Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmaybee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    162

    Ti Allen Wrenches?

    I was doing some searching and found a medical supply house that carries Ti allen wrenches. I guess Ti is less likely to cause irritations so it is better than steel for medical purposes.

    They have some combination wrenches like a 5 and 6 mm end on one wrench. My 5mm steel allen weighs 16 g (if memory serves me correctly) so I guess I could save about 8 grams by using a Ti one. Getting a combination wrench would save more because I can take one wrench instead of 2. I have a Ritchey CPR14 but I always carry a 5mm allen as well.

    Soooooo, has anyone used Ti allen wrenches? Are they as reliable as steel, or am I going to round off my ti skewers and or Al bolts if I have to do a trailside repair? Is it worth it? My camelbak + tubes and tools - bladder weighs 800g so maybe the 8g isn't going to hurt anything....

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jeremyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaybee
    I was doing some searching and found a medical supply house that carries Ti allen wrenches. I guess Ti is less likely to cause irritations so it is better than steel for medical purposes.

    They have some combination wrenches like a 5 and 6 mm end on one wrench. My 5mm steel allen weighs 16 g (if memory serves me correctly) so I guess I could save about 8 grams by using a Ti one. Getting a combination wrench would save more because I can take one wrench instead of 2. I have a Ritchey CPR14 but I always carry a 5mm allen as well.

    Soooooo, has anyone used Ti allen wrenches? Are they as reliable as steel, or am I going to round off my ti skewers and or Al bolts if I have to do a trailside repair? Is it worth it? My camelbak + tubes and tools - bladder weighs 800g so maybe the 8g isn't going to hurt anything....
    i dont know about durability.

    But thats awesome, ive been looking for a ti allen, where did you find them at?

    thanks
    jeremyb

  3. #3
    6x7=Dont Panic!
    Reputation: TheRedMantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyb
    i dont know about durability.

    But thats awesome, ive been looking for a ti allen, where did you find them at?

    thanks
    jeremyb
    I just googles it and got this one. It looks good, but you need to email for a password for the prices. I think that 5-6mm double one would be better though. Anywho, here is the link: http://www.imprex.net/
    Last edited by TheRedMantra; 08-11-2004 at 07:54 AM. Reason: URL was messed up
    Herro prease

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmaybee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyb
    i dont know about durability.

    But thats awesome, ive been looking for a ti allen, where did you find them at?

    thanks
    jeremyb
    Here is the site:

    http://www.bti-tool.com/hexkeys.htm

    They don't have prices listed. The actiontec site has a set of 2 double ended wrenches for $21.48.

    http://www.actiontec.us/tools.htm

  5. #5
    6x7=Dont Panic!
    Reputation: TheRedMantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaybee
    Here is the site:

    http://www.bti-tool.com/hexkeys.htm

    They don't have prices listed. The actiontec site has a set of 2 double ended wrenches for $21.48.

    http://www.actiontec.us/tools.htm
    Um, the bti tools look to be steel. And the action tec ones just list gore cables for the description of the wrench .
    Herro prease

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmaybee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    Um, the bti tools look to be steel. And the action tec ones just list gore cables for the description of the wrench .

    If you scroll to the bottom of the bti page, they have the Ti hex keys.

    The actiontec site has a price list and cambria sells Ti actiontec key sets for $22
    http://www.cambriabike.com/tools/wrenches_spanners.htm

    Cheers,
    Trevor

  7. #7
    Skinny legged XC geek
    Reputation: pedalAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    247

    Action Tec calls them "Dos Hex Keys"

    You get 4 end sizes. The weight of the smaller ones isn't any less than for steel, so just use steel for the little guys. Compared to keeping a mini-tool with a full array, you will have to scarifice the larger key that fits your crank fixing bolts to get the weigth savings. Carrying that big one as a lone wrench is not weight smart. I swapped my mini tool for loose hex wrenches, including Dos Hex keys, in my road under seat kit, saving about 40 grams. The other variable is what chain repair tool, if any, you want to carry, after removing the one in your mini tool.

    I used the wrenches on a recent trip for removal and adjustment of my seat post, and my bolt on skewers. They work fine, and feel better than a clunky mini tool.

  8. #8
    Ransomed
    Reputation: gofarther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaybee
    I was doing some searching and found a medical supply house that carries Ti allen wrenches. I guess Ti is less likely to cause irritations so it is better than steel for medical purposes.

    They have some combination wrenches like a 5 and 6 mm end on one wrench. My 5mm steel allen weighs 16 g (if memory serves me correctly) so I guess I could save about 8 grams by using a Ti one. Getting a combination wrench would save more because I can take one wrench instead of 2. I have a Ritchey CPR14 but I always carry a 5mm allen as well.

    Soooooo, has anyone used Ti allen wrenches? Are they as reliable as steel, or am I going to round off my ti skewers and or Al bolts if I have to do a trailside repair? Is it worth it? My camelbak + tubes and tools - bladder weighs 800g so maybe the 8g isn't going to hurt anything....
    Dude - I'm all for saving weight, but seriously??

    1 Litre of water weighs 1000 grams. To save 8 grams, put 8 MILLILITRES less water in your bladder

    Cost? Nadda.

    GF

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jeremyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by gofarther
    Dude - I'm all for saving weight, but seriously??

    1 Litre of water weighs 1000 grams. To save 8 grams, put 8 MILLILITRES less water in your bladder

    Cost? Nadda.

    GF
    but then your risking dehydration...

    jeremyb

  10. #10
    6x7=Dont Panic!
    Reputation: TheRedMantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by gofarther
    Dude - I'm all for saving weight, but seriously??

    1 Litre of water weighs 1000 grams. To save 8 grams, put 8 MILLILITRES less water in your bladder

    Cost? Nadda.

    GF
    But if you save 8 grams on tools, and another 8 on water then its 16g! Where will it end!? (Heh... I carry a topeak alien brick with me, so its kind of funny how I post this )
    Herro prease

  11. #11
    POG
    POG is offline
    Pudgy Old Guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    535

    Also consider...

    that the ti ones would be corrosion proof. My crank brothers "stainless steel" tools are staining pretty badly. I have the toxic sweat of doom I guess.

  12. #12
    all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,635

    I had a set of ActionTec ti allens

    I carried them on a bike and used them occasionally until the hex ends rounded out, which happened a whole lot quicker that it would have with steel ones. Ti is strong, but pretty soft for tool applications. Not worth the weight savings, and I got 'em from Russ for free.
    The original Cronometro rear wheel, before DiaCompe acquired them, used ti bearing races. Hardened steel ball bearings against ti races, another dumb idea that turned into metal scrap in short order.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rjpstoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    347

    Make sure your dealing with 6/4

    Make sure they are made of the harder Ti..my experience with softer 3/2 is it wears quickly on corners...Just a thought

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone use Ti bars?
    By tmaybee in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 02:25 AM
  2. Finally, my new Ti Racer-X is on it's way...
    By 1speed_Mike in forum Titus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 06:10 AM
  3. Ti vs carbon????? ........................
    By MKD in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 08:54 PM
  4. Ti brake studs on a Ti frame?
    By tmaybee in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 05:20 AM
  5. New SS Ti 29er (and too long review)
    By lanpope in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 06:04 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •