mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Suggestions on how to lose 1-2lbs. on my S-Works FSR

Need suggestions on how to lose 1-2lbs on my set up so I can bring my XC ride below 25lbs... Looking more for little things as opposed to major component changes.

Current Setup--

2003 S-Works FSR with Brain Shock
    Fox Float F100x
    Chris King NoThreadset
    Thomson Elite stem and setback seatpost
    Easton EC70 Monkeylite XC
    ODI Ruffian Lock On Grips
    Full XTR Drivetrain
    M959 XTR Pedals
    XTR Wheelset with Tubeless (With Stan's Sealant) Conti Explorer Tires (26x2.1)
    Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow Saddle

Thanks...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just passing through....

A few things

Quote Originally Posted by thechilloutproject
    Need suggestions on how to lose 1-2lbs on my set up so I can bring my XC ride below 25lbs... Looking more for little things as opposed to major component changes.

Current Setup--

2003 S-Works FSR with Brain Shock
    Fox Float F100x
    Chris King NoThreadset
    Thomson Elite stem and setback seatpost
    Easton EC70 Monkeylite XC
    ODI Ruffian Lock On Grips
    Full XTR Drivetrain
    M959 XTR Pedals
    XTR Wheelset with Tubeless (With Stan's Sealant) Conti Explorer Tires (26x2.1)
    Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow Saddle

Thanks...
    SLR Ti Saddle
    Foam Grips
    There are lighter tires, but choose based on your preference
    Eggbeater Triple Ti Pedals (Shimanos are heavy, you'd lose 1/2 pound right there)
    Syntace F99 Stem (Thomson stems are somewhat heavy also)
    V-Brakes, but thats another thread
    Mavic/Chris king wheelset would save over the XTR

You've got a killer setup as it is. Its not the lightest that it could be, but I bet it performs extremely well. The pedals, grips, saddle, and stem are the biggest opportunity for weight loss here without a trade off in performance. There are other places to save smaller amounts of weight, but probably not worth it (carbon seatpost, flat handlebar, etc). You can also resort to tuning with aluminum bolts to get some cheap grams.

Trail rider and racer

That thing is great to start with.

Nice rig, for starters. I wouldn't stress too much but:
    • Std tyres + latex
    • Foam grips
    • Triple Ti or Double Ti eggies
    • Standard SLR

Frankly I would leave it be, it looks good and most importantly it is functionable and reliability. Sometimes with weight loss comes a loss of reliability or durability.

Trevor!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks

Yeah, the bike works great. I chose all the components carefully but was just a bit annoyed that the built bike din't come in under 25lbs. I wanted to make sure I didn't have a glaring mistake in one or two of the components I've used. I guess my impression was that XC race setups are supposed to be under that 25lb. weight...

Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions and the inputs...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out my Epic on the Light Bikes Full Suspension page. 21 pounds! Lee

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I can't find 2 pounds in your small stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by thechilloutproject
    Yeah, the bike works great. I chose all the components carefully but was just a bit annoyed that the built bike din't come in under 25lbs. I wanted to make sure I didn't have a glaring mistake in one or two of the components I've used. I guess my impression was that XC race setups are supposed to be under that 25lb. weight...

Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions and the inputs...
    You already have pretty lightweight "little" stuff, and I can't see shaving more than a pound by switching pedals, tires, grips, and saddle. However, your 100-mm Fox fork and wheelset are really heavy compared to "lightweight XC" racers. Fox forks are great, but by no means light, probably a pound and a half heavier than the lightest SID that most weight weenies go with. And you could shave another pound at least with a superlight wheelset. But you didn't want to change major components, so I think it'll be tough to shave that much weight. If you like the way it rides, you'd probably be unhappy with a SID and a different wheelset, so I wouldn't mess with it.

mtbr member

Get a SID

it is the only shock worth racing in. Don't let the rockshox bashers scare you away. I've had two that worked flawlessly. And I weigh 190
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go to a Manitou Skareb Super as I did and you can save 3/4 pound. Not as "tech" as the Fox (I had one) but MUCH more rigid than the Sids (I know I have had three Sids, but never again until a redesign) and you really get 3" of travel.

Just passing through....

Just curious...

What size is it? Mines an XL (also on light-bikes.com), but I opted for some lighter components that probably won't perform as well as yours (I have ultra light weight V-brakes, which work fine for the type of riding I do, plus Kooka levers), plus mines an M4, so the frame will be a smidge heavier.

mtbr member

Such a nice build! I wouldn't.....

change anything!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

frame size

medium

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Skareb only slightly lighter than Fox...much heavier than SID

Quote Originally Posted by Leebherron
    Go to a Manitou Skareb Super as I did and you can save 3/4 pound. Not as "tech" as the Fox (I had one) but MUCH more rigid than the Sids (I know I have had three Sids, but never again until a redesign) and you really get 3" of travel.
    I was intriqued from your posting so I looked up the Skareb Super's weight. 3.32lbs according to Jenson. That is about .3lb less than the Fox Float. The SID is only 2.6lbs. Still the Manitou Skareb is a better deal than the Fox and if it performs as well and is cheaper to boot...it might be on my next bike (vs. another Fox Float.)

Danny