mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Syntace P6 or Thomson or else 27.2/400mm

Hi,
    posting here since weight IS an issue but with a sensible eye on strenght: Need a long post, light 'enough' (well under 300 grms?) with some setback, that holds up to general trail riding, my weight is incl. gear 165-167lbs. I wonder if anything lighter than the Thomson setback is out there, fitting that description. So far I've come up with the Syntace P6. Any suggestions?

the train keeps rollin
    Hi,

I have a P6 carbon. It's an excellent seatpost. Has setback adjustability, and the clamp/craddle is very caring to seat rails. Mine came in at 224 grams 27.2/400.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks. I hear great things about the Syntace stuff. How much seatpost is exposed on your ride? Do you ride smooth XC/fire roads or also technical/AM? My seatpost will be around 300mm out of the frame.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by schotter
    thanks. I hear great things about the Syntace stuff. How much seatpost is exposed on your ride? Do you ride smooth XC/fire roads or also technical/AM? My seatpost will be around 300mm out of the frame.

I'd say about 270mm is exposed, All Mtn mostly, Clyde.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    I've got a Syntace P6 on my Mojo and no complaints so far. I've used Syntace handlebars and stems for years and all has been quality stuff.

My P6 weighs 230 g (size 400*31.6 mm) and my riding is reasonably technical trail-riding.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    urgh...just back from a bike shop where I picked up some other stuff and I was offered a good deal on a NC-17 Empire Super Pro II which was supposed to be 285 Gramm / 31,6 (manufacturer website). Back home I put my 27,2 on a scale and it turned out to be 310+grms...will probably return it ond go for a P6...

Cannondale Maros Team
    I use the P6 for 2 years already and the Dura flite for an year and there are both amazing.

The P6 is designed so you can use a carbon rail saddle without risking too much.

I love the Syntace products and if you will choose them you won't go wrong (in my oppinion)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It seems they generally have a reputation for a good strength to weight ratio. I ordered a Dura Flite bar, will get the P6 and eyeing one of their stems...
    Another P6 question: Does it flex a little? I rode my Thomson Elite today on my hardtail and it is crazy stiff, would love to go with a little more comfort.

mtbr member
    The Race Face Next SL is supposed to be 230g for the 27.2 400 mm size. It might creak and that weight might be slightly off. Rockyuphill has one and likes it better than aluminum posts.

Cannondale Maros Team
    Quote Originally Posted by schotter
    Another P6 question: Does it flex a little? I rode my Thomson Elite today on my hardtail and it is crazy stiff, would love to go with a little more comfort.
    I don't know how stiff is the Thompson but the P6 flex a little

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Thomson felt like no flex at all at 27-29cm out of the frame. The saddle rails flex a little. There's also the Cannondale S.A.V.E. seatpost (is it available?) and the Specialized Pave. They are meant to flex more actively but I have not come across any independent tests on durability...

Live Free or Ride!
    I would recommend the Thomson. Absolutely bombproof. Never heard of any issues with them. They look amazing. They might weigh a little bit more then some of the carbon posts available but to me this is one component I do not want to fail.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know of the quality. All of my suspension bikes the last years had Thomson posts and I would not hesitate if it were not a hardtail. It's not so much the weight (my Elite laid back seatpost is a bearable +/-295grms), they are too stiff.

mtbr member
    I think you should get the Syntace unless someone can convince you out of it. I might buy one too instead of the Thomson Masterpiece.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yup, I will. Thanks everyone, would have never thought that I would direct so much attention to a seatpost...but on a hardtail and with that amount of seatpost exposure it seems to become more of a real 'component' than I thought.