mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Torn Sidewall on NBX Light, any other suggestions?

Tonight I tore the sidewall on my second NBX lite. Was just going around a turn and poof, big hole in the tire. I have some new ones but am a little hesitant to put them on. However, I have some Python air lites and the sidewall on these seems to be much thinner than the NBx lite but I've had no problems with them. Has anyone had any issues with their pythons tearing? Any other suggestions for a good general purpose race tire in a 2.0 size?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hmmm...trade you brand new Python for 2 Nokians...deal?

Well, since you are hesitant to use your two other Nokians, I'll help you salvage something out of the deal.....
    I'll send you one brand new Python Air Light and you send me the two "dangerous" Nokians.....OK? :-) Just trying to help.....

BTW, I've never cut a sidewall so far on my Nokians. I like them. I've never even flatted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have had 2 sidewall tears

Using NBX lites this season. I have had about the same luck with Python Air lites, Specialized Roll-x Pros, and every other stans tubeless set-up tires I have used. I don't think the Nokians are any better or worse than the others in this department, it is just that the Stans/Eclipse thing is prone to sidewall tears. If you are really annoyed by it you can switch to UST tires that have a better sidewall, but they are heavier too. If you want I'll buy the NBX's from ya.

mtbr member

Kenda Karmas are another good choice..

I just did a race and they worked great with just the mold builder latex and my Crossmax USTs. These tires hold air very well. They are also large volume compared to the Nokian lites to give you extra "air" protection - all at a great 456-458gm weight.

The Sept. MBAction gave 5 stars to its rolling efficency and good reviews in the other categories. Despite tech data presented in the past here, the Nokian lites did not fare as well in the same comparison.

I'm sure the NBX lite is a good tire, but I'm up near, but under !, 200lbs and the NBX Lite would be too small a tire for me.

SUBLIM8er
    I developed a tear in my NBX Lite as well, ditched it and went with a Conti Explorer Supersonic. I couldn't be happier. No problems with flats or burping and I didn't give up a gram.