Thread: Tire weights

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Tire weights

Anyone out ther have any issues with advertised vs. actual tire weights? I recently purchased a Maxxis Ignitor EXO 29er tire from an online retailer-advertised at 595 g (which is stated on the Maxxis website). Came in at 670g. I called Maxxis on it and they said to return it directly to them, so I did. They reported to me that the tire was "defective" and would send me a new one when the new batch came in from Taiwan. Got it today and it weighed in at 650g-a little better but not still not 595 g. Customer service person was attentive but still don't think this is right. I suggested they update their website.
    Is this typical of tires? I have heard they can fluctuate- but that seems too much to me. It was recommend to me by a fellow rider to buy from a bike shop and weigh the tire before purchasing, so that is what I'm going to do.
    Also had a weight issue with a WTB saddle. Advertised at 205 g came in at 240. They are currently weighing the saddles in their office for me, to give me an idea of what the actual weights are for higher end MTB saddles. They say they are made in 2 diff ffctories so weights can fluctuate.

ups and downs
    15-20% weight variation is not that unusual in the mass produced tires. Kenda's weight spec's included variations, for instance a Nevegal 29x2.20 DTC is spec'd at 833+/-42gms

Conti's Handmade in Germany Supersonic, RaceSport, Protection versions tend to be tighter, but 10% variation is still typical
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Maxxis Ikon 29x2.2 3C EXC EXO Protection tires

Claimed weight: 580g

Actual weight: ~640g (without packaging)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post

640! You could run a Nobby Nic and get better traction for the that weight.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Been running Schwalbe's but Specialized S works tires caught my eye now, they're under 500gr

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The most recent specialized tubeless tires often come in under claimed weight. If not too rocky an S Works for the front is great (especially with their FEA tread) but I avoid S Works in the back.
    To the OP, is your WTB a Devo? I have the ti rail model and it was 215g, just a bit over claimed. Paid about $85. Then found chromoly rail version, paid $45, and it weighs 235 grams. Much better deal!
    Last edited by westin; 10-26-2012 at 06:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    As Rocky had mentioned, the German made RK supersonics are usually under weight. I've had 4 of the 2.2 version & they were all between 445 to 454 grams. Claimed is 480 grams. I've had 2 of the same in 2.0 & they were both under as well.Claimed on those is 430 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire weights-img_2192_1.jpg  

Tire weights-img_2190_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post

Found the exact same thing to be true. I bought my Ikon's with the thought that they'd still be atleast 600g.... NOPE! One was 623g and the other was 635. Pretty disappointed by this. I understand "some" lieway, but 580 is just a down right LIE.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

WTB saddle

The saddle I bought and then returned is a Silverado Team with ti rails. Adv at 205 came in at 240. The Pro version is adv at 240g. So if the pro version comes in around that weight I just spent an extra $40 for nothing! That's what I explained to wtb cust service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ditto: bought 'em, weighed 'em, chased Maxxis a few times and eventually got this from their local agent

"The Maxxis Ikon [UST Tyre EXC/3C/EXO (29 x 2.20)] was a 580 grams,but it was decided to beef up the sidewalls and now the new weight of this tyre is around the 640 gram weight."

So why won't Maxxis be honest about this in the first place and publish this weight? Because it turns a best selling top end race tyre into just an average jo? I have a real problem with any company that treats it's customers with such disdane - what else are they lying about ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The same for Schwalbe Rocket Rons Performance series. Claimed 435g, but I received ~550g.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've owned 3 Maxxis Icon Tires (2.20 x 29), the 2 OEM's that came on my Kona weighed in at 620gm each but the one I got from Performance is only 560gm. These are not the EXO model but Performance says they should actually be slightly heavier (5gm). I usually run a Schwallbe RaRa/RoRo combo and I've had as much as an 85gm variance on identical tires with that brand. I guess if you have the option it's best to weigh tires before you purchase them.
    Mole

Big Boy
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Sorry for the crappy photo (i mistakingly deleted the in-focus one and kept the dodgy one ), but Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1 Evo - claimed 435g, fluctuated between 465/466g: