mtbr member
    May 2006

Syntac P6 Post strength question

Is the Syntac a good post, I don't know much about the brand, but I just picked up a F99 stem and wouldn't mind the matching post, while trying to save some weight. I'm 190lbs and not sure about it's durability, is it safe? I ride cross country only. It will go on my superlight, so it will be 27.2mm.

Or, should I get a Masterpiece? Is carbon as strong?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Carbon posts can be damaged from bad installation, but it's not a problem if you're careful. Just deburr the seat tube and clamp only tight enough to prevent slipping. Toothpaste or carbon assembly paste can increase friction and reduce the required clamping torque.

Thomson and Syntace are both very strong posts with similar weights, from companies with industry-leading quality control and strength testing. Buy whichever one looks better on your bike.

If you want strength and consistent quality, you picked the right brands. However, there are lighter, cheaper posts available from Taiwan. I'll let others suggest them.

PS - Check your P99 date code. It may be subject to recall: http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1207
    Last edited by EuroMack; 10-21-2007 at 01:27 AM.

pedal pusher
    Kananaskis, be sure to check the Reviews section of this website. It's pretty much the first place to go when you want to know how well a product performs and how happy other riders are with it.

Personally, I'd go with whichever part weighs less, but if you want the Syntace because it matches your stem, then go for it; either reason is a good one.

ups and downs
    The other factor with carbon posts is whether you raise and lower your post a lot when riding. If you use a seat post QR, you're better off with aluminium as it won't scratch as easily. With carbon there's that chance that you can get a zig zag gouge in the seatpost because of something stuck in the seat tube slot or because you don't loosen the clamp as much as usual one time. And if you raise and lower a lot it will wear through the clear protective finish on the carbon post.

If it's a steel Blizzard frame you'd also want to run a seatpost hone in the seat tube before using a carbon post just to make sure there's no small burrs or welding spatter deeper inside the seat tube, and to make sure the slot in the frame has no burrs near the bottom.

mtbr member
    I had this decision a while back and after much deliberation (MUCH!!!) I ended up with masterpiece, It's lighter, won't scratch, will last forever, doesn't have a separate clamp base that has to be mated to the carbon tube, and on a bike I think it looks better! However I run Syntace bars and they are great. If you do go Syntace at least rest assured it's probably the strongest (not lightest) carbon post ever! (big call, but I can't think of what's stronger in the carbon world). The USE aliens are good for a light carbon post, but I think it's better on road.

the train keeps rollin
    I have the P6, 27.2X400 = 233 grams. It's not all that light. The clamping is top notch, easy to adjust, holds the saddle rails beautifully.

It does scratch up. I wanted a Masterpiece, but they don't make them long enough.

Syntace did run a test on the post, and it failed 2nd to last, only the Truvative Double Clamp was stronger. Thomson was middle of the pack.
    beaver hunt

A Real Winner.
    I have a P6 as well, 27.2x400, and it weighed 238 grams. Good looking post.
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.