mtbr member

syntace F99 stiffness question.

hello folks, here in brazil syntace f99 stems are getting cheaper than in usa! about U$65. i would love to loose almost 100grms with a simple stem change (my current stem is a 130mm thomson) but i just cant ride with a flexy stem like the ritchey wcs and the thomson i have is pretty stiff but kind of heavy too.

whats your opinion? do you think i will notice any difference in stiffness?

thanks for the help
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Just passing through....

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    hello folks, here in brazil syntace f99 stems are getting cheaper than in usa! about U$65. i would love to loose almost 100grms with a simple stem change (my current stem is a 130mm thomson) but i just cant ride with a flexy stem like the ritchey wcs and the thomson i have is pretty stiff but kind of heavy too.

whats your opinion? do you think i will notice any difference in stiffness?

thanks for the help
    I can tell you that I notice no difference in stiffness between my Syntace and my 184 gram stock Specialized stem, which was pretty stiff. I'm very happy with it. It sure looks smaller though, like there is a lot less metal being used (of course), but like I said, it feels just as stiff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

NO FLEX, worth the change

I made the change about 4 weeks ago, went from a Thomson 110mm to the F99 105mm.
    Saved about 100 grams w/Ti bolts and I have seen no flex at all !!! I am 165lbs.

1st race with the stem is this Sun, will be able to say more after it's 1st race test.

I bought mine from Dirt Boy, GREAT to buy from!!!

Hope this helps!!!

mtbr member
    thanks for your replies, helped a lot.

i hope next week it will be here.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Secretly Speed's Brother

I have the same question, but with more detail.....

I also want to switch from a Thompson stem - it seems way over built. I am not a die hard WW racer; I'm more of a trail rider / endurance racer, but at 150 lbs on a Racer-X I'm not exactly a heavy hitter. Thing is I use 620 mm wide bars with short bar ends.

Do ya think the Sytace F99 would be stiff enough?
    Would I feel a difference?
    Would a FSA XC115 be stiffer than the Syntace? - a good compromise?

I'd like to hear from more people who have switched to these stems.

Thx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer-X
    I also want to switch from a Thompson stem - it seems way over built. I am not a die hard WW racer; I'm more of a trail rider / endurance racer, but at 150 lbs on a Racer-X I'm not exactly a heavy hitter. Thing is I use 620 mm wide bars with short bar ends.

Do ya think the Sytace F99 would be stiff enough?
    Would I feel a difference?
    Would a FSA XC115 be stiffer than the Syntace? - a good compromise?

I'd like to hear from more people who have switched to these stems.

Thx
    thats a nice question, by the way, im using bar ends too and 600mm flat bars.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

mtbr member

And if I may add one more (related) question...

Can anyone compare the syntace with the extralite ultrastem in terms of stiffness and reliability?

cruzmissle

banned

i had both...

the Extralite is heavier and definitely more fragile.you really need a torque tool in order not to overtorque the tiny bolts on the Extralite Ultrastem.we have seen several failures of Extralite stems and none of the Syntace...

i switched from the Extralite to the Syntace too.the Syntace is lighter,half the cost but doesn't have that coolness factor the Extralite has.

The Top Cap Guy
    I too was considering switching my stem to a Syntace F99 - I'm currently running a Ritchey WCS stem - and I have no issues with it. Is there a big difference in weight between the 2 stems?

Also on a side note - I was looking at my WCS stem and touched a magnet to the bolts and it did not stick - did these stems come with Ti bolts or something?

Thanks
    Fred
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    I too was considering switching my stem to a Syntace F99 - I'm currently running a Ritchey WCS stem - and I have no issues with it. Is there a big difference in weight between the 2 stems?

Also on a side note - I was looking at my WCS stem and touched a magnet to the bolts and it did not stick - did these stems come with Ti bolts or something?

Thanks
    Fred
    i dont think so, maybe stainless steel?
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

banned

WCS vs F99

both great stems but considering the cost and weight the F99 is definitely 1st choice.
    WCS 120mm: 139g (130g with Ti bolts)
    F99 120mm: 113g ( 104g with Ti bolts)

I can't tell for sure if the F99 is stiffer than the WCS.i haven't ridden a WCS for long time.I have no flex with the F99.it feels stiffer than the Extralite too.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

F99 vs Extralite vs FSA XC120 or 115

After using all 3 stems I can offer an opinion.

The F99 is the lighest of the group, but the most plain looking. The FSA XC115 is a realy nice stem with a small weight penalty over the F99 and Extralite.
    The Exralite is the nicest looking and and might be the most stiffest due to the oversize of the stem. No it has been having a few problems with them. Face plate cracking and steerclamp issues if yoused with bead blasted steertubes (Marzocchi). The Extralite aslo cost the most out of each stem. Extralite has addressed all issues with this stem and has made improvements in the design with out a weight penalty. Also they will be fatigue tested beyone normal standards now. BUT you most be very careful with torque specs always.

Now cost wise the FSA is the best value for the dollar and the lighest. Graphics might be much for some. Syntace is very lighet with a decent cost. Extralite looks the best but is very costly due to the Euro being so high,

Stiffness: There is ABSOLUTLEY no difference that I can notice at 165lbs with these stems. My reccomendation is go with what you prefer on looks, weight factor or brand name.

FSA XC115 124g (120mm)
    Syntace F99 104g (120mm)
    Extralite UltraStem 109g (120mm)

Syntace and Extralite can loose 3-4g with Ti Bolts (est.)
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How about the WCS V3?

Apparently they are pretty light (110mm ~ 110g) but have not heard anything about their stiffness though.

Has anyone got any experience with them?

Cheers
    Wayne

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    FSA XC115 124g (120mm)
    Syntace F99 104g (120mm)
    Extralite UltraStem 109g (120mm)

Syntace and Extralite can loose 3-4g with Ti Bolts (est.)
    My 120mm f99 was 112g with steel bolts and 103g with ti bolts
    the 120mm UltraStem on weightweenies is listed at 114g
    the f99 uses M5 bolts, the UltraStem uses M4 bolts so going to ti bolts only saves about 5g.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    [QUOTE=DIRT BOY]After using all 3 stems I can offer an opinion.

The F99 is the lighest of the group, but the most plain looking. The FSA XC115 is a realy nice stem with a small weight penalty over the F99 and Extralite.
    The Exralite is the nicest looking and and might be the most stiffest due to the oversize of the stem. No it has been having a few problems with them. Face plate cracking and steerclamp issues if yoused with bead blasted steertubes (Marzocchi). The Extralite aslo cost the most out of each stem. Extralite has addressed all issues with this stem and has made improvements in the design with out a weight penalty. Also they will be fatigue tested beyone normal standards now. BUT you most be very careful with torque specs always.

Now cost wise the FSA is the best value for the dollar and the lighest. Graphics might be much for some. Syntace is very lighet with a decent cost. Extralite looks the best but is very costly due to the Euro being so high,

Stiffness: There is ABSOLUTLEY no difference that I can notice at 165lbs with these stems. My reccomendation is go with what you prefer on looks, weight factor or brand name.

FSA XC115 124g (120mm)*
    Syntace F99 104g (120mm)*
    Extralite UltraStem UL 109g (120mm)*
    Extralite UltraStem 110g (120mm)
    Extralite UltraStem UL 2 Est. 93g (120mm)*

*weights are listed with Ti Bolts
    Last edited by DIRT BOY; 03-14-2004 at 06:19 PM.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Syntace and Easton Carbon Bars

Is the Syntace F99 stem ok to use with Easton Carbon Bars?

I know Easton are particular about which barends you use on their bars...

Just passing through....

I checked with Easton before buying a carbon bar....

Quote Originally Posted by milroy
    Is the Syntace F99 stem ok to use with Easton Carbon Bars?

I know Easton are particular about which barends you use on their bars...
    They said that the Syntace will be fine, just use the Syntace torque settings. I ended up going with the Maxm MX-1 bar, but no problems so far. Bar ends are a different story, because not all handlebars are reinforced on the ends, but all are reinforced at the stem connection point.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 03-15-2004 at 02:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Marthon steer tube issues.

It appears as though the issues I was having with the Extralite stems slipping is due to issues with the fork steer tubes. The 2002 Marzocchi Marathon S steer tube is bead-blasted and measures 28.52-28.55 mm in diameter. I suspect the bead-blasted finish has reduced the diameter as well as made the surface too hard/dense and/or reduced the surface contact area to an unacceptable level. I've suspected this could be a problem for quite some time, but didn't have another fork to try until recently.

The new fork I installed has a steer tube with a "lathe turned" finish (not sure how else to describe it) and measures 28.66-28.71 (I actually had to carefully sand it in order to get the stem to slide on properly). The UltraStem UL seems to be holding just fine at 3.5 Nm.

Perhaps I can replace the steer tubes on the Marzocchi forks because I like them very much otherwise.

Secretly Speed's Brother

So the bottom line question is...

Is the Thompson stem so over built and the lightweight stem (F99, etc) so well built that no stiffness difference can be felt - even on a non-race-only bike with wide bars? Only a couple people actually addressed this question.

Is that the concensus?

SuperGo sale starts soon, so I might pick-up a F99.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Cassoulet forever !
    Well, i can just say that my ultrastem is significantly stiffer than my previous ritchey wcs, despites being 30% lighter...