Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Superlight AEST platform pedals

Does anyone have any experience with these pedals from AEST? I know people have used their pulleys in derailleurs, but no luck finding reviews of their pedals. They make smaller less capable looking pedals, but these look to have enough pins and a large enough platform that they should be acceptable.

Anyway, they are super light, cheap and have a large enough platform to be considered an option for most people.

92mm x 90mm x 16mm
    280g for a Ti axle pedal.
    $80ish

AEST Bike MTB BMX Platform Flat Pedals CNC Titanium Spindle TI Axle Blue | eBay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superlight AEST platform pedals-aest_img_5281_zps5caa047a.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have a set and ordered a second. Light and cheap, full bearings and spins forever.

I have them on my xc and cannot imagine they would hold up on my Slayer as the aluminum is soft. One rock stike and I think they would be done however, for the price I won them at, I could not be happier.

They only weigh 280 grams as advertised.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superlight AEST platform pedals-aest-pedals-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    can I ask what bike/trails you're riding and weight? I'm thinking of these for my lady friend, and she's a relatively paltry 120# and pretty light on the bike... would go on a women's giant reign... seems like it should be fine...

i figured it might be a toss up between potentially breaking the ti axle vs the minimalist pedal body...

thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm a little over 170lbs geared up but have not had any time on the trails with these pedals yet. Mainly training on the road with my Element MSL at this point so I can't tell you about the durability of the axles although breaking the axles has never even entered my mind.

I won the pictured ones from eBay for $45 shipped and the blues ones for a steal at $36 shipped.

metrotuned WoS
    powderturns, how's the platform width? You can check out other lightweight platforms in the thread see my signature.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    they are a tad smaller than some other plats out there, but probably not a deal breaker for most people. should work for the GF and I may give them a go as well...
    dimensions are: 92mm x 90mm x 16mm

and actually I just got word that XPEDO released the spry pedals yesterday, so I'm probably going that route, along with some other different pin offerings...
    http://xpedo.com/products/pedals/platform/144/spry-[new]

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the news info about the Spry ! Got myself very interested after settling on the Wellgo MG1.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    yeah - i wrote xpedo earlier this spring when I saw the spy shots on vital and other places. they were kind enough to email me yesterday to let me know they were available. i was wondering if it was going to be another one of those bike products that never get beyond the proto stage... now we just have to hope they are durable. i think they will be.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    With a chromoly spindle, I guess it's durable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    After just got Titanium AEST pedals off ebay for 46 dollars! i did a quick video comparing them and Wellgo MG-1. Unboxing - AEST titanium Platform Pedals vs Wellgo MG-1 - YouTube
    I don't have a scale sensitive enough to verify the weight, but they are definitely light. Overall, they seem ok. Just smaller than the Wellgo. I suppose time will tell.

mtbr member
    Had some time on my blue set and found the right pedal cage worked it's way loose from the shaft. I ended up taking it apart and tightened the end bolt with some thread locker which seemed to do the trick.

mtbr member

Re: Superlight AEST platform pedals

What exactly can happen to a pedal? Is it the spindle the fails or does the darn thing just shatter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    What exactly can happen to a pedal? Is it the spindle the fails or does the darn thing just shatter?
    Nothing so dramatic. The spindle holds the cage body and bearings by an end bolt like any other pedal made. This bolt was only hand tightened when i received the pedal and started to work it's way loose to the point where the cage had significant play. I took the end cap off and then the end bolt. Dropped a dab of thread locker on the end of the spindle and problem fixed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    some guys talk about shattering the magnesium pedal bodies. i've ridden mag pedals for years with some rock strikes (a few bad) and come out fine... i think the clydes and the core freeride/dh guys might err on the side of caution, but for us mortals, we should be just fine

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I received my 79g AEST Mg+Ti 80x80 mm flats from the top of the page here:
    Exustar Pedals, KCNC Pedals, Platform and Road Pedals

They are both right at 78g and seem well made though the platforms are so light I'm sure they are easy to shatter. I'm only going to be using them for commuting so hopefully they hold up for a while. Bearings were not tightly fit so they are easy to get out. They are one NBK 686Z outboard and two unmarked 10x15x4 on the inboard end of the spindle. Out of the box they could do with some more grease on the seals and bearings to keep water out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superlight AEST platform pedals-img_20140102_173049.jpg  

Superlight AEST platform pedals-img_20140102_172848.jpg  

Last edited by zink; 01-02-2014 at 06:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Those are a steal at $45 considering their weight...let us know how they hold up.

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=zink;10911673]I received my 79g AEST Mg+Ti 80x80 mm flats from the top of the page here:
    Exustar Pedals, KCNC Pedals, Platform and Road Pedals

whats the length x width square dimension of the platform?

looking at utilizing a pair of these for my 8yr old boys bike build.

cheers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zink View Post
    80x80 mm flats
    It is very close to 80 mm in both directions. I think 78 mm wide and 82 mm front to back trying to measure the actual usable pinned area?

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    that's a pretty descent square footage (:

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I ordered some 170g claimed pedals. actual weight 171g

Black AEST MTB BMX Bike Flat Platform Pedals CNC Titanium Spindle TI Axle 170g | eBay

a little of play grabbing the spindle and the pedal, we'll see how it holds up. They are also pretty narrow as you can see. I deconstructed one.

deconstruction:
    5mm hex normal threaded remove end cap.
    turn upside down and knock out the spacer (or loosen with needle nose)
    8mm reverse threaded to remove nut
    remove spindle
    remove bearings.

mtbr member

Re: Superlight AEST platform pedals

Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post

Black AEST MTB BMX Bike Flat Platform Pedals CNC Titanium Spindle TI Axle 170g | eBay

a little of play grabbing the spindle and the pedal, we'll see how it holds up. They are also pretty narrow as you can see. I deconstructed one.

deconstruction:
    remove spindle
    remove bearings.

Let us know how they hold up. Im still intrigued.

mtbr member
    May 2014

Just registered in order to ask this question. . .

Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post

deconstruction:
    remove spindle
    remove bearings.

Would you be able to tell me the size or bearing #s for the bearings used in these pedals? I actually posed this same question to the seller on Ebay and they said they couldn't help me! Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    I tried this types of pedals.
    Due to axis convex, I have permanently pain in foot while pedaling.
    Sorry, bad english.
    10.0kg custom.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

just destroyed mine...

this is the super-lightweight version, of magnesium:

Superlight AEST platform pedals-pedal.jpg

Pretty solid rock-strike, but my foot didn't even come off the pedal. I've hit them a few times, so it may have been weakened. I may get one of the larger ones, it served well for about 6 months.

mtbr member
    I don't know man. Not sure if "served well" and [lasted] "6 months" go together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast