Do you think at all before posting (or use a spell checker for that matter)...

Different bikes have different purposes. Theres a reason why some DH races have SKI lifts to get their bikes to the top. Because its a race to the bottom of the hill.

If you went into a bike shop and told the sales person you would be doing Cat1/2 racing, and he pointed you towards a 36 pound Giant Warp, imagine how mad you would be when you found out you got the wrong bike.

Each bike has a specific purpose. When linearizing your bike, you tayor it more to your type of riding. When you only have one bike, your bike should be strong enough to withstand the harshest type of riding you do. Do you see these super light weight bikes competing in DH races? I think not.

Comming on a board and making brash generalizations shows how little thought goes into your posts.

Its almost as bad a roadie comming onto a free-ride board saying you should all run rigid forks because its more effecient on the road.
    mtb_biker makes a lot of sense, but never the less, weighty matter's a never ending issue and even the less than elquoent opening post serves to stir the pot that generates intresting counter posts...like yours
    Last edited by TrailNut; 12-30-2004 at 09:55 AM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

Max
    Velodramatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    Max,
    Are there Wal-Marts in Austria??
    no, cultural imperialism hasnt gone THAT far yet. but i thought you guys might not know what kinda hypermarkets "Hofer" or "Lidl" or "Metro" are take wal-mart as a synonym for huge supermarket selling trash to a wide variety of customers.

side note: even paris hilton didnt know wal-mart, right? and she's supposed to be an american citizen

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    no, cultural imperialism hasnt gone THAT far yet. but i thought you guys might not know what kinda hypermarkets "Hofer" or "Lidl" or "Metro" are take wal-mart as a synonym for huge supermarket selling trash to a wide variety of customers.

side note: even paris hilton didnt know wal-mart, right? and she's supposed to be an american citizen
    you could have said "aldi". there are some all over that whole world (at least i think so; the orange juice is good there... and the apple juice too! and maybe some other stuff! i really like exclamation marks!)

Max
    Velodramatic
    actually hofer IS aldi. they share the same logo, but in AT it's called Hofer happy new year, cu you guys again on 2nd of jan.!

Uhhhhh...
    Trolls make me laugh. Oh and DH/FR people can be weight-weenies too. My V-10 has Ti bolts and i swear i'm going to get it below 40lbs before race season. Thats with 10" of rear travel and 8" up front.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

To legit to quit
    dude you have to be kidding, i have ridden farther than that on my 8.25 inch travel 45 pound giant dh team with a backpack and a full face helmet. i used to have a warp ds1, it's not a hard bike to ride.

banned
    Apr 2004

You will see

Humans are competitive by nature, you are either racing yourself or someone else.
    To go fast and efficent, you and your bike have to be as lean as practical.
    You can say "I'm a soul rider" but ride long enough, sooner or later you will want to know fast.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    With the amount of money you would spend buying a scale to measure in milligrams, you could buy soo many light bike parts!

And I have to say... I have met 1 or 2 Dh'ers before that are even bigger Weight weenies then most of us XC guys...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast