XC CONVERT
    Apr 2004

To those who have tried both XPEDO and CRANK BROS. pedals....

I am wondering whether to go with the XPEDO MAG/SL or the CANDY SL? What are the benefits of either choice. I do realize there is 25 grams weight diff between the two and I would go with a Ti spindled pedal, but I weigh 194#.

I have a Brand New in Box Candy Ti. set in my possession and will probably return them.

I am also considereing the Eggbeater Single Ti. pedals, but would prefer some sort of a platform.

Thanks.

Driven by watts inside
    It's all personal preference, really and it comes down to what you're used to using. What pedals do you currently have?

Aside from weight, the biggest differences are going to be mud clearance or positive engagement.

SPD pedals have a much firmer hold on your cleat. They make your foot feel like it's one with the bike. Depending on the cleat you choose, there's not a whole lot of float which I feel provides more feedback and control for the rider. They tend to get a little packed up in mud, though

Time/Eggbeaters shed mud extremely well and have 4 sided entry. However, they have a vague sense of being clipped in. Personally, I think they feel sloppy and give me less control. But that's just me...

My bad experiences with the Time interface are probably just related to my inexperience with it. The same could be said of others who dislike SPD. I can't tell you how many times I've come unclipped when using Time on my Girlfriend's bike and smashed my knees on the top tube, though. **** happens, I guess.

- Jeremy -

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

My experience with Expeedo...

I absolutely wore out not one, but two pairs in the course of last season. Spindle play, bushing'seal destruction, worn out springs, etc. I rode one pair out between April and July, the second pair was toast from July to October, RACE DAY only, IMO. Both pairs were warrantied by QBP without questions. Hope that helps.

XC CONVERT
    Apr 2004
    It's been a while since I have tried SPD's. However, now that I think about it the SPD's felt more secure than my old eggbeaters. Which I definitely like. Also the platforms seem more friendly to click into quickly while maintaining your pedaling rythym. I think the XPEDO's may be the ticket. I just hope the bearing last a little longer than a few months.

mtbr member

Bushings for bearings - naughty naughty

If you want short term benefits such as low purchase price and low wieght, etc. then either of these are good choices. If you want pedals (and other bike parts) that aren't a frustrating money hole try the Times for float and mud shedding or shimano for more locked in but a little less mud shedding. Everything comes with compromises....and egg beaters/Expedio's make their products with too many compromises in the wrong place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

In defense of eggs

I have 3 sets of eggbeaters and have been very happy with em. Been riding them for 3 seasons now and have had to do bearings in one set. Cranks Bros sent me out a rebulid kit at no charge and were really cool. I don't know anything about the Xpedos. I actually like the more free floating feel, but I came off of frogs so yeah. Eggs are good

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think the Expedo is too compromising. Everything is great except for the durability from what I've heard.

If you are a speed freak and care about weight, then there is no finer pedal than the Eggbeater ...they use a bushing but the new ones all seem perfectly reliable and durable...at your weight I would be looking at the Twin Ti and skipping the Candy completely ...the platform is pretty redundant in my opinion.

XC CONVERT
    Apr 2004
    Hmm....You don't find that a platform type pedal would be better in a situation where you are unclipped, then being able to pedal immediately into and maintaining a rythym til' you finally are able click back in? For example in technical, steep climbs. I think that maybe the wings on the eggbeater make it more difficult than a platform type for this situation.

ballbuster

second that

Quote Originally Posted by tommasini
    If you want short term benefits such as low purchase price and low wieght, etc. then either of these are good choices. If you want pedals (and other bike parts) that aren't a frustrating money hole try the Times for float and mud shedding or shimano for more locked in but a little less mud shedding. Everything comes with compromises....and egg beaters/Expedio's make their products with too many compromises in the wrong place.
    I know a lot of folks swear by eggs, but IMO bushings are a bad way to achive what a ball or roller bearing should do.

I have not one, but three buds who have killed eggbeaters or Candys, all failed on the trail due to the bushing cracking and failing.

OTOH, I have wellgo MG18ti's and I guess those are one bearing, one bushing. THey have held up under my fat ass all summer tho. Maybe they have it rigged so that the bearing takes most of the load and the bushing just keeps it straight.

Anyway, the bushing is the only think keeping me from trying a set of Candys. THat, and all 5 of my bikes are on SPDs, so I only need to keep one set of shoes.

mtbr member

eggs

I have the Candys and bought them incase i need to unclip through technical stuff. Still not sure if they realy help though, and i am thinking about the standard eggs now. I used to use the SPD type, howver as one of my knees is a bit stuffed, the float is better for my knee. If u like the feeling of your feet being 'a part of the bike', dont get eggs, if your knees are a little dodgy, they are great! Howvere spd's would still be ok if you can guarantee u set them up perfectly with the geometry of your body.

mtbr member
    I've been running expedo's for some time now. I think durability is not a problem if you do some maintenence. The first thing I've done to each set was to replace the original grease with something a bit thicker.

I've not had any problems. ti/ti on the mtb and singlespeed. the cheap steel one on the road bike.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommasini
    Eggbeaters have bearings in them.

And due to the excessive weight, I'd call the time's a frustrating money-hole. CB customer support is top notch.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Max
    Velodramatic
    so then get the Look 4x4 pedals, they got two bearings instead of 1 bearing and 1 bushing...

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    They have a bearing and a bushing, better check your facts before you so blatantly advertise...
    I have checked my facts, I have rebuilt eggbeaters. There was nothing false in my statement.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    I did a mud race this weekend. No issues with entry and exit. Was as smooth as my eggs were in the mud. This was my first experience with them in the mud.