bike rider

Total Steel Bolt Weight

Has anybody weighed all the replaceable steel bolts on their bike before replacing them with Ti and aluminum? Not counting pedal spindles and stuff, just the bolts we all replace. How much steel bolt weight was in your bike and how much less did the replacement bolts weigh? Mention what type of bike it was as a 3 ring FS bike has more than a singlespeed rigid.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I've weighed them as i've replaced them. Probably saved about 20g overall, which for the amount it costs, is pretty bad g/.

I personally wouldn't buy another ti bolt. I find they round off far too easily for my liking and are way too expensive for what they are.

Things in no/low stress areas like the bottle cage bolts, shifter bolts and cable tension bolts i've replaced with alu. I'd do this again as these aren't as expensive (and look better ) and i've had no rounding off issues with these.

ups and downs
    I started with about 78gms in bolts on 3x9 hardtail and between alloy and Ti bolts shaved off 40gm for about $3/gm. Not what you'd call cost effective. But the alloy bolts sure look nice.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

bike rider
    Damn, I was guessing 200+ grams in steel bolts and a 100 gram savings. You did every bolt that's somewhat standard and easy to find a replacement for?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I did the 6 on my stem, 8 per caliper and 6 per rotor in ti. Did bottle cage, front mech, brake levers, shifters and cable tension bolts in alu. All ti ones are now steel again.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Damn, I was guessing 200+ grams in steel bolts and a 100 gram savings. You did every bolt that's somewhat standard and easy to find a replacement for?
    Yep, that was with 6 bolt rotors too
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I want to do this for appearance reasons, how do I go about ordering the right sizes?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Like has been said, use aluminum where you can because they are lighter, cheaper, and look cool in colors. Ti are expensive, but I have had no problems rounding them off. The stem top cap bolt is one of the longest bolts on the bike and you can shorten it up and use aluminum. The brake mount bolts are also a big weight saver, but you should use Ti. I saved about 30g total on my Hope brakes using a combination of Ti and Al. The steel bolts on full suspension frames are also some of the heaviest bolts. I changed the pan head bolts on my Turner to Ti and saved a couple more ounces. Overall, I think I saved about 120g doing everything except the stem (I had issues with Ti bolts in the stem many years ago and it scared the heck out of me). Check out torontocycles.com because they give many weights so that you can determine what you want to replace. Just take the bolt out and measure the width and length of the threads to figure out what you need.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi, I basically replaced all standard steel bolts for Ti and Alu (about 40 bolts) and lost over 135g.