6x7=Dont Panic!

Titanium aftermarket spindle for bebop pedals?

I bought a set of stainless bebop pedals and want to upgrade to titanium axles. The stock titanium pedal is ridiculously $$$ and not much lighter. Anyone have a lead on a source of reliable titanium spindles? Any other tuning tips for these pedals? I weigh about 180-185 lbs with gear if that makes a difference. Thanks for your time and input.
    Herro prease

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Ok be reasonable... sacrificing the no-rider weight limit to save the 20 grams on Bebops?!

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Dude, I respect and appreciate your knowledge of bicycles; especially vintage mountain bikes and obscure yet practical and affordable components. I do not appreciate your useless comment on my post. It is a waste of my time to read your bullshit response that in no way helps me or the collective bicycle community. To be honest the reason that I want to upgrade the spindles is for looks. I like the look of a spindle that is screwed in from behind the crank arm rather than one that is mounted with a wrench from the front. Silly? Of course it is. Will is save weight? Yes it will. Do I care how much it costs? Like most people on here, no I do not. Much of the time people here don't care about practicality. You have been a member of this forum for a long time, you should know this. Thanks for your attempt to fix my problem but please think before you post.
    Herro prease

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    ebay, 65$ 60g less

best mtb pedals ever, even better than speedplay frogs. cheers!

D8 is silly; still at mummy's basement?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'd check with Ward Titanium Spindles. They make spindles for many pedal systems, not all of which are listed on the website. The spindles are available if different lengths and with the choice of hex wrench or wrench flat attachment. Give them a call. Home Page

Edited to add: I am not assocated with the company but am a satisfied customer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wow those are much more affordable than I would've thought.....

Quote Originally Posted by MaLoL View Post
    ebay, 65$ 60g less

best mtb pedals ever, even better than speedplay frogs. cheers!

D8 is silly; still at mummy's basement?
    Nice to know there are morons still believed that lie. As to the 60g saving on Bebops... that's based on replacing the CrMo version spindles, which are the heaviest models. The stainless models are already 15g lighter than the CrMo spindle version.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Nice to know there are morons still believed that lie. As to the 60g saving on Bebops... that's based on replacing the CrMo version spindles, which are the heaviest models. The stainless models are already 15g lighter than the CrMo spindle version.
    well, then it will be just 45g. I apologise for my error and i apreciate the correction.

I see sometimes people still living on basements have nice imput. great!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Nice to know there are morons still believed that lie.
    that was no lie

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I have been on Ward spindles for over 6 months. More than stiff enough for my 175lbs w/o gear. I will post a longer term review after a year of use. I recommend using threadlocker when installing these.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Or, better than thread"locker" would be anti seize for titanium, such as Finish Line's Ti Prep.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Im curious what aftermarket spindle makes the Bebop a good MTB pedal. That pedal has serious deficiencies as a trail pedal, though as a scale pedal it's pretty good.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    Im curious what aftermarket spindle makes the Bebop a good MTB pedal. That pedal has serious deficiencies as a trail pedal, though as a scale pedal it's pretty good.
    Have you ever ridden them? I imagine you have and opinions are subjective and blah blah blah, but what specifically do you dislike in them? When you say a trail pedal what do you mean by that? These pedals are for cross country use dude, remember that. I have ridden them extensively and really like them more than any shimano pedal I have tried (the gold standard). For more hardcore riding ill stick with my platforms.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have been riding these pedals for more than 10 years and these spindles for over a year. Pedals can be like saddles in that it is more personal preference. You don't like 'em, don't ride 'em.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra View Post
    Have you ever ridden them? I imagine you have and opinions are subjective and blah blah blah, but what specifically do you dislike in them? When you say a trail pedal what do you mean by that? These pedals are for cross country use dude, remember that. I have ridden them extensively and really like them more than any shimano pedal I have tried (the gold standard). For more hardcore riding ill stick with my platforms.
    Yes, I road them exclusively on both road and MTB for over 4 months. I have no idea why you say they are for "cross country" or even how that's different from trail riding. Bebops weren't created for MTB.

There are several problems with Bebops for trail riding. First and most obvious is that they aren't very tolerant of dirt or mud nor were they created to be. Second, their release angle is great and makes releasing in an emergency challenging. Third, the cleat is large and flexible making it sensitive to the curvature of the sole and vulnerable to damage from hiking (which goes back to them not being intended for MTB). Once the cleat fatigues or is bent engagement and disengagement is a crapshoot. I read recently that cleats now include a curved shim to help address this. Bebops are too sensitive to the curvature of the shoe; if your shoe is flat then you may never encounter the problems I did.

On the plus side, they are lightweight, simple, have a really solid feel and are great to step into as long as the cleats are good. All three sets of my pedals creaked relentlessly, though, and the bolts that hold pedal together like to back out.

If release was trustworthy and remained that way, I think the Bebop would be a good pedal for dry conditions. Unfortuntately, that's not my experience. I loved them as road pedals but want only one system, so as santacruzflyer says, I don't ride 'em. I don't need someone to tell me not to use what doesn't work.

I tried the Bebops after using SPD forever, and after abandoning the Bebop I no longer found SPDs comfortable. I tried CB again but couldn't accept the pedal strike ejections. I am now using ATACs; I like the feel of Bebops better but can't accept the unreliable release. If they would fix the sensitivity to the sole curvature and, even better, offer a means of reducing the release angle, I would try them again. I'm hoping the SYZR is better.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Hey Craig, thanks for the reply. I honestly have little experience with these pedals in the mud so I cannot argue. Release has never been a problem for me. I also have not had any problems with my cleats bending or premature wear. Sorry the pedals don't work for you. After riding singlespeed for 7 years the float is nice on my knees. I love them on my road and xc bikes. It's just too bad vp-one only offers those ghey yellow caps, I really like the red ones better.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra View Post
    Hey Craig, thanks for the reply. I honestly have little experience with these pedals in the mud so I cannot argue. Release has never been a problem for me. I also have not had any problems with my cleats bending or premature wear. Sorry the pedals don't work for you. After riding singlespeed for 7 years the float is nice on my knees. I love them on my road and xc bikes. It's just too bad vp-one only offers those ghey yellow caps, I really like the red ones better.
    No need for homophobic remarks. You could probably paint those caps.

Release was not a problem for me either when my cleats were new. A little too much angle but I could manage. As the cleats wore I found they would never release when it was important. Clearly that's fixable but I don't think BP is spending money on it. I don't ride in mud, either, but some do.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    Yes, I road them exclusively on both road and MTB for over 4 months. I have no idea why you say they are for "cross country" or even how that's different from trail riding. Bebops weren't created for MTB.

Is that why they say "road light mountain tough" right on the box?

Four months...yeah that's soo much experience compared to those of us who used Bebops for mtb riding for ten plus years....
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Paper or plastic?
    Any feedback on Ward industries Ti spindle in general? The old thread was closed a couple years back.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Been hammerin' these for a couple years now. I was the one that got the ball rolling on these things by sending a spindle to Ward Ind and putting in an order for seven sets. I have run these on my XC and my singlespeed with zero problems.

Paper or plastic?
    Thanks, good to know.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've been using Ward ti spindels on my mountain bike and cyclocross bike pedals for years. They've taken a pounding and are no worse for wear.