mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Syntace stems: F119 vs F109

Looking for some advice here.

Does anyone actually use F119's or is it just common knowledge that the F109 is superior, and that the shim the F119 uses, while claimed to be better for carbon steerer forks, just adds to weight and shouldn't be needed (if they made the clamp work on 1 1/8 to begin with) ?

-Which one was developed first? Was the F109 what the F119 should have been originally or vice vesa?
    -F109 comes standard with Ti bolts, but of course you can put your own Ti bolts in a F119, and some places even sell it in that configuration e.g from comp. cyc

Thanks guys.

weight weenie
    May 2009
    The F119 was developed first. Then they made the lighter F109 which is same as F99 in oversize and comes with titanium bolts standard. I had the F119 as it came with my previous bike. It was stiff but an anchor. Weight of the 100mm version was around 150g. Now I have F109 in same length and the weight is 114g. I use a carbon steerer fork (SID WC 2010) and the F109 works fine. You don't need any shims if you don't overtighten the bolts.
    No Saint MaxAri R Carbon 7940g

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by elasto
    The F119 was developed first. Then they made the lighter F109 which is same as F99 in oversize and comes with titanium bolts standard. I had the F119 as it came with my previous bike. It was stiff but an anchor. Weight of the 100mm version was around 150g. Now I have F109 in same length and the weight is 114g. I use a carbon steerer fork (SID WC 2010) and the F109 works fine. You don't need any shims if you don't overtighten the bolts.
    Excellent, that's exactly the info i was after. F109 it is!