Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Syntace F99 Stem Recall!!?? Check link inside.

I was searching for an online store to buy myself a Syntace F99 25.4/105mm Stem, and I stumbled upon this recall. This is for my Mountain bike by the way.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml06/06069.html

should I be concerned?

Where can I purchase this stem from? I'm looking for someone who accepts Visa (no paypal please) and the least inexpensive store with good shipping rates to Canada?

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Look at the date of that recall - any place that is trustworthy would only have the newer syntace stems. Beware of older stems being sold on ebay

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Yoicks, mine appears to come within those numbers :/

Compulsive Bike Builder

Ours are up to date

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Look at the date of that recall - any place that is trustworthy would only have the newer syntace stems. Beware of older stems being sold on ebay
    All of our stems on eBay are post-recall. They were over a year ago, actually.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexyblackbmw
    I was searching for an online store to buy myself a Syntace F99 25.4/105mm Stem, and I stumbled upon this recall. This is for my Mountain bike by the way.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml06/06069.html

should I be concerned?

Where can I purchase this stem from? I'm looking for someone who accepts Visa (no paypal please) and the least inexpensive store with good shipping rates to Canada?
    The recall is pretty old news. BUT glad you saw it. EWvery retailer or ebay shop SHOULD have the new ones by now. If not they are sleeping!!
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

Go faster!
    It's good to know that. Sintace are ugly and now expect to cracking. bah get an extralite. I'm sorry that they don’t make a 90mm version of the UL2

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio_pt
    It's good to know that. Sintace are ugly and now expect to cracking. bah get an extralite. I'm sorry that they don’t make a 90mm version of the UL2

You are kidding right? I'd put one of the recalled stems up against the rest on the market. I think it speaks volumes that they had internal failures and based a recall on that. My recollection is they had not in the field failures so that's a hell of a company. Not the flashiest stem but if you find a UL for what an F99 sells for you might ought to worry about it breaking instead. Good company, good stem, good price, old recall but good to be reminded to check them.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Titus Racer X
    Lynskey Singlespeed

Maromero
    Before you continue talking nonsense, take a look at the thread, almost two years old, but it will give you a better idea about Syntace and what customer service means.
    Syntace users

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Ok, you are an idiot sir!

First thing Syntace did NOT have to issue a recall. The stems are safe, but they thought error on the safe side and issue one. They were fast and great on this., They recalld JUST IN CASE there were som failures. I never heard of any and the recall suprised me!

No Extralite had issues with face plates cracking. I had one as well as a few customers. Serio Riva said they were installed wrong. They warrantied them, but 3 months later they improve the desgin on them and they have been bombproof so far.

They stopped making a 90mm a while back for MTB and I have no idea why. But they make a 130mm...
    So Extralite is not perfect! The Head2 bearings also can be very finicky at times. A few saddle clmaps had issues....
    They make awesome light stuiff, but they are far from perfect.

Now if you wnat to rip Syntace, then rip them for odd sizing on their stems. They go 90, 105, 120, 135mm. Why a 105mm and not 100 & 110 like everyone else?
    The 90-105-120mm is a big gap!

One reason I an running a Ritchey 4-Axis untill Extralite makes thier OS stem. I need a 100mm road stem.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje
    Before you continue talking nonsense, take a look at the thread, almost two years old, but it will give you a better idea about Syntace and what customer service means.
    Syntace users
    YUP! Probaly the BEST CS in the industry!!

Man, what a Maroon...
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

Go faster!
    I have the right to dislike the syntaces or not? Just respect the other thoughts all right?
    I like to keep all my bike parts in one piece even when there is a good costumer service.
    From what a read in the link: “Hazard: The recalled bicycle stems can crack or break under normal conditions, causing the rider to fall and suffer serious injury.”
    Good to know! If it happened it can happen again. Have fun with it.
    When you crash with your teeth in the dirt the CS won’t take off your pains for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dude, as we mentioned there never was a field failure so it hasn't happened yet so it happening "again" is not a possibility. They recalled as a proactive company which is more than most companies. That says a lot. You'd prefer to ride the stem of a company that denies issues and covers up the breakages that they have in the field?

reading comprehension is key . . .
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Titus Racer X
    Lynskey Singlespeed

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    I have the right to dislike the syntaces or not? Just respect the other thoughts all right?
    I like to keep all my bike parts in one piece even when there is a good costumer service.
    From what a read in the link: “Hazard: The recalled bicycle stems can crack or break under normal conditions, causing the rider to fall and suffer serious injury.”
    When you crash with your teeth in the dirt the CS won’t take off your pains for sure.
    I was sort of a joke! Yes, you have the right to dislike them. But again the stems never failed. It was precautionary and it was not required.

Syntace wanted to make that we did NOT lose out teeth!

Agian, if you want the BEST CS in the industry, then support Syntace.

Personally, I prefer the look of the Extralite stems as well. The Syntace stems are spindily looking and lack that Pazazz. But the weight to strength to price is probaly the best around.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

Go faster!
    I did understood! peace

Ty
    mtbr member
    In case any of you missed it (i did) the link in the first post of this thread has out of date / incorrect information - the recall dates have been extended from . . .

week 01 / 2003 - week 45 / 2004

to . . .

week 01 / 2003 - week 34 / 2005

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Hm. I just purchased one of these off eBay yesterday. I'll have to have a look at it closely when it arrives.

mtbr member

That was close!

Mine says B35 05, so one month later.That is very annoying, specially if you don't have a replacement stem laying around...

RfQ
    mtbr member

oh crud...

Mine says

30 - 04.
    Darn.

Ty
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RfQ
    Mine says

30 - 04.
    Darn.

Instructions on how to get a free Syntace replacement

RfQ
    mtbr member
    Cheers Ty.
    I have already emailed SyntaceUSA and they responded immediately with instructions on how to get my replacement. Basically cut the exisiting stem with a hacksaw and send a pic to them, then a replacement will be sent out.
    Fair enough.
    Just need to find a stem for the interim.

Ty
    mtbr member
    Got my new replacement stem today in the post, slightly different design on the graphics - weight identical (120mm)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Nice, is that from Syntace germany? I've been waiting an age for my replacement as they have no stock of 105mm , on the plus side they did send me an F139 for free while I wait.

mtbr member
    Did you send the old one or just a pic of it broken apart?

Ty
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiiija
    Nice, is that from Syntace germany? I've been waiting an age for my replacement as they have no stock of 105mm , on the plus side they did send me an F139 for free while I wait.
    Yep, I am in the UK so I got from from Germany.

Batas I sent a hi-res picture - against a newspaper dated for that day.

They also sent for free:

Some 'Syntace Friction Paste' for mounting carbon and aluminum components (allows torque to be lowered by 30% - protects from corrosion - eliminates creaking) and a cool handle bar stem measuring thing (to find the perfect stem length) - I think other people got stuff like Syntace water bottles - it's a bit of a lucky dip as to what present Syntace will send you with your replacement stem - oh!! the excitement

These new stems also come with a 10 year guarantee (!!) along with a promise of 48 hour turnaround on that guarantee
    Last edited by Ty; 05-30-2007 at 12:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Man, you put the definitive 'dim' in dimbulb. Speaking of rights, you have the right to be a comically inept reader of others' posts too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast