Nov 2004

ti hardtails

Who makes the nicest ti hardtails?
    I am considering a new ti hardtail and my important factors are:
    lightweight
    ability to do custom- custom geometry and tire clearance
    probably butted tubing
    ride quality
    Are people getting hardtails for 100mm forks these days?

(aka SS_MB-7)
    I've always been partial to the guys-n-gals at Seven. I've got a few Seven Ti bikes (MTB, road, and cross) and recently had to sell my first (Seven Ti Sola) in order to offset the cost of my Ti Racer-X 100. Without a doubt, consider a custom Ti Sola...they are gorgeous! You name it, they'll make it.

But, another Ti builder I've always loved is Moots. Those welds, the finish....droool!

And, don't forget about Titus. They'll whip you up a nice, custom Ti FCR. In looking at my Ti RX-100, the quality is on par with Seven.

You really can't go wrong with either of these guys.

With regards to the travel you should design your frame around...you really need to evaluate the type of rider you are, the trails you ride on, etc. My '98 Seven Ti Sola was designed around a 63mm SID. My '00 Seven Ti Verve SS was designed around a slightly longer travel fork.

If I was to buy another Ti HT, I would seriously consider a 100mm...I've been having a blast with my RX-100s F100X and, since my tastes are steering away from traditional XC races where fork travel is less than 80mm, that is, I'm doing my enduros, solo 24 hrs, etc., where a little more travel isn't a bad thing.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I really like my Independent Fabrications. My bike and and bunch of other examples can be seen here:

http://www.ifrider.com/register/00192a.jpg

Butted, custom, single speed, you name it. I really like the look of the shot peened finish IF uses, it's different. Depending on the light it can look really silver to almost white in sunlight and kinda industrial/matt in overcast. When it gets dusty, it's this cool gold color. Lot's of paint options too - check out Eric Roman's pink SS:

http://www.ifrider.com/register/00091a.jpg

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the great US Ti builders; IF, Seven, Moots, etc.

If site at: www.ifbikes.com

Eric.

also check out Jim Kish www.kishbike.com
    Kish has been in the bike frame industry since the early 90's and teaches Ti frame building classes at the United Bicycle Institute. Many that work in the bike frame industry have heard his name b/c he has taught them something, and he has been around for a pretty long time. He is often called to work with other bike companys to help troubleshoot problems/issues they are having to deal with. His custom frames cost less than a Moots, Seven and IF because he isn't as widely know as those big names I just mentioned.

nightriding is fun !
    Titanium or Bust !

Have u seen these brakes?

Nicest Ti bike...

The nicest titanium bikes (cost no option) are older Merlins (when the crew at Seven still worked there) and any Seven frame. Moots frames are real nice too, if I were to get a softie, I'd definitely get the YBB. The nice thing about titanium is that under most circumstances the frame will last a lifetime. You can usually get a frame or complete bike on e-bay for 1/2 to 1/4 the price of a new one. I've bought and sold 3 Merlins this way myself.

inner peace to make peace

Moots or Seven

Quote Originally Posted by bootsie_cat
    Who makes the nicest ti hardtails?
    I am considering a new ti hardtail and my important factors are:
    lightweight
    ability to do custom- custom geometry and tire clearance
    probably butted tubing
    ride quality
    Are people getting hardtails for 100mm forks these days?
    i have 100mm on my steel hardtail, considering an AM1 13mm to 150mm

Moots or Seven Cycles

on a tight budget: Haberano

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Try Strong Frames

I've had a custom Ti frame from Carl Strong for almost a year now and its a fantastic ride. Carl is excellent to deal with and offers a full custom service. Have a look at his web site http://www.strongframes.com and check the design and fab section and take a tour of what goes into each of his frames.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli-Ti
    The nicest titanium bikes (cost no option) are older Merlins (when the crew at Seven still worked there) and any Seven frame. Moots frames are real nice too, if I were to get a softie, I'd definitely get the YBB. The nice thing about titanium is that under most circumstances the frame will last a lifetime. You can usually get a frame or complete bike on e-bay for 1/2 to 1/4 the price of a new one. I've bought and sold 3 Merlins this way myself.
    In addition to my IF, I have a Merlin Ti Agilis (Ebay demo bike) and absolutely love that frame. If I ever need another road bike I'd go w/ Tom Kellog's custom shop, 'Spectrum' built by the guys at Merlin. The guys that started the Ti buisness at IF are former Merlin employees / welders as well...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

ti frame

I am pretty sure that I am going to get a Ti IF like you.
    Did you go for their yo eddy like geometry or specify your own?
    It seems like I would need a thomson no offset post and also make the top tube way longer for a 72 degree bike.
    I am also not sold on the 71.5 head angle. I had a Moots with a 71.4 head and it seemed pretty squirrly on a fast fire road.

Quote Originally Posted by IFrider1
    In addition to my IF, I have a Merlin Ti Agilis (Ebay demo bike) and absolutely love that frame. If I ever need another road bike I'd go w/ Tom Kellog's custom shop, 'Spectrum' built by the guys at Merlin. The guys that started the Ti buisness at IF are former Merlin employees / welders as well...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Norco Team Ti, which probably doesn't compare at all to the likes of Seven and so on. Here's a question for you other Ti riders out there - does your bike have a replaceable derailler hanger? I notice that Strong does, but mine doesn't.

I had never bent my hanger until this year (after 3 years of racing on it) but I got a shop here to bend it back (although he was wary at first about the proper protocol with ti frames). What's the deal?

nightriding is fun !
    Replaceable derailleur hangers : Some do , some don't .. Since titanium is rather strong it won't bend as easily and when it does it can be bend back. So it really is not necessary to have one to save the frame.
    My Moots has one, my Litespeed and Hilset don't..
    Titanium or Bust !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am pretty sure that I am going to get a Ti IF like you.
    Did you go for their yo eddy like geometry or specify your own?
    It seems like I would need a thomson no offset post and also make the top tube way longer for a 72 degree bike.
    I am also not sold on the 71.5 head angle. I had a Moots with a 71.4 head and it seemed pretty squirrly on a fast fire road.
    All of IF's bikes are custom. They don't do any 'off-the-peg' any more. I pretty much new what I wanted from my previous bikes. I designed (I have access to CAD) my IF to have roughly the same reach as my previous bike - I need a long TT. However, I shortened up the wheelbase (71.5 headtube) and tweaked the seatube angle to get it smack dab in the middle of my rails. Here in MI I wanted something that excelled in the tight-twisty stuff but, still let me stretch out and crank in rolling race courses. I went through the IF fit process to see what they'd come up with; fitting, interview (likes dislikes / riding style), etc. They came up with the exact same numbers so, I was pretty confident in them....

IF will design the bike around your desired fork. Not just axle to crown but, taking into account sag. Depending on how your Moots was designed and for what fork / sag this could account for your prob with the handling. Get it measured up to determine what the true heatube angle is w/ sag.

The guys at IF are great. Matt Bracken (former Merlin) will usually answer the phone and talk your ear off with any questions you have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

ti frames

Thanks for the info, I am getting an IF for sure.
    I know that you went full custom, did you go with their Fat Chance style 72.0 degree seat tube or something steeper?
    I know my saddle setback and reach needs, but I am not sure if I want to do a 72.0 seat angle with a no setback thompson post or the usual 73.5 that my favorite and best fitting road bike has. If I do the 72.0 the top tube will need to be significantly longer to compensate.
    As far as head angle, I am comfortable with 71.0, but I would entertain the 71.5 if IF can convince me that the bike will not be twitchy on a fast fire road decent.
    THanks again for all the info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the info, I am getting an IF for sure.
    I know that you went full custom, did you go with their Fat Chance style 72.0 degree seat tube or something steeper?
    I know my saddle setback and reach needs, but I am not sure if I want to do a 72.0 seat angle with a no setback thompson post or the usual 73.5 that my favorite and best fitting road bike has. If I do the 72.0 the top tube will need to be significantly longer to compensate.
    As far as head angle, I am comfortable with 71.0, but I would entertain the 71.5 if IF can convince me that the bike will not be twitchy on a fast fire road decent.
    THanks again for all the info.
    My seat tube angle works out to be 72.5 with a Easton carbon post - 1.5" setback. I've got long femur bones compared to leg length. I'd have your favorite seatpost picked to help figure the numbers out. I'd used Easton in the past and was comfortable with them. I find I run about 4mm further back than my perfect roadbike set-up. Best thing to do is find a qualified fitter you trust but, it's good to have your own experience of what you want.

For your riding IF may think 71.0 head tube is better. Here in MI we don't usually have anything long enough to get over 28+mph regularily.

Make sure you clearly indicate your priorities to them: weight - stiffness? I wanted my BB stiff for short steep climbs and the chainstay for the disc side is stiffer. I probably could have gotten the weight lower if I went a little softer. As pictured, it builds up a 20.7 lb disc hardtail for a bigger frame. Mine is 17.5 c-c seatube 23.6 t-t.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

IF Rider

I saw your bike on the IF rider site. Very nice, nicely proportioned as well.
    What is you saddle height on that bike?
    Did you go with the stock 10.0cm head tube?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I saw your bike on the IF rider site. Very nice, nicely proportioned as well.
    What is you saddle height on that bike?
    Did you go with the stock 10.0cm head tube?
    Thanks. My saddle height is 76.0 cm and head tube is 11.0 cm. That puts me about 4.5 - 5 cm of saddle to bar drop with a RaceFace low riser bar. A nice low TT and tight geometry - the bike rocks in tight stuff. Can't wait till spring again - it's 5 deg F here today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Ti frames

I took the plunge on an IF ti. Should be here in about 4-5 weeks.

now known as P.I.-SSer
    Dec 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

if i had a choice (not like I will be coming across this sort of ca$h anytime soon), I'd get a Jones.

http://jonesbikes.com/buyajones/processall.asp

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Jonesbikes

Jeff Jones makes a nice bike. I also like that he rides them and experiments with design.
    (I have a set of his h-bars that I may use at some point in time.)
    However, I cannot wait 1 year for a frame- my attention span will not allow it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    best bike if you ask me http://www.snakebike.com/snake/blog/new.html
    so nice bikes, best weld i ever seen, and you can get it as you want. for example for Cannondale Fatty fork.

now known as P.I.-SSer
    Dec 2004
    have to agree with you regarding the 1 year wait...the anticipation will probably kill me as well!

have you checked out Habanero cycles?

www.habcycles.com

nightriding is fun !
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltazar
    best bike if you ask me http://www.snakebike.com/snake/blog/new.html
    so nice bikes, best weld i ever seen, and you can get it as you want. for example for Cannondale Fatty fork.
    Do you have a close up pic from those welds?
    From what I see on the site, it looks like their frames are made by Tilon.
    And those welds are far from IF , Kish or Moots quality. But I can only judge from the few lo-res pics on the site, so surprise me with hi-res stuff from SnakeBike frames.
    Titanium or Bust !

Is my rear tire flat?
    Well, you can spend a lot of money, or not so much money. I have owned a Litespeed and also now own an www.epicti.com hardtail. I love the Epic Synergy and they geometry they used to build it. It has a long top tube, short stays and awespme welds. This bike climbs better than any other bikes I have had and also descends well with the long sloping top tube. I paid $995.00, or you can also spend $2K to 5K for a frame too.
    DLB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg ss.jpg (132.2 KB, 1495 views)
    Now residing 5 miles from the Idaho WA border in life lovely Liberty Lake.

A wheelist
    Those numbers mean nothing unless you know what length of a fork that frame was designed for. My 7 has a 72 degree head angle and the last word I'd use to describe the steering is "squirrly". And I ride almost nothing BUT fire roads. It's absolutely perfect.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast