Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Thomson post & KCNC quick release clamp, post keeps slipping

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  LCW 
#1 ·
I thought I'd ask in this forum since KCNC seems like weight weenie territory.

I have had no issues previously with my Thomson Masterpiece post and slipping (Al frame bike). I just replaced a dying quick release with a KCNC quick release. Now I can't keep the post from slipping down. It seems to me like the qr is cranked down hard, I'm nervous about tightening it up any further. Any input or advice?

#6 ·
I've had problems with qr seatpost clamps before with thomson posts. They are manufactured just slightly small (to take frame intolerances into play) but this makes them likely to slip. The clamp I used was a salsa, so high quality and not superlight - but the slippage happened no matter what I did. The choices are to replace one or other of the post or clamp.

#8 ·
AlexRandall said:
I've had problems with qr seatpost clamps before with thomson posts. They are manufactured just slightly small (to take frame intolerances into play) but this makes them likely to slip. The clamp I used was a salsa, so high quality and not superlight - but the slippage happened no matter what I did. The choices are to replace one or other of the post or clamp.
The Specialized stock one that was on its way out never slipped. I guess I'll just get another one of those

#16 ·
I just got a Kohosis seat post clamp, based on feedback from some other posts.... it's bolt-on (non QR).... torqued to spec, so far so good - no slipping. I had a Hope bolt-on before - slipped a lot - poor design... The Kohosis seems to be a solid piece, and it only weighed 17.5g in the 36.4mm size... :thumbsup:

(the 14.4g etched on the part is without bolt I think - obviously not with the bolt in there)

#17 ·
MI_canuck said:
I just got a Kohosis seat post clamp, based on feedback from some other posts.... it's bolt-on (non QR).... torqued to spec, so far so good - no slipping. I had a Hope bolt-on before - slipped a lot - poor design... The Kohosis seems to be a solid piece, and it only weighed 17.5g in the 36.4mm size... :thumbsup:
where did you get one one these? ebay?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.