mtbr member

New question here. Trouble picking out a tire!

ok i have narrowed it somewhat down between these tires-

-Continental Twister Supersonic- avg. around 350g
    -Larsen MiMo eXCeption- around 420g
    -Schwalbe Fast Fred Light- around 365g
    -Nokian Boazobeana X- around 420g
    -Kenda Klimax- 337g (but i heard that they are actually very skinny)

Ok these are the conditions that I mostly race/ride in. I live up on the west side of Washington state, and right now its kinda muddy, but it will become more hardpacked. I raced in the WIM series and a lot of the courses were a bit dusty/dry/kinda sand. But know that the races are on the west side, it will mostely be hardpack/loose on top. (mostely loose though)

I really liked the performance of the Michelin Comp s lights but i am looking for a tire that is a little more on the lighter side. Right now i have a larson TT in the rear that has very little tread left and the sidewalls are dieing.. . Up in front I have a brand new Maxxis Ranchero that is a bit beafy for me...and a tad bit on the heavy side. I am trying to sell my 2 slightly used michelin comp s light tubless tires and my 2 brand new rachero eXCeption series tires, to get 2 of the above tires.

Also i am interested in getting some lighter tubes for my tires,. I am not interested in going to tubless, so i need some light tubes. But on the other hand, i talked to a couple of people and they said that the lighter tubes puncture really easy and flat all the time.

So any advice on this stuff would be greatlly appreciative!
    thanks in advance,
    andy
    JF2 Racing!

mtbr member

please guys, need some help!

i have seen a ton of bikes on light-bikes with these tires and some of the bikes have to be yours....so if you could just leave some feedback on the tires......please

thanks,
    andy
    JF2 Racing!

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    the only tire there that i have ridden is the mimo, and it was a normal one. it was a good tire, worked well in mud and had solid grip while climbing, but it wore out FAST, and that wasnt even the exception version. i would count that tire out as a training tire because theyre so expensive and so fast wearing
    (8) climb hard or never be seen (8)

No longer 26

Good job! Maybe Fast Fred Rear Racing Ralph Front?

Quote Originally Posted by I Like Bikes

Ok these are the conditions that I mostly race/ride in. I live up on the west side of Washington state, and right now its kinda muddy, but it will become more hardpacked. I raced in the WIM series and a lot of the courses were a bit dusty/dry/kinda sand. But know that the races are on the west side, it will mostely be hardpack/loose on top. (mostely loose though)

I really liked the performance of the Michelin Comp s lights but i am looking for a tire that is a little more on the lighter side. Right now i have a larson TT in the rear that has very little tread left and the sidewalls are dieing.. . Up in front I have a brand new Maxxis Ranchero that is a bit beafy for me...and a tad bit on the heavy side. I am trying to sell my 2 slightly used michelin comp s light tubless tires and my 2 brand new rachero eXCeption series tires, to get 2 of the above tires.

Also i am interested in getting some lighter tubes for my tires,. I am not interested in going to tubless, so i need some light tubes. But on the other hand, i talked to a couple of people and they said that the lighter tubes puncture really easy and flat all the time.

thanks in advance,
    andy
    I know you are looking primarily at weight but depending on conditions I may even recommend the racing ralphs front and rear. Just as fast rolling with a bit more tread. Go with the wider tires and even more traction and no change in rolling resisitance. Maybe even faster actually from what I have seen.
    For this reason I went with a RR 2.25 rear and RR 2.4 front. Great in sandy over hardpack conditions and excels where there is deeper sand.

Cheers,
    Greg

mtbr member&ham operator
    Jul 2004
    I do not use any of your shortlisted tyres but I do use lightweight tubes aka Maxxis Flyweight at about 100g IIANM.

To date the lightweight tubes are good but when I used Maxxis Flyweight 330 tyres which weigh only 330g, I suffered many punctures due to the low tread height and the soft casing.

I am currently using Continental Explorer Supersonic's at about 470g and combined with the Maxxis Flyweight tubes, they have given me good service.

My 0.02 cents worth mate.

Cheerio!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Check your post on the wheel/tire board.

BTW when did Spokane move to NW Washington?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

hooked on quack
    I ran Twister SS's for 6-7 races this past season(Sport class) with zero probs using Stans with UST rims. The other races were on both 2.1 and 2.25 RRalphs, and Python Airlights. I've tried 2.0 UST Freds but its a hardpack tire only. That means no loose stuff. None..nada. The Twisters still give decent service in such. I race in the SE US.

mtbr member

lol

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Check your post on the wheel/tire board.

BTW when did Spokane move to NW Washington?
    i meant in the nw. of the states, and E washington...sorry!

thanks for the replies guys! lots of help
    JF2 Racing!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

SS tires....

Have used Twister Pro Supersonics once in a race and double flatted with them. I will NEVER use them again. Also, I have not had alot of luck with light-weight butyl tubes. If you want to do well in your races you must first FINISH THEM! I learned the hard way and ended up loosing the Provincial title here in Ontario due to this. On the other hand I highly recommend Nokian NBX Lites (around 450grams and great rolling and cornering characteristics) along with MICHELIN Air Comp Latex tubes (125grams). The tubes have never let me down in a race (have never pinch flatted with them) and roll better then a butyl tube. Or you can go with the Stans or Eclipse kits (personally, I change my tires frequently and can't stand the mess).

jrm
    mtbr member

Just one set of tires aint gonna cut it..

Quote Originally Posted by I Like Bikes

thanks in advance,
    andy
    The coarse dictates the tire. You should think of using different combos of tires given the coarse conditions. The weight of a tire doesnt mean shlt if you cant get traction...period..

mtbr member
    i know.....but i am riding courses that have pretty much the same conditions...unless its raining. therefore i only want 1 pair of tires...plus just some muddys...but anyother suggestions?
    thanks,
    andy
    JF2 Racing!

mtbr member

ok..

ok i just got an idea from a friend...has anyone heard of the tire...panaracer speedblaster race lite?? it weighs about 420g for the 1.95"

anybody using this tire...or have any comments on it?
    JF2 Racing!

mtbr member
    I'm using Maxxis Minatour 380s (380grams). I ride hard pack with some sand on top. I have not had any flats to date (about 350 miles) and they are pretty cheap on ebay. Not sure if Maxxis still manufactures them though.