SUBLIM8er

SWorks Fastrax 'n Stans "results" report.......

Wahoo!!!.........This tire rocks! Here's how I tackled the instalation process:

1. Install tire w/ tube on my Crossmax wheel. Air up to 60lbs and let sit over night making sure that the bead is evenly locked into place on the rim. Let sit over night.
    2. break bead on one side of tire, take out tube, install valve stem, reseat the broken bead as best I could, spray some soapy water on the broken bead and have a go at airing up sans any Stans.
    3. It airs up nicely w/my silca floor pump! Almost as good as a UST tire! It holds air without the Stans for a pretty long time! The only air I saw leaking out was a small amout around the bead- no air loss from the sidewalls!
    4. let the air out and break down one bead partially in order to squirt in 30cc of Stans. Reseat the bead without air.
    5. Air up again with the Silca Floor pump and add little more soapy water on the broken bead. It airs up like a charm to 30lbs! Shake the Stans around in the tire as usual.
    6. Have a beer and let 'er sit overnight.
    7. Wake up in morning, stumble out to the garage and happily see it's still at 30lbs of pressure.
    8. Go for a ride.

Ride impressions: It was kinda wet this morning for the ride. This is advertised as a hardpack tire. Having said that, it does MUCH better in the mud then my Racing Ralph that this tire replaced. I found no noticable difference in rolling resistence coming from the RR to this tire and the RR is rated tops for that. The tire did pack up with mud but you gotta expect that in a hardpack tire, I guess. The cornering was superb even in the wet stuff. No washouts at all. The Python Airlight in the back did washout quite a few times this morning but the front held tight. I got no burping at all from the Fastrax @ 30lbs of pressure this morning. I hit a couple of rock gardens pretty hard too.

I've gotta say that I have run many standard tires w/stans and this one really suprised me for ease of airup. It's not the lightest @ 493g but it also looks to be a true 2.0 tire I won't have to stress much over w/sidewall cuts and burping. It holds air great out of the gate unlike many others I have tried, rolls as fast as the Racing Ralph to my powers of perception, corners great and handles the mud reasonably well for a hardpacker. I like.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    493g is NOT BAD I mean the NBX is what 470?! And its actually a bit wider than a 2.0 more like 2.1.

I've noticed that problem with mud packing in alot of Specialized tires. But still great cornering.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    493g is NOT BAD I mean the NBX is what 470?! And its actually a bit wider than a 2.0 more like 2.1.

I've noticed that problem with mud packing in alot of Specialized tires. But still great cornering.
    I haven't measured it but it could be almost a 2.1. The thing that looks good about this tire is the decent sidewall which, will hopefully help keep burping down and protect against cuts.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

banned
    thanks for the nice writeup.

now one comment:
    seeing your detailed and enthusiastic description of mouting a tire la Stans and saying it was as easy as installing a UST tire makes me believe you now compare a regular tire ridden with sealant to a UST tire or tire with inner tube. is this correct?

SUBLIM8er
    seeing your detailed and enthusiastic description of mouting a tire la Stans and saying it was as easy as installing a UST tire makes me believe you now compare a regular tire ridden with sealant to a UST tire or tire with inner tube. is this correct?[/QUOTE]

I just woke up and have only had 1/2 cup of coffee but, I think I understand the question. The point I was trying to make was that this Fastrax tire w/Stans mounted ALMOST as easily on my rim as a UST tire (on same rim.) I have yet to be able to air up a non-UST tire on these rims without going to an air compressor for some extra muscle. I will occasionally mount up a Bomber UST tire for epic rides like the Berryman in MO which has lots of razor sharp flinty rock in lots of sections. The RR tire that this tire replaced was a non UST tire (of course) that I ran with Stans. Other tires that I have run on this rim w/Stans include: Conti Twister SS, Conti Explorer SS, Hutch. Python Airlight, Conti Gravity Pro (great tire,) Nokian NBX Lite (only good for smooth trails and not real mtb trails;,) Specialized Sworks Mt Baldy, Specialized Rockster, Maxxis Ignitor ExCeption. I use different tires for different terrain. Here in the US we have hardcore mtb trails that can put some hurt on tires. Lots of the the tires I listed I wouldn't think of taking on some trails I ride, but for other courses like our local Buck Hill race series I can get away with a wimpier tire that rolls fast. Cyclocross terrain is not the norm here unlike some of the European trails.
    William S. Burroughs

banned

thanks...

ok - thanks for the clarification.

why do dou have to throw in some "spines" all the time? i don't think this is needed.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Axis IIBuck Hill QUOTE]

BUCK HILL!

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    ok - thanks for the clarification.

why do dou have to throw in some "spines" all the time? i don't think this is needed.
    OK, let's have a truce. I'll play nice IF you play nice, agreed? Isn't there an expression about people who can't take a dose of their own medicine? Oops, I did it again. No, really, I will try hard to monitor my "spines" moving forward and I appreciate your bringing this to my attention. In return, I will monitor your "spines" and bring them to your attention. Sound fair?
    William S. Burroughs

SUBLIM8er
    [QUOTE=Fat Elvis]
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis IIBuck Hill QUOTE

BUCK HILL!
    Dude! That's an awesome ikon! I used to have that poster back in me punk rock days. Let it be, right? Guess who my next door neighbor is?....Chris Mars. No shite! The Mats have some new material out according to Chris. He said he, Paul, Tommy and Slim? got together last January and put down some new tracks to go along with a release of some older stuff. Chris has a couple tracks where he's doing vocals and not on drums. Can't wait to hear it. See you at Buck next week? I'll be on the black Stealth. PM me if'n ya want to get together for some ride'n. We generally do Lebanon Hills every Sat morning at 9am and do about five laps. I'll be out of town for a 12hour race in WI this weekend, though.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Axis II]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis

Dude! That's an awesome ikon! I used to have that poster back in me punk rock days. Let it be, right? Guess who my next door neighbor is?....Chris Mars. No shite! The Mats have some new material out according to Chris. He said he, Paul, Tommy and Slim? got together last January and put down some new tracks to go along with a release of some older stuff. Chris has a couple tracks where he's doing vocals and not on drums. Can't wait to hear it. See you at Buck next week? I'll be on the black Stealth. PM me if'n ya want to get together for some ride'n. We generally do Lebanon Hills every Sat morning at 9am and do about five laps. I'll be out of town for a 12hour race in WI this weekend, though.
    Sorry, I live in Colorado, but I'm a huge mats-head. Whenever I see someone mention Buck Hill, that song screams through my brain. That must be pretty cool living next to Chris Mars. I have a buddy from Minnesota who got drunk with Bob in a bar once. I'm missing out.

viva la v-brakes!
    Is there any reason you didn't just get the UST version of the Fast trax? I believe it's one of the lightest UST tires out there, why not save the trouble with the goop?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    Is there any reason you didn't just get the UST version of the Fast trax? I believe it's one of the lightest UST tires out there, why not save the trouble with the goop?

Well, that would be because the UST version is heavier, of course. UST version goes @628g according to Specialized. Not bad for a UST tire at all, your right. Here's a pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Are you running stan's strip inside of the crossmax wheels? Or just the sealant. I have tried without the strip with some nevegal's but they leaked so bad I just took them back off.
    www.MtbTi.com "Titanium bolt kits for your bike"

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by miketech1
    Are you running stan's strip inside of the crossmax wheels? Or just the sealant. I have tried without the strip with some nevegal's but they leaked so bad I just took them back off.
    No rimstrip needed. The nevegals are heavy and slow rollers anyway. Time for a new tire?
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Axis,

Sorry if I missed this: Are you running standard Crossmax or Crossmax UST?

mtbr member
    Crossmax slr UST. Thanks.
    www.MtbTi.com "Titanium bolt kits for your bike"

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroMack
    Axis,

Sorry if I missed this: Are you running standard Crossmax or Crossmax UST?
    This was a quite dated post that has been resurected. The wheelset was Crossmax UST. Those wheels have been downgraded to SS duty. I now run ZTRs on both race bikes and the Panaracer Razer has displaced the Fastrax.
    William S. Burroughs

MTBR Contributing Editor
    I had worn out my old normal Schwalbe Alberts.

My rear tire was so bad that I went back to a spare UST Schwalbe Albert tire I had sitting around. That went on in an instant, no high pressure needed, no soapy water, no sealant, no special tricks were needed. But they are heavy!

Anyway when I got the new replacement normal Schwalbe Albert set I did the following for each tire.

Front Tire:

I put the new Schwalbe Albert on the Mavic Crossmax SL UST rim and I used a high pressure tank and soapy water on the tire bead but I couldn't get the bead to pop up and seal the tire, so I pulled off the Stans rim strip and put in a tube reseated the tire and pumped it up to 40 psi. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, deflated the tire, swapped out the tube for the Stans rim strip, reseated the tire and soaped up the bead (a couple of times) and it finally popped up and sealed (got to love that noise when it seals...pop pop). Deflated the tire, took out the core and added 50 grams sealant. I reinflated, sloshed the sealant around to the beads, let it sit on its side for 5 minutes. Picked up the tire and sloshed the sealant around to the beads, let it sit on its other side for 5 minutes. Yea!

Rear Tire:

I put the new Schwalbe Albert on the Mavic Crossmax SL UST rim and I used a high pressure tank and soapy water on the tire bead it popped right away, had 90 psi in the tank, that seemed to help a bunch. I deflated the tire, took out the core and added 50 grams sealant. I reinflated, sloshed the sealant around to the beads, let it sit on its side for 5 minutes. Picked up the tire and sloshed the sealant around to the beads, let it sit on its other side for 5 minutes. Done!

I have tried a bunch of times and had issues trying to get the tires to pop up without having any sort of rim strip. High pressure tank helps a bunch. It also depends on the particular tire brand.

Weight savings:

Schwalbe Albert 2.25 UST 870 grams
    Schwalbe Albert 2.25 650 grams
    Stans rim strip 40 grams
    Weight Savings = 180 grams

Note: I run sealant when I am running UST or non UST tires with any tubeless method, so the extra weight for sealant is a non issue.

just ride
    heck yeah man!

Ive been running and recommending Fast Trak Pros for over a year now to everyone that asks what the tire is for our local trails. They really are the real deal..... Makes me wonder if its just our midwestern soil..... Even the Specy guys dont consider the FT the best tire, most of them Cali boys say they like the resolution better.

i ride the 29er version myself with a tube, and couldnt be happier.

funny, i tried a FT front, SmallBlock8 rear combo last weekend. felt like I was Nascar racing. The rear end had drift on corners...... The SB8 is also a rippin fast tire, but just not as much edge hold on the twisties.

which 12 hour is this weekend? im hoping to get the weekend off for the Neilsville 100 WEMS, hope to see you there?
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    heck yeah man!

Ive been running and recommending Fast Trak Pros for over a year now to everyone that asks what the tire is for our local trails. They really are the real deal..... Makes me wonder if its just our midwestern soil..... Even the Specy guys dont consider the FT the best tire, most of them Cali boys say they like the resolution better.

i ride the 29er version myself with a tube, and couldnt be happier.

funny, i tried a FT front, SmallBlock8 rear combo last weekend. felt like I was Nascar racing. The rear end had drift on corners...... The SB8 is also a rippin fast tire, but just not as much edge hold on the twisties.

which 12 hour is this weekend? im hoping to get the weekend off for the Neilsville 100 WEMS, hope to see you there?
    No 12hr for me this weekend. This was a resurrected post from last year so my comment about the 12hr race is about 12 months old. I'll prolly only be doing the Nine Mile or Afton Alps endurance events this year- I'm racing ALL of the MNSCS series races this season. Steeplechase in Mazeppa, MN is this Sunday, Afton next Sunday then the Dirt Spanker in Duluth after that, I think. OT, if you like the Fastrax you will love the Pana. Razers. It's too early in the season really to run the Crows but the Razers might just be the next best rollers, IMO.
    William S. Burroughs