mtbr member

Ti Allen Wrenches?

I was doing some searching and found a medical supply house that carries Ti allen wrenches. I guess Ti is less likely to cause irritations so it is better than steel for medical purposes.

They have some combination wrenches like a 5 and 6 mm end on one wrench. My 5mm steel allen weighs 16 g (if memory serves me correctly) so I guess I could save about 8 grams by using a Ti one. Getting a combination wrench would save more because I can take one wrench instead of 2. I have a Ritchey CPR14 but I always carry a 5mm allen as well.

Soooooo, has anyone used Ti allen wrenches? Are they as reliable as steel, or am I going to round off my ti skewers and or Al bolts if I have to do a trailside repair? Is it worth it? My camelbak + tubes and tools - bladder weighs 800g so maybe the 8g isn't going to hurt anything....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaybee
    I was doing some searching and found a medical supply house that carries Ti allen wrenches. I guess Ti is less likely to cause irritations so it is better than steel for medical purposes.

They have some combination wrenches like a 5 and 6 mm end on one wrench. My 5mm steel allen weighs 16 g (if memory serves me correctly) so I guess I could save about 8 grams by using a Ti one. Getting a combination wrench would save more because I can take one wrench instead of 2. I have a Ritchey CPR14 but I always carry a 5mm allen as well.

Soooooo, has anyone used Ti allen wrenches? Are they as reliable as steel, or am I going to round off my ti skewers and or Al bolts if I have to do a trailside repair? Is it worth it? My camelbak + tubes and tools - bladder weighs 800g so maybe the 8g isn't going to hurt anything....
    i dont know about durability.

But thats awesome, ive been looking for a ti allen, where did you find them at?

thanks
    jeremyb

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyb

thanks
    jeremyb
    I just googles it and got this one. It looks good, but you need to email for a password for the prices. I think that 5-6mm double one would be better though. Anywho, here is the link: http://www.imprex.net/
    Last edited by TheRedMantra; 08-11-2004 at 07:54 AM. Reason: URL was messed up
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyb

thanks
    jeremyb
    Here is the site:

http://www.bti-tool.com/hexkeys.htm

They don't have prices listed. The actiontec site has a set of 2 double ended wrenches for $21.48.

http://www.actiontec.us/tools.htm

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Here is the site:

http://www.bti-tool.com/hexkeys.htm

They don't have prices listed. The actiontec site has a set of 2 double ended wrenches for $21.48.

http://www.actiontec.us/tools.htm
    Um, the bti tools look to be steel. And the action tec ones just list gore cables for the description of the wrench .
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    Um, the bti tools look to be steel. And the action tec ones just list gore cables for the description of the wrench .

If you scroll to the bottom of the bti page, they have the Ti hex keys.

The actiontec site has a price list and cambria sells Ti actiontec key sets for $22
    http://www.cambriabike.com/tools/wrenches_spanners.htm

Cheers,
    Trevor

Skinny legged XC geek

Action Tec calls them "Dos Hex Keys"

You get 4 end sizes. The weight of the smaller ones isn't any less than for steel, so just use steel for the little guys. Compared to keeping a mini-tool with a full array, you will have to scarifice the larger key that fits your crank fixing bolts to get the weigth savings. Carrying that big one as a lone wrench is not weight smart. I swapped my mini tool for loose hex wrenches, including Dos Hex keys, in my road under seat kit, saving about 40 grams. The other variable is what chain repair tool, if any, you want to carry, after removing the one in your mini tool.

I used the wrenches on a recent trip for removal and adjustment of my seat post, and my bolt on skewers. They work fine, and feel better than a clunky mini tool.

Ransomed

Dude - I'm all for saving weight, but seriously??

1 Litre of water weighs 1000 grams. To save 8 grams, put 8 MILLILITRES less water in your bladder

Cost? Nadda.

GF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gofarther

1 Litre of water weighs 1000 grams. To save 8 grams, put 8 MILLILITRES less water in your bladder

Cost? Nadda.

GF
    but then your risking dehydration...

jeremyb

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by gofarther

Cost? Nadda.

GF
    But if you save 8 grams on tools, and another 8 on water then its 16g! Where will it end!? (Heh... I carry a topeak alien brick with me, so its kind of funny how I post this )
    Herro prease

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

Also consider...

that the ti ones would be corrosion proof. My crank brothers "stainless steel" tools are staining pretty badly. I have the toxic sweat of doom I guess.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

I had a set of ActionTec ti allens

I carried them on a bike and used them occasionally until the hex ends rounded out, which happened a whole lot quicker that it would have with steel ones. Ti is strong, but pretty soft for tool applications. Not worth the weight savings, and I got 'em from Russ for free.
    The original Cronometro rear wheel, before DiaCompe acquired them, used ti bearing races. Hardened steel ball bearings against ti races, another dumb idea that turned into metal scrap in short order.

mtbr member

Make sure your dealing with 6/4

Make sure they are made of the harder Ti..my experience with softer 3/2 is it wears quickly on corners...Just a thought