I'd rather be riding

Superfly Al Weight Loss

Hey everyone,

Just looking for some budge friendly tips as to getting this a bit lighter. I have 2.2 Ikon's on the way for summer, I'm considering the Crest Stock build (I like the Bonty's for winter as they are indestructible and I train on rocky rough trails most of the week). Other than that I've though of 1x10 but I like the gear range for riding on the road and endurance races. I've tried ESI's but don't seem to get along well with them, maybe time for foam?

What other things would you all change to loose weight?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Delete

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If it was me I would look at the fork, and
    wheels to lose weight.

official eMpTyBRain
    *new stem could take 35 grams away
    *new seat post could take nearly 50 grams away
    *foam grips could take 30 grams away
    *DEFINATELY new wheel set. I love my Crest wheel set
    *different tires could save over 100 grams
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

My 2012 Superfly AL Elite

I have wheelset, hope hubs, db spokes, stans crest rims, AL nipples, tubeless, bonty 29-1 x 2.0 Team issue and 1x10

Before I changed foam grips from stock bolt-on (bonty with ribs) and bolt on skewers I was @ 22.5lbs. (frame size med, per rapala fishing scale)

I plan on changing brake rotors from Dirty Dog Spider Web to Ashima (120gr ? to 86grm)

My stock seat weighs 270gr - thinking of Selle Italia SLR XC Flow @ 180gr

Maybe I will change my cassette.
    I have Sram 1050 11/36 (363gr). changing to 1050 11/32 = 299gr
    (I can't see spending $200 on 1080 11/36 cassette @ 240gr)

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    I have wheelset, hope hubs, db spokes, stans crest rims, AL nipples, tubeless, bonty 29-1 x 2.0 Team issue and 1x10

Before I changed foam grips from stock bolt-on (bonty with ribs) and bolt on skewers I was @ 22.5lbs. (frame size med, per rapala fishing scale)

I plan on changing brake rotors from Dirty Dog Spider Web to Ashima (120gr ? to 86grm)

My stock seat weighs 270gr - thinking of Selle Italia SLR XC Flow @ 180gr

Maybe I will change my cassette.
    I have Sram 1050 11/36 (363gr). changing to 1050 11/32 = 299gr
    (I can't see spending $200 on 1080 11/36 cassette @ 240gr)
    Do you really use your 36 tooth gear a whole lot? By going with a 34 tooth cassette, you'll be losing even more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

11/32 cassette

Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Do you really use your 36 tooth gear a whole lot? By going with a 34 tooth cassette, you'll be losing even more.
    I did not use 36 at all last season. I may leave it on for first race of year. (Biggest hill in Illinois series)

Last year I ended going out to hard , it was a mud fest and I ended up having to walk it up.

I have 32 in front for 1x10. I figure if I go with 11/32 1050 cassette i will save 64 grams (rotating weight) for less than $50

official eMpTyBRain
    I did not use 36 at all last season. I may leave it on for first race of year. (Biggest hill in Illinois series)

Last year I ended going out to hard , it was a mud fest and I ended up having to walk it up.

I have 32 in front for 1x10. I figure if I go with 11/32 1050 cassette i will save 64 grams (rotating weight) for less than $50
    There ya go! My low granny combo is 26/32. I thought I would die dealing with all the prolonged steep climbing we have out here, but I got used to it fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    There ya go! My low granny combo is 26/32. I thought I would die dealing with all the prolonged steep climbing we have out here, but I got used to it fast.
    So your running 32t in front and your biggest in rear is 26? Is that a road cassette?

official eMpTyBRain
    So your running 32t in front and your biggest in rear is 26? Is that a road cassette?
    Ooops, posted that backwards. I'm running 26/38 up front and 11-32 behind.

I'd rather be riding
    I was pushing 28/40 rings up front with an 11-36 and still wanted more gear on the low end. I found the 40 just put me in the wrong part of the cassette for general riding and the 26 is nice for a bail out gear. I plan on trying a 100 miler or two and perhaps doing BURN24 again, so I like having a good sized gear range for the death marches.

As for weight I'm thinking ikon's with the crest (or another 1600g) wheelset and I'll be good. Maybe give the foam grips a shot too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I love my ritchey foam grips. A little bit if hair spray and they have never moved. Even in heavy rain

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

My Bonty grips

Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    I love my ritchey foam grips. A little bit if hair spray and they have never moved. Even in heavy rain
    I tried paint on my bonty foam grips (Race X-lite @ 28gr) but outsides "throttled" on me

It maybe over kill... but no problems since I super glued them

Put glue on 'inner' part of bar (3-4" from end of bar)- then put rest on 'outer' part of grip (outer 2" of grip)