Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sun-Ringle Black Flag XC wheelset review

16K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  poontank 
#1 ·
I can't find any reviews on these wheels. They seem too good to be true; sub 1300g for less than 400. Please help!

#3 ·
I got this from an online dealer:

"We have sold quite a few, and haven't heard anything bad back from anyone. The disc ones are 1420'ish, and the non disc are 1260'ish. But as with anything the extra weight loss is at the expense of strength. It depends more on your riding style more than anything. If you are a smooth rider you should be fine. I'm 150 and I destroy anything lightweight in the wheel dept. because I'm not smooth or talented."

I am a tad heavier but I like to climb with my single speed. I guess they can work for me. Any opinions?

#4 ·
backlaboy said:
"We have sold quite a few, and haven't heard anything bad back from anyone. The disc ones are 1420'ish, and the non disc are 1260'ish. But as with anything the extra weight loss is at the expense of strength. It depends more on your riding style more than anything. If you are a smooth rider you should be fine. I'm 150 and I destroy anything lightweight in the wheel dept. because I'm not smooth or talented."

I am a tad heavier but I like to climb with my single speed. I guess they can work for me. Any opinions?
Who? No one I've seen has it in stock. It's a bit suspicious that such a light and cheap wheelset has so few user comments.

Here's a WW forum thread with one person claiming they own it:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2224&highlight=black+flag

#8 ·
Cambria told me the same

I ordered them and yes, they are out of stock.

BTW, my single speed is roughly 19lbs right now. I can shave a 1lb with these wheel sets and another by running Ritchey Z-min tires. I just bought my 1st full suspension and I realized I like the simplicity and responsiveness of a light hard tail. Its listed on Craigs list; 2007 Mongoose Canaan Elite. Pass it on. I don't know why I am telling you this but I have been sick for a month now and I am going crazy!:madman:

#12 ·
Response from Sun

kylebaxter said:
I spoke to Sun-Ringle multiple times this summer and they said the wheels are out of stock for good.
This is an email I got from Sun. I asked them if they no longer make the Black Flag.

Hi Robert, that is not true if you go to www.sun-ringle.com click on
MTB then wheel sets XC you can find our Black Flag and Black Flag Ceramic
wheel sets. So spread the word we are still making this wheel set.
Cheers,

Colin Powell
Hayes Bicycle Group - warranty tech support
Hayes Disc Brakes - Sun/Ringle - Mantiou Suspension
1-888-686-3472
hayestech@hayesbicycle.com - suntech@hayesbicycle.com -
manitoutech@hayesbicycle.com
www.hayesbicycle.com

#13 ·
Colin Powell now works at Hayes!

backlaboy said:
This is an email I got from Sun. I asked them if they no longer make the Black Flag.

Hi Robert, that is not true if you go to www.sun-ringle.com click on
MTB then wheel sets XC you can find our Black Flag and Black Flag Ceramic
wheel sets. So spread the word we are still making this wheel set.
Cheers,

Colin Powell
Hayes Bicycle Group - warranty tech support
Hayes Disc Brakes - Sun/Ringle - Mantiou Suspension
1-888-686-3472
hayestech@hayesbicycle.com - suntech@hayesbicycle.com -
manitoutech@hayesbicycle.com
www.hayesbicycle.com
Is this where he wound up after working for Bush? I hope this email is bullsh*t.

#14 ·
I've been looking for these wheels for two years now and can not find them either. Great to see them in disc now. I am 190 and break everything I touch so I am looking forward to trying these if I can find them. If I find them I'll post a review this summer. If anybody finds a set send me an email. In the meantime I'll probably holler at Sun Ringle/Hayes in the comming weeks.

As you all mention they have been terminally unavailable for at least two years...WTF Hayes Bicycle Group? Stop "acquiring" every small company that's not nailed down and make some GD parts!!

#20 ·
Jeez Ooh my foot!

Jenson...out of stock
smart bike...rim brake only
chain reaction..rim brake only, out of stock, and in the UK so doesn't count

didn't get to check the other yet but it's just what the ealier posts in the thread said...not available.

Many pics in online catalogs...no actual product (disc) available

#21 ·
I got a pair from Cambria.

I think they are always back ordered that's why noone has them in stock. I put an order in at Cabria and they shipped several weeks later.

I am currently having problems with them. I had to send them back to Hayes. The weld that joins the ends of the rims together can be felt along the rim surface. This shouldn't be a problem for those that buy the disk rim. Anyhow, the brakes "stuttered" when applied and they squeeled like crazy. I should get them back soon. I will keep everyone posted.

P.S. They weighed in at 1376g not sub 1300g as advertised.

#23 ·
backlaboy said:
I think they are always back ordered that's why noone has them in stock. I put an order in at Cabria and they shipped several weeks later.

I am currently having problems with them. I had to send them back to Hayes. The weld that joins the ends of the rims together can be felt along the rim surface. This shouldn't be a problem for those that buy the disk rim. Anyhow, the brakes "stuttered" when applied and they squeeled like crazy. I should get them back soon. I will keep everyone posted.

P.S. They weighed in at 1376g not sub 1300g as advertised.
backlaboy...

any other probs? What do you weigh? Ride?

thanks bud.

Point taken Tiffster. Kudos to these shops for trying to get them to us.

#24 ·
more info

I am roughly 175lb right now. I can get all the way down to 150lb when I am in peek condition. I currently have these wheels on my SS. I have a rigid carbon fork. I basically ride uphill and smooth on the down hills. No jumping or bonzai downhills for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.