mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Ti threaded steerer vs steel threadless? Help me choose...

I have a 1" titanium threaded steerer tube, and I'm wondering if the weight savings would make it worth replacing the steel threadless steerer tube on my shock fork.

The fork is a Marzocchi Z1-CR on my Bontrager Race Light, which has a 1" head tube (the frame's only weakness). I am currently using a 1" steel steerer tube and crown from an older Z2 Atom Bomb (the Z1-CR was only available with a 1.125" steerer).

I'm looking at the Profile Design Boa or Origin 8 Pro Fit quill stems, each would add around 100 grams to my current stem setup. Are there lighter options, like a lightweight adapter for threadless stems?

Although I'm sure I'll save more than 100 grams from the steerer tube change, what are the drawbacks? Would a threaded steerer be less reliable? Would I have to carry a cone wrench of the right size in case I had to make trail-side adjustments? If I get a good threaded headset (Chris King, Cane Creek) can I expect similar stellar performance like my current Cane Creek 110 threadless? My only experiences using threaded headsets here with low-quality off-brand headsets.

I have two crowns available for this, one with a bolt-on steerer from 1998 and one is a new old-stock crown from around 2000 that requires the steerer tube to be cryo-treated and pressed (the steerer is frozen with liquid nitrogen and the crown is baked before pressing). Does anyone know if titanium shrinks sufficiently for this to work? One way or another, I can make the Ti steerer work, but should I?

ups and downs
    Why not talk to a frame builder that works with Ti to see about getting a Ti threadless steer tube made for your application? Then you can end up with the lightest combo.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada