mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Tires for Nationals

I know this isn't a true WW post but I thought that I'd ask here because it seems like you guys/gals might know. I am going to the U.S. MTB Nationals in September and would like to ask everyone of their opinion on tires for the XC race couse at Mammoth Mountain. I dont want to go ultra-lite (<400g) because I don't want to run a huge risk of tearing the side wall. Also, if anyone has any info on the race course that would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea, I also run Stan's.

Scott

Out riding my Scalpel
    Quote Originally Posted by stewy
    I know this isn't a true WW post but I thought that I'd ask here because it seems like you guys/gals might know. I am going to the U.S. MTB Nationals in September and would like to ask everyone of their opinion on tires for the XC race couse at Mammoth Mountain. I dont want to go ultra-lite (<400g) because I don't want to run a huge risk of tearing the side wall. Also, if anyone has any info on the race course that would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea, I also run Stan's.

Scott
    I'm not sure what tires to use. I just know the conditions at Mammoth do get very dry during the summer months, if there's no rain. I would recommend a light tire with good traction. Make sure you break in new tires before hitting any trail. I raced there back in 93, 94 and 95. I used IRC Mythos tube tires. If I was to race there again I'd go with a very good XC tire for sure. The climb I did back then was long and you need great traction. I remember a great course they had. It was long but fun. IRC are good tires, I've had great luck with them IMO!

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by stewy

Scott
    I don't know exactly what course the track takes, but my Kenda Karma DTC's did really well there in late July. They also run well tubeless.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......